Minneapolis (MSP) Layover Question

John99

We (retirees) booked an Alaskan cruise/tour (EB4) for July 12th, 2022 on the Royal Princess. 

Flights to Alaska have just open up for booking.  We booked EZ Air (Delta) with a layover in Minneapolis.  We’ve never been to Minneapolis – MSP - so we don’t know what to expect relative to layover times.  Is 1 hr 10 minutes layover at MSP doable?  What should we expect?  Is MSP airport easy to navigate to catch a plane?  Or should we look at another option?  Air fare seems really high compared to other Alaskan cruises we’ve taken in the past.   We will rebook if the price goes down.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be helpful.

DTW to ANC with a layover @ MSP of 1hr 10 minutes

(1:58pm – 6:40pm – total duration 8hrs 42 minutes)

Other Option that is being considered:

DTW to ANC with a layover @ MSP of 3hrs 20 minutes

(1:58pm – 8:50pm – total duration 10hrs 22 minutes)

John

Doable - yes.  But MSP is an airport that you want to understand before you just arrive there.  It is a sprawling building.

Here's a map that's pretty decent to show you the layout.  It's like a big square, with a few concourses sticking out at various ends.  The thing to know is that there is a moving walkway running the length of the "G" side of the square, and there is a moving walkway and a train on the "C" side.  In addition, between C and G (on the side near the A/B) there is also a moving walkway.  However, there are no walkways on the E and F concourses, nor across the main terminal building.

DL has carts to assist people with mobility issues, but they are in strong demand and should not be counted on to make short connections.

Personally, I'd take the longer connect.  You're going to be flying for a good while, and the longer connect gives you both cushion for any delays, plus you can get a meal at MSP.  While closed right now, I would recommend The Cook & The Ox, a quality steakhouse in the airport.  Hopefully will be back open as travel picks up.  But there are some other good places as well.

MSP-T1-Map.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John99 said:

Other Option that is being considered:

DTW to ANC with a layover @ MSP of 3hrs 20 minutes

(1:58pm – 8:50pm – total duration 10hrs 22 minutes)

I would choose this one.  

As Flyertalker posted, MSP is a very large, sprawling terminal.  If your flight from DTW is on a regular Delta plane, you probably would arrive at a gate that would be closer to your ANC flight than if your flight is on a Delta Connection flight.  I have flown into MSP several times from DAY and it has always been a Delta Connection flight.  The gates for those flights are quite a ways away from the gates have been for the ANC flights.  

I'd recommend requesting cart assistance for transfer between gates when you make your reservations.  By including that request as part of your booking, it is more likely that a cart will be waiting for you when you leave your flight from DTW.  

Even though MSP is a large airport, it is a nice one and I have never been sorry to have a long layover.  And, as Flyertalker mentioned, there are amble, nice places to get something to eat.  

• Like 1