Cruising newbie - what tips or advice do you wish you were given?

Sidney68

Hi, great to connect and what a helpful resource this site is proving to be!

As someone who is about to embark on their very first cruise, what advice or tips would you give me or perhaps wish someone had told you? 

My partner and I are due to depart on a 14 night cruise on Odyssey departing Bridgetown on 13th November. Whilst I am very excited, I am also slightly daunted too, any advice would be appreciated!   Thank you 

1 hour ago, Sidney68 said:

Hi, great to connect and what a helpful resource this site is proving to be!

As someone who is about to embark on their very first cruise, what advice or tips would you give me or perhaps wish someone had told you? 

My partner and I are due to depart on a 14 night cruise on Odyssey departing Bridgetown on 13th November. Whilst I am very excited, I am also slightly daunted too, any advice would be appreciated!   Thank you 

Try to embark on the early side.  Visit SB square to check on your tours and reservations and get your wi-fi set up. Rebook prepaid excursions to use onboard credit if you have it. Tour the ship to find out where all venues are. Go to the Sky Bar and have some champagne. 

Enjoy.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3

Pack carefully, being sure to have clothing suitable for dinner in the evening and for exploring ports.  You can have Seabourn do laundry for you while you are onboard.  A laundry bag is provided and it holds a lot.  SB will do the whole bag of laundry for $50.00.  Shirts/blouses/trousers/pants will be returned on hangers and put into your closet for you.  Socks, underwear, etc will be neatly folded.  Take advantage of this instead of spending time trying to do it yourself while you are on vacation.  Knowing that you can have the laundry done, means you can pack lighter.  Bring sturdy walking shoes for port exploration.  

In the first couple of days, try to enjoy all the different venues and activities of the ship so that you will know what you most enjoy---the sail aways on the deck, meals in the different venues (MDR, Colonnade, Earth and Ocean, around the pool at lunchtime, etc. ) Go to the Club and see what that is like.  Go to the shows and see if you enjoy that.  Go to tea in the afternoon and see what that is about.  Go for pre-dinner drinks and tidbits in the Observation Bar.  Order room service breakfast!  Order caviar whenever you want it.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No disrespect to previous comments...........our biggest regret that we had was that we didn't listen to advice about going on Seabourn from some friends 10 years earlier................ 

Have a great vacation

• Like 5

Gratuities included in fare paid.   This means gratuities have been covered.   It might be hard to believe, but it is long tradition and are not expected by SB crew.  There is such thing as crew fund that is worthwhile way to show appreciation.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...