Just off September 25th, 7 night MERAVIGLIA - ask away!

CampNCruise74

7 hours ago, zounds said:

thanks, y'all for all the great info.  We're 1st timers with MSC sailing Oct. 9, but are experienced with HAL, NCL, RCI and Carnival, and I am really looking forward  to this cruise;  DW not so much, so I am trying to insure it's as stress-free as possible by getting as much info as possible.  We (I) made reser. at all-inclusive beach clubs at Coz. and Costa Maya although we are not really beach types, but I am sure we will enjoy them.  They were great rates and not thru MSC.  Thanks again and happy cruising  !!

No worries, glad to shed some light on things for people! What beach clubs did you reserve at Cozumel? We've done Mr Sancho's twice and thought it was pretty good especially with kids since we're all right there close together.

2 hours ago, Mar1Mar said:

Hello all, 

We are trying out MSC for the first time in a few weeks.  We were wondering how well the wifi signal held up? Also curious to know if you felt the need to dress up for dinner more than on other cruise lines?  We typically sail RC or Carnival, and even though we always dress nice, we don't ever break out the "prom" dresses because we are too lazy to pack it.   

I think the Wi-Fi on this boat is pretty strong.  You will see the little white sensors all over the place they're about the size of a GoPro.  I didn't get the Wi-Fi package but saw a number of people calling through WhatsApp and  some even out on the veranda decks. 

We typically don't dress up too much, my wife would wear a lightweight cotton dress and I usually wear khakis and polo shirt.  You'll see some people dress little spiffy, but I would say don't wear shorts in the included main dining area.  I remember some people on the Seaside being turned away because of that.  They used to try to do sort of themes with the dinners, but I think they're not as strongly emphasized as much as they once were.

9 hours ago, jcolley said:

Hi, glad to hear you had a great time! Thanks for making the effort to answer questions.

1) Do you know what brand the house wines are, included in the Easy package? Trying to decide on a beverage package. Also, did they offer deals on drink packages on the ship?

2) Do you have any MDR menus?

3) Any experience with Internet service, specifically the browse and stream option? I (unfortunately) have a work call on a sea day that requires streaming.

Thanks in advance!

QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY5_EN_1632347375(1).pdf

9 hours ago, jcolley said:

Hi, glad to hear you had a great time! Thanks for making the effort to answer questions.

1) Do you know what brand the house wines are, included in the Easy package? Trying to decide on a beverage package. Also, did they offer deals on drink packages on the ship?

2) Do you have any MDR menus?

QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY5_EN_1632347375(1).pdf

3) Any experience with Internet service, specifically the browse and stream option? I (unfortunately) have a work call on a sea day that requires streaming.

Thanks in advance!

QR_E_KAITO-SUSHI_OTHER_DAYX_EN_1632011510(1).pdf QR_TT_OCEAN-CAY_OTHER_DAYX_EN_1632180430(1).pdf QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY5_EN_1632347375(1).pdf QR_A_MD_LUNCH_DAY4_EN_1632357121(1).pdf

I'm taking my 20 month old with us.  Any recommendations on something I should bring or not bring?  

We have booked the fantastica experience.  What did you have?  I'm curious what's included with the included room service.

I'm also curious about the internet.  I'm planning to do a one device option and then use my mobile hotspot to connect tablets and maybe the Amazon stick.  Hoping that may work.  

MDR menus would be awesome to see.

Lastly, how did you do covid testing?  

Thanks in advance

To answer CampNCruise,  We are going back to Del Mar Latino in Cozumel.  We were there a few yrs. ago and it was great and the price of $ 29. PP is unbeatable. (normally $39. PP).   It is adults only with a capacity of 50 and is next door to Atlantis submarine.  Their extensive menu is great.  Last time only about 10-12 patrons were there.

1 hour ago, zounds said:

To answer CampNCruise,  We are going back to Del Mar Latino in Cozumel.  We were there a few yrs. ago and it was great and the price of $ 29. PP is unbeatable. (normally $39. PP).   It is adults only with a capacity of 50 and is next door to Atlantis submarine.  Their extensive menu is great.  Last time only about 10-12 patrons were there.

Thanks, looks like there might be some good easy snorkeling to see some fish too in between eats and drinks! 

8 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

I'm taking my 20 month old with us.  Any recommendations on something I should bring or not bring?  

We have booked the fantastica experience.  What did you have?  I'm curious what's included with the included room service.

I'm also curious about the internet.  I'm planning to do a one device option and then use my mobile hotspot to connect tablets and maybe the Amazon stick.  Hoping that may work.  

MDR menus would be awesome to see.

Lastly, how did you do covid testing?  

Thanks in advance

Bring a good stroller to use as a makeshift beach cart carryall around the island.  The trams leave out from the main area, but we never figured out where to pick them back up at once you were scattered on the island and most of the time they were full when returning.   Did anyone see a trolley/tram stop sign????   Our Citi Mini stroller worked great even though we have a 6 year old now.  The TV in the room has Nick and Cartoon network, but I don't think the Amazon Stick will have a enough throughput for movies unless someone here has posted about  that?  You might want to DL some from amazon Prime before you go.  Bring swim diapers and swim pants to put over it to keep it simple and not have any problem in the kids water park.  Bring a flashlight for the beach at night, and beyond that go buy some glowstick things for a buck at walmart (its Halloween time) to use on the island at night.  Our six year old loved the sand at night with the glow sticks.  NOTE: many glow sticks can be duds, so buy extra.  Maybe bring a kids plastic  shovel and some cars for the sand too. 

Don't forget swimmies, puddlejumper, or life jacket. They don't have any of these to use or buy that we saw.  Bring lots of kids snacks, I didn't see Cheerrios on board now.  With Fantastica, the main thing is better room views and free room service.  I don't find myself in the room that much, but did order milk and cookies at night a few times and I think you can even get a whole pizza ordered to your room with toppings of your choice too !  Next time i guess... They have a menu in the room you can scan the QR code of. 

I only had one MDR menu from lunch and dinner found above. 

Your child will get an additional antigen test at the gate by msc the first day and then you will go sit for a bit until the result comes back. he/she will also have to take another one at the end of the cruise which seemed less intrusive... 

OH AND IF YOU GO ON OCEAN CAY, BRING YOUR TAN ROOM POOL USE TOWELS WITH YOU.  They didn't have ones for us to borrow when we came off the landing from the boat (unlike the past).   That was a pain.  

One thing we did miss from previous msc cruises that was a very nice touch was the msc tents off the boat in ports that had the refreshing citrus water and ice cold towels to wash your hands and face off with....  😞   MSC, BRING THAT BACK!!!   I noticed the Celebrity boat across from us in Nassau had at least the water station when we were in Nassau. 

On 9/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, jcolley said:

Thanks in advance!

$27.99 for 24 hour stream for one device when purchased on the ship.

I posted a picture of all the prices on another thread.

Our first MSC cruise was on Meraviglia and it was great! First impression was that this is a mighty "fancy" ship! But, after we got over the awe of first impression, we realized she was a great ship with a great fun atmosphere. She is beautiful and the crew were some of the best we have experienced in all of our cruises. I tend to agree with others, the food could be improved on a bit but I assure you we did not go hungry!

One ding I would offer was on the day at Ocean Key. Plenty of space to enjoy some semi privacy, ample places for an adult beverage, and lots of flies on the food! Every place we saw for food was open air so the flys were abundant! Maybe a few more of those adult beverages and we would not have noticed or cared! 😁

1 hour ago, Sixtytwo said:

Our first MSC cruise was on Meraviglia and it was great! First impression was that this is a mighty "fancy" ship! But, after we got over the awe of first impression, we realized she was a great ship with a great fun atmosphere. She is beautiful and the crew were some of the best we have experienced in all of our cruises. I tend to agree with others, the food could be improved on a bit but I assure you we did not go hungry!

One ding I would offer was on the day at Ocean Key. Plenty of space to enjoy some semi privacy, ample places for an adult beverage, and lots of flies on the food! Every place we saw for food was open air so the flys were abundant! Maybe a few more of those adult beverages and we would not have noticed or cared! 😁

Yes, good call 62 I remember thinking that they need to put a fan there next to the cookies and other food.  The girl was working just as hard keeping them away as she was serving people.  I'm wondering how Disney did that on their Island because I don't remember any flies in there and it was pretty much the same setup...

On 10/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, CampNCruise74 said:

Yes, good call 62 I remember thinking that they need to put a fan there next to the cookies and other food.  The girl was working just as hard keeping them away as she was serving people.  I'm wondering how Disney did that on their Island because I don't remember any flies in there and it was pretty much the same setup...

Yep, after the fly episode, we just had to go back to the ship and indulge in a large cup of gelato! That made everything much better!

14 hours ago, Sixtytwo said:

Yep, after the fly episode, we just had to go back to the ship and indulge in a large cup of gelato! That made everything much better!

Yum yum, great choice!   What flavor did you go with?  We gravitated to the Pistachio flavor.  What was your favorite flavor?   Hey, I just thought of a new question to pose to the group....    🙂

3 hours ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Yum yum, great choice!   What flavor did you go with?  We gravitated to the Pistachio flavor.  What was your favorite flavor?   Hey, I just thought of a new question to pose to the group....    🙂

No particular one. We did like the pistachio and a couple of others. Whatever we tried was, as you say, yum-yum!

23 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Thanks for the input.   Does it have data caps and can you pull up youtube vids?

Unlimited data.  Youtube and other obvious streaming services seemed to be blocked.

I had read something somewhere about a "VPN trick" that would allow me to stream on the Browse plan, so I tried logging in to my work VPN, but I was not able to - my login kept erroring out.

Here's that thread - it may be helpful to you.

12 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Unlimited data.  Youtube and other obvious streaming services seemed to be blocked.

I had read something somewhere about a "VPN trick" that would allow me to stream on the Browse plan, so I tried logging in to my work VPN, but I was not able to - my login kept erroring out.

Here's that thread - it may be helpful to you.

Thanks for the details MonsterJoe!