NCL Pearl or Emerald Princess for Partial Transit Cruise?

core412

Hi all,

Currently in the research stage for a potential future Panama Canal Cruise.

Our group has cruised with Royal Caribbean & Disney Cruise Line in the past for other destinations, however the main options coming up for a Panama Canal cruise with dates that would work for us are either on the Norwegian Cruise Line Pearl or the Emerald Princess (either would be a partial transit).

I'm feeling like a fish out of water when looking into both cruise lines at the moment since we have not been with NCL or Princess prior................

Anyone here been on the NCL Pearl or Emerald Princess for a Panama Canal cruise previously? 

I would love some insight about onboard experiences with either vessel (or even just first-hand experience with NCL & Princess for Panama Canal in general).

Thanks & Happy Cruising! 🙂

First of all, you need to decide if you want to transit through the original locks, or the new locks.  NCL Pearl will transit the old Gatineau Locks.  Emerald Princess uses the new Aqua Clara Locks.  By ship, I would prefer Princess for the wrap around promenade deck.  But if you have not been through the canal before, the trip on Pearl will be more historic and fascinating.  I have done full transits through both sets of locks.  EM

• Like 1

Can't really help you in regards to which ship, but if I were headed to the Canal for the first time I would prefer a trip through the original locks first.  Not that I would pass on a trip through the new locks, it is just I don't feel that the new locks has the visual attractions.  They are just the single lane, no locks "mules", only tugs forward and aft to assist and often time they are out of view from the upper decks.  There is just more to feast your eyes at the original locks.

• Like 1