Pre Cruise Covid Testing

HALrunner

On 10/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, *Miss G* said:

In my area (Metro DC: VA/MD/DE) the walk-in clinics and pharmacies are no longer testing for travel purposes.  CVS, in particular, recently cancelled my scheduled test with no warning and no alternatives.  I have seen the same in other States due to the surge so just wanted to give a heads up that the options are becoming limited as well as undependable.

That "no longer testing" comment interested me: I am not cruising until early December but I decided to do a check on current options for CVS Minute Clinics in my area (Fort Worth, TX) - just to see if things had changed here. For my September Cruise I used CVS near me and had my Abbott BINAX Home test as my Plan B back-up (Gotta have a back-up these days). 

I did a dummy search/scheduling I answered Yes to the first two questions and no for all the following

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 for future travel or recreation (according to CDC guidelines)?Yes No

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 after being at a place where social distancing was not possible? Yes No

I found  5 test "lanes" at 3 locations (all within 12 miles) with available time slots including today and out to 13 days from today. 

Sooooo - so far I will stick with the same plan of CVS testing  with my (still not expired) Abbott BINAX Home test as back-up - and take 3 Abbott BINAX Home Tests with us as...Back-up (Last cruise we used one while on-board when DW was not feeling well - to just check - good to have).

On 10/16/2021 at 3:52 PM, LuAnn said:

Can you tell me the name of the service?...we are in SD and would like to check it out!

We are sailing tomorrow Oct. 24th out of San Diego and had our rapid antigen test done in Mission Valley at WeTestU.com  619-736-7172.  They were incredibly nice and even helped fix a problem that was my fault.  The customer service was fantastic. They charge $99 per person at their location but will come to you for a single $39 trip charge regardless of the number of people getting tested.  We were emailed our results in 20 minutes with a printable copy of the results and an invoice for insurance purposes arriving 4 hours later to our email account.  Everything was very easy.  All the registration is done on your cell phone but I don't know how it is handled if you don't have one.  Bring your passport number if you want it included on your paperwork.  I would definitely recommend them.

• Like 5

Just a heads up--my friends who are now on Emerald Princess (and are having hassles with Panamanian side of Pan. Canal and were not allowed as a ship to transit the canal today as originally planned and are sitting at sea outside Panama City awaiting info on when they will be able as a ship to transit the Canal!) had appointments to have the rapid antigen test at a CVS in San Antonio, TX a week ago Wed.  They got a text message 10 mins. before they were to leave home for the appt. that said the test appt. was cancelled!!! No explanation.  They were able to quickly reschedule at another CVS the same day but IMHO they were very lucky to get an appt.  I know in our area (central Tx), CVS doesn't have appts. available the same day anywhere around.  So have a backup plan for sure in place.  We just disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam in Fort Lauderdale; we were tested onboard once each of the three weeks; they used the Abbott Binax self-test medically monitored rapid Antigen test.  We were not charged onboard for the tests.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RGEDad said:

That "no longer testing" comment interested me: I am not cruising until early December but I decided to do a check on current options for CVS Minute Clinics in my area (Fort Worth, TX) - just to see if things had changed here. 

I found  5 test "lanes" at 3 locations (all within 12 miles) with available time slots including today and out to 13 days from today. 

Yes, I had no problem finding available appointments; it was CVS cancelling our appointments which became the problem.  Definitely good to have a solid backup plan.

Edited by *Miss G*

32 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Just a heads up--my friends who are now on Emerald Princess (and are having hassles with Panamanian side of Pan. Canal and were not allowed as a ship to transit the canal today as originally planned and are sitting at sea outside Panama City awaiting info on when they will be able as a ship to transit the Canal!) had appointments to have the rapid antigen test at a CVS in San Antonio, TX a week ago Wed.  They got a text message 10 mins. before they were to leave home for the appt. that said the test appt. was cancelled!!! No explanation.  They were able to quickly reschedule at another CVS the same day but IMHO they were very lucky to get an appt.  I know in our area (central Tx), CVS doesn't have appts. available the same day anywhere around.  So have a backup plan for sure in place.  We just disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam in Fort Lauderdale; we were tested onboard once each of the three weeks; they used the Abbott Binax self-test medically monitored rapid Antigen test.  We were not charged onboard for the tests.

What a crazy story!  I just briefly read about it n the Princess board.  I had a February Panama Canal cruise booked at a great price but I canceled it because I didn’t want to pay for it next month and also because it’s hard to know how things will be in February.  It seems crazy that Princess didn’t know that pcr tests would need to be done to transit the canal.  I wonder if the n Amsterdam had pcr tests of the crew for its transit through the canal.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Go to the HAL web site and read the COVID-19 testing section in this FAQ:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

It addresses the various testing options, the 2 day prior to sailing issue (test on Friday, sail on Sunday is okay) and also that HAL is working on setting up mobile testing at homeport locations (details as they are finalized).

Hope this helps.

Just trying to make sure people understand the Abbott BINAX Home Test somewhat confusing expiration date extension, and what is the correct extension date.

The correct date is a three month extension (to the original 9 month) expiration date.

There are a number of posts in various CC threads that stated the new Abbott BINAX Home Test expiration date is 12 months from date of Manufacture on the box - That is not Correct

We are approaching the time when many of the original manufactured tests are starting to expire (Mine included). If you attempt to do the proctored test with an expired test, you will not be allowed. The test proctor scans the barcode on the unopened package and will verify the expiration date. 

The new expiration date is an 3 month extension of the original 9 month expiration date to a 12 month expiration date (Add three months to the expiration date)

Here are some relevant official Links: ( https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download),

and the here is the EMED Update letter where you can see the Expiration date Update.

: ( https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW™%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Update%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en),

Just do not want anyone...surprised...with an invalid test when they through they were good to go with their purchased test. I keep mine as a back-up to my scheduled CVS test, but I want my back-up plan as valid as my prime test plan. My BINAX Tests expire about a week before my test date for a late January cruise - drat. Would have been nice to have it 12 months after manufacture date - but a day late and a hundred dollars short - such is life.

One CC Poster on another thread stated they had talked to someone at eMed and new tests are being manufactured and will be available in November - Rumor Only 

I will be searching for a covid test location in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  We arrive 3 days prior to our departure on December 1.  We have a rental car so getting to a test sight will not be a probIem for us.  I have the Abbott Binax Tests as a back-up.  We would return to FLL for testing, but I'm not certain we can get tested there because we fly in one day prior to our testing window.  I will continue to follow this post and hope that CCers that depart from Port Everglades (or that live in the area) will report on their progress of scheduling and receiving tests.  I am concerned that with the influx of cruise passengers that local testing may be overwhelmed.  Not to mention some time has passed since HAL indicated they were working on something close to the cruise terminal to assist its passengers.  

Thank you.

BaltimoreCruise

41 minutes ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

I will be searching for a covid test location in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I went and did a test for Fort Lauderdale - CVS Plan your visit - 

Found three that do the Rapid Test - the rest are all Molecular test

Fort Lauderdale - 1700 S Federal Hwy Poct Covid - 19 Testing Site,

1700 S Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Fort Lauderdale - 2240 E Sunrise Blvd Poct Covid - 19 Testing Site,

2240 E Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

Fort Lauderdale - 2240 E Sunrise Blvd Poct Covid - 19 Testing Site Lane 3,

2240 E Sunrise Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

Looks like you can book them 2 weeks out

Edited by RGEDad
added link to question asked

21 hours ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

I will be searching for a covid test location in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  We arrive 3 days prior to our departure on December 1.  We have a rental car so getting to a test sight will not be a probIem for us.  I have the Abbott Binax Tests as a back-up.  We would return to FLL for testing, but I'm not certain we can get tested there because we fly in one day prior to our testing window.  I will continue to follow this post and hope that CCers that depart from Port Everglades (or that live in the area) will report on their progress of scheduling and receiving tests.  I am concerned that with the influx of cruise passengers that local testing may be overwhelmed.  Not to mention some time has passed since HAL indicated they were working on something close to the cruise terminal to assist its passengers.  

Thank you.

BaltimoreCruise

Another option in Fort Lauderdale is Curative, here is the link from the HAL Website, we booked November 14th at the Courthouse, this is a walkup testing site since we are staying precruise with no rental car. We sail November 16th on the Eurodam.

"We have partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Click here to order your at-home test kit.
BY CLICKING ABOVE, YOU WILL BE RE-DIRECTED TO OUR THIRD-PARTY VENDOR SITE

Another option for COVID-19 testing is through a company called Curative. You will be able to find a location and schedule a service at one of their 10,000 sites. You will get your test at one of their drive-thrus, kiosks, or mobile sites and receive your results digitally in 1-2 days. Please visit https://curative.com/
BY CLICKING ABOVE, YOU WILL BE RE-DIRECTED TO OUR THIRD-PARTY VENDOR SITE

Quest Diagnostics is also able to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here to find a testing location near you.
BY CLICKING ABOVE, YOU WILL BE RE-DIRECTED TO OUR THIRD-PARTY VENDOR SITE"

23 minutes ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

I tried the Curative link and I couldn't find a location in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  Possibly operator error.

BC

1. 1

Broward Courthouse

629 SE 1st Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Kiosk

COVID-19 PCR Test
    TodayTomorrowOct 2888Slots471Slots471Slots
  2. 2

NE Third Ave Trailer

308 NE Third Ave, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33301

Kiosk

COVID-19 PCR Test
    TodayTomorrowOct 28158Slots509Slots533Slots

We had friends we met on our recently-completed Pan. Canal cruise on the NA and they left from Seattle, went a few days early to Seattle, didn't have a car to go get their Cov. test and used Uber to get to their test location, had Uber drop them off, had the test, then called Uber again to get back to their lodging.  They said it worked fine.

Edited by 12cruise2