Prohibited items

neverlaysup

13 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Just spoke with my wife and she said her room attendant came by this morning and gave her a slip detailing what items were removed from her bag. In short, they did open her bag without her being present and remove the items. Now she will attempt to reclaim them.....

That's just bizarre.  Celebrity leaves itself open to all sorts of accusations by opening her luggage without her being present.  (Apparently it wasn't locked?)  Which is why they have that protocol in the first place.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Twice on Celebrity cruises I've been called to go to the security offices as screening had detected something in my bag that was possibly prohibited. I had to open the bag for inspection by the security staff, and in both cases the items were permitted. It seems pretty obvious that the OP's wife's loss had nothing to do with Celebrity.

Well, perhaps not so obvious! 😬

Going back more than ten years, I used to read complaints from people having had their bags opened by crew, somewhere in the process of baggage being brought onboard. That was when I started putting plastic ties on all my luggage, so I would know if anything had been opened.

But our own single experience was last cruise, Nov 2019 on RC Indy, where we were called down because an Xray had shown a suspicious-looking bottle, same general shape as a whiskey pint. We all laughed (3 of our group went down with us to check it out) knowing my lady NEVER drinks more than a single glass of wine maybe 3-4 times a year. It was a personal-care item, a big bottle of her favorite hand lotion with a pump on top.

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Checked Suitcases are not screened/xrayed until already loaded onto the ship. ...

Also several years ago there was a debate about whether Port Security scans checked baggage on the way out of the building. Of course everything we carry on is scanned or inspected when we go through security check-in, including luggage if we carry it on. WE are scanned. My question has always been, why should Port Security bother scanning luggage or anything we carry on (and thus clog up security check-in) -- but not the baggage that we check before entering the building? I am firmly convinced that Port Pecurity (not ship's crew) should also scan every piece of checked luggage, for security's sake, and I certainly hope they do, not matter what others have told me.

One time (just once) we did get an item confiscated by security -- it was a paring knife my lady had used at our timeshare-stay the night before. She had completely forgotten it was there, and even how/when/why she put it there. Embarrassing for a few moments, but also very comforting that the security folks and their equipment were doing the job.

But hair-care devices not included onboard, and a simple must-have/no-blade/not-a-hammer-tool? I would make sure to complain to everybody who would be still long enough to listen or read.

8 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Going back more than ten years, I used to read complaints from people having had their bags opened by crew, somewhere in the process of baggage being brought onboard. That was when I started putting plastic ties on all my luggage, so I would know if anything had been opened.

But our own single experience was last cruise, Nov 2019 on RC Indy, where we were called down because an Xray had shown a suspicious-looking bottle, same general shape as a whiskey pint. We all laughed (3 of our group went down with us to check it out) knowing my lady NEVER drinks more than a single glass of wine maybe 3-4 times a year. It was a personal-care item, a big bottle of her favorite hand lotion with a pump on top.

Also several years ago there was a debate about whether Port Security scans checked baggage on the way out of the building. Of course everything we carry on is scanned or inspected when we go through security check-in, including luggage if we carry it on. WE are scanned. My question has always been, why should Port Security bother scanning luggage or anything we carry on (and thus clog up security check-in) -- but not the baggage that we check before entering the building? I am firmly convinced that Port Pecurity (not ship's crew) should also scan every piece of checked luggage, for security's sake, and I certainly hope they do, not matter what others have told me.

One time (just once) we did get an item confiscated by security -- it was a paring knife my lady had used at our timeshare-stay the night before. She had completely forgotten it was there, and even how/when/why she put it there. Embarrassing for a few moments, but also very comforting that the security folks and their equipment were doing the job.

But hair-care devices not included onboard, and a simple must-have/no-blade/not-a-hammer-tool? I would make sure to complain to everybody who would be still long enough to listen or read.

I travel with a small swiss army type knife in our checked luggage.  Thankfully it's never been confiscated.  As a side note I never understood the policy of not allowing small knives onboard especially since they have giant steak knives available in any of the restaurants.

4 minutes ago, stones902 said:

I travel with a small swiss army type knife in our checked luggage.  Thankfully it's never been confiscated.  As a side note I never understood the policy of not allowing small knives onboard especially since they have giant steak knives available in any of the restaurants.

I hear ya, same for me, and the only time my smallest-they-make swiss army knife was confiscated was at the local courthouse. And the only reason I got it back was the deputy (not in the security line) knew me and where I used to work. He had to sneak it back to me. I worked in a courthouse once where a woman was stabbed by a vengeful ex with a screwdriver. Security had let him in with his tool bag, along with an ID as a "company" repairman. Yep, steak knives everywhere (can pick them up yourself in the buffet). But I guess they'll never allow us to bring our own steak knives because they're already in abundant supply on the ship? LOL. Yikes.  🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Just spoke with my wife and she said her room attendant came by this morning and gave her a slip detailing what items were removed from her bag. In short, they did open her bag without her being present and remove the items. Now she will attempt to reclaim them.....

Were bags locked?  We've been sailing with X almost 30 years and been called to the naughty room a couple of times but never seen an indication they opened one of our checked bags.  Opening a locked bag just doesn't seem right.    

8 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

The bag was not locked and as I type this my wife is informing me that the crew on the Millie say “Hair Straighteners are NOT allowed”. This is against the policy as stated on the website. As for now she is still trying to recover the items. 

This is not the first thread that I've read where action is taken on the ship in complete contradiction to Celebrity's published policy. Hopefully good sense will prevail and if your wife can show them the policy they'll recant:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board

Prohibited Items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • CBD Oil / CBD Products
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited...
  • Thanks 1

Follow up to my previous post. In Seattle, your bags are apparently searched by the port authority before going on the boat and you will NOT be present for that search. Additionally, according to the head of security on the Millie, despite what Celebrity's website says, HE says hair straighteners are NOT allowed on his boat. 

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

This is not the first thread that I've read where action is taken on the ship in complete contradiction to Celebrity's published policy. Hopefully good sense will prevail and if your wife can show them the policy they'll recant:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board

Prohibited Items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • CBD Oil / CBD Products
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited...

I know, my wife even showed this to the head of security, he says the rules have changed.

12 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

I know, my wife even showed this to the head of security, he says the rules have changed.

Besides the Captain and Staff Captain who is directly over the security personal on the ships? Still needs to be challenged. No way to start out a long awaited cruise. Like your wife and others we pack IAW Celebrity's published polices. Not when we are on the ship and someone says, oh by the way the rules have changed! Did she ask the head of security for a copy of the "new rules". I realize Celebrity's website is consistently inconsistent but...

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

My ship, my rules! We've seen it all before, and it always seems to end the same way.

I'd be on the phone to Captain's Club to see if anyone in Miami can bring a bit of reality to the situation. Probably not, but it would be worthwhile determining whether or not there has really been a change in rules. I'd guess that one or more of the security staff screwed up and the head is simply CYA'ing for his crew member.

• Like 3

We were on Millie to Alaska in July. They take anything that they don’t think yo7should have. Tom my wife’s small electric fan that we have cruised with for 10 years. Said it wasn’t “safe”. Had a UL sticker on the motor. Hair irons draw more power than a fan, yet they are allowed?. Long story short, fan was waiting on deck as we left. Told security officer to shove it. Will be bringing a battery powered fan next time and dare them to confiscate it.

1 minute ago, rcclmiami said:

We were on Millie to Alaska in July. They take anything that they don’t think yo7should have. Tom my wife’s small electric fan that we have cruised with for 10 years. Said it wasn’t “safe”. Had a UL sticker on the motor. Hair irons draw more power than a fan, yet they are allowed?. Long story short, fan was waiting on deck as we left. Told security officer to shove it. Will be bringing a battery powered fan next time and dare them to confiscate it.

Maybe you misunderstood. Perhaps the kind security crew member was afraid that you'd stick your finger into the spinning blades. Accidentally, of course. That definitely wouldn't be safe! 🙄

6 minutes ago, rcclmiami said:

My wife had a travel fan in the suitcase that was allowed. Love they are so consistent on the rules!!

6 minutes ago, rcclmiami said:

If that is their new policy, (sounds like a Millie thing) that is bull! Wrong in so many different ways. Security should only be following, enforcing and adhering to Celebrity's published policy and not their (security's) interpretation or assumption of what is allowed or not allowed.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

@neverlaysup, I saw on another thread you were on the Equinox earlier this year. What your wife is currently experiencing on the Millennium I take it you didn't experience on the Equinox?  

No, we got off the Equinox Sep 17 and no issues with anything. Just like this cruise, all items were packed in her suitcase. This may be a case of 1 person making some new rules or "interpreting" the existing rules in a new and confusing way!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

No, we got off the Equinox Sep 17 and no issues with anything. Just like this cruise, all items were packed in her suitcase. This may be a case of 1 person making some new rules or "interpreting" the existing rules in a new and confusing way!

Yep, sounds like a crew of security that doesn't know Celebrity's published policy of what is acceptable and what isn't. That's why there are documents/policies and procedures that should be referenced and followed when in doubt. Not someone's interpretation. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Maybe you misunderstood. Perhaps the kind security crew member was afraid that you'd stick your finger into the spinning blades. Accidentally, of course. That definitely wouldn't be safe! 🙄

Perhaps the kind security crew member just thought they were doing their job. Don't think he/she thought they'd be starting a CC war over a curling iron.  Much ado about nothing, IMHO

Wrenches aka spanners can be dangerous weapons...so I was told once on an X cruise.  I always kept one in my camera bag back in my working days for quick repairs to monopods, tripods etc.  This happened about 5 days into a 10 night cruise when re-boarding the ship.  Some of these "security" guys are on a power trip much like the TSA guys.  They offered to hold it for me and I suggested that they keep in since I had six more at home....DW wold not let me tell them where I thought they should keep it......

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Perhaps the kind security crew member just thought they were doing their job. Don't think he/she thought they'd be starting a CC war over a curling iron.  Much ado about nothing, IMHO

I disagree. IMO, it isn't. If they don't know their job, then ask for the document that gives them clear guidance. That's what they get paid to do. They don't get paid to assume or interpret a published policy.  Substitute curling iron with whatever. Maybe my razor or my spray cologne can be consider a weapon and not allowed. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

No doubt, as it doesn't affect you. 😇   I'm pretty sure that the OP's wife would disagree.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2