TA/TP vs. Repositioning

Most TP cruises are repositioning voyages.  Many, but not all TA cruises are repositioning cruises.  The true TA cruises are crossings from Europe to the US on Queen Mary 2.  

There are TA and TP crossings that are part of a longer cruise such as a world cruise or a cruise that starts in the US, visits ports in Asia and/or the South Pacific, and then returns to the US.  

• Like 2

When they cross the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean they will call them Trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific Cruises.  If they are moving the ship without crossing one of the two oceans they will call it repositioning.  They also have some Trans-Atlantic cruises just to cross the ocean because people like and book the cruises with the sea days.

Repositioning simply means they are changing their embarkation ports for the season.

There are a lot of TransAtlantic repositioning in the spring/fall as ship transition from US Caribbean winter cruising to Europe Mediterranean cruising, and TransPacific repositioning from New Zealand/Australian to the summer Alaskan cruising.

There are also repositioning cruises from/to Alaska to Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and from Canada from/to Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

I have found the cost (per day) for the repositioning portions (those with many sea days) is typically 20-30% less expensive that the preceding/following leg (which I also typically add on - sometimes in a "Collector" cruise).

I prefer the long periods of sea days, some folks like the port to port cruising - go figure.