Caribbean Cruises will need both negative PCR Test & to be fully vaccinated

Mrk2868

Just been looking at the P&O Cruises web site - https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence  and discovered the following under the section entitled "For holidays to the Caribbean from 22 October 2021 - 27 March 2022"  

All guests on a Caribbean fly-cruise will also need to organise and pay for a private PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel.  This is in addition to a complimentary antigen test organised by P&O Cruises at the airport. 

I was under the impression that the only pre-departure testing be paid for by P&O.  This is was what happened on a recent Princess Cruises trip from Southampton.  Of course the Caribbean Fly Cruises start from an airport rather than a port, but even so I was not expecting to have fork out I guess £80 per person for yet more testing.  This is in addition to any testing required to return to the UK.

Looks like this change was only introduced yesterday 30 September.  I am surprised they have not emailed everyone who had a booking, as I suspect I'm not the only person not best pleased! 

Edited by Mrk2868

I've just been re-reading the P&O preparing to sail  rules and I have noticed this sentence "The test must be administered at an accredited or recognised laboratory by a healthcare professional. "   

So does this mean that at home pre-departure PCR test can't be used?  Looking online most of the COVID-19 Pre-Departure PCR test kits assume that you take the sample yourself and then send it away to be tested.  Cost say £60-"£90 per test, whilst I suspect a test carried out by healthcare professional will cost a lot more.

1 hour ago, Mrk2868 said:

I've just been re-reading the P&O preparing to sail  rules and I have noticed this sentence "The test must be administered at an accredited or recognised laboratory by a healthcare professional. "   

So does this mean that at home pre-departure PCR test can't be used?  Looking online most of the COVID-19 Pre-Departure PCR test kits assume that you take the sample yourself and then send it away to be tested.  Cost say £60-"£90 per test, whilst I suspect a test carried out by healthcare professional will cost a lot more.

I think this is the case. I was looking last night at a website that lists all the accredited places that do the test. Price was similar to the ones you do yourself. But it does mean having to go to the test Center.

You cannot do the test at home.  Entry requirements for a lot of the islands are extremely strict about the type of PCR test that is acceptable and none allow self administered.

I assume the pre departure PCR will be the pass to get into Barbados in the P&O bubble.  Reading the Bajan Government website a normal PCR for entry can cost as much as US$200 so cruisers are getting off quite light if they are accepting pre flight PCR tests for passengers which are done in the UK.

12 hours ago, mondas42 said:

I think this is the case. I was looking last night at a website that lists all the accredited places that do the test. Price was similar to the ones you do yourself. But it does mean having to go to the test Center.

Hi Mondas, what is the website you were looking at? 

Thanks

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You cannot do the test at home.  Entry requirements for a lot of the islands are extremely strict about the type of PCR test that is acceptable and none allow self administered.

I assume the pre departure PCR will be the pass to get into Barbados in the P&O bubble.  Reading the Bajan Government website a normal PCR for entry can cost as much as US$200 so cruisers are getting off quite light if they are accepting pre flight PCR tests for passengers which are done in the UK.

Whilst I take on-board what you are saying, why have P&O Cruises not formally told me (and everyone else on the cruise) of this new requirement.  I have looked through their emails, and the last one was in June 2021.  No mention of the need for people over 18 to have a PCR test done at a test centre.  The only requirement was to be double vaccinated.  The email went on to say that any PCR tests would be done at the terminal on a complementary basis. 

So 5 weeks before we all travel they are putting a new and onerous requirements on everyone going on the cruise, without any formal communication or explanation.

It is a pity that unlike TUI Marella Cruises, P&O are not providing recommended testing companies to use or tailored solution for their customers.

• Like 1

glad i am not the only one who thinks this is being hidden away and i think some people will still turn up at the airport without the test being done.........maybe we will get an email but the extra £100+ expense is a bit much

4 minutes ago, Castle25 said:

Also as a worker, this is going be a pain in the @rse to geta test on the Wed/Thur out  of working hours esp if i have to drive more than an hour to get a test done by a health professional

There are so many cases in schools around here that staff are having to travel routinely an hour for PCR tests and then a return journey. My daughter has had 2 already this term.  We have to travel great distances for everything around here!  

2 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

Whilst I take on-board what you are saying, why have P&O Cruises not formally told me (and everyone else on the cruise) of this new requirement.  I have looked through their emails, and the last one was in June 2021.  No mention of the need for people over 18 to have a PCR test done at a test centre.  The only requirement was to be double vaccinated.  The email went on to say that any PCR tests would be done at the terminal on a complementary basis. 

So 5 weeks before we all travel they are putting a new and onerous requirements on everyone going on the cruise, without any formal communication or explanation.

It is a pity that unlike TUI Marella Cruises, P&O are not providing recommended testing companies to use or tailored solution for their customers.

We are on  a Princess cruise departing next Tuesday but  Cork which is in the common travel area has been changed to Le Havre an International port. This morning we got an email saying that as it is now an international cruise we need to complete a PLF and book a PCR test at our expense as a condition of travel and allowing embarkation, with 3 days to go!!! Leave out Le Havre and problem solved.

1 hour ago, Castle25 said:

glad i am not the only one who thinks this is being hidden away and i think some people will still turn up at the airport without the test being done.........maybe we will get an email but the extra £100+ expense is a bit much

My understanding from reading different threads and checking with P &O yesterday after a 50 minute wait, is that if your travelling back from BARBADOS and then onto airport you can buy £25 pp and do the PCR on board 3 or 2 day before you get there plus fill out the PLF for returning to 🇬🇧 Uk. 

I trust that they will do all they can to sort out any issues of PCR etc before we travel as it is paramount to the safety of customers and to the companies  reputation.

My only worry is if BARBADOS goes red what will happen to the return flight? as that will pose a hotel stay on return to UK at a colossal cost.

Or will we go to a different port and fly from there if it is not Red.

All of the above I'm referring to is for the 22nd Oct 21 transatlantic cruise to Caribbean.

Anyone have any  thoughts?

1 hour ago, gandalf1 said:

My understanding from reading different threads and checking with P &O yesterday after a 50 minute wait, is that if your travelling back from BARBADOS and then onto airport you can buy £25 pp and do the PCR on board 3 or 2 day before you get there plus fill out the PLF for returning to 🇬🇧 Uk. 

Hi, yes this is true for the return flight to satisfy UK Government Requirements. 

Sadly it does not solve the problem of people flying from the UK on the 5th November or afterwards who need to both fund and organize a PCR test at an approved test centre before they leave.  P&O have introduced this requirement (whatever the rights and wrongs) without either properly informing their customers or putting in place testing arrangements.  If it would be great if they put in place what you are describing for the outward flight to Barbados, in addition to the homeward one.  I very much hope they are reading these Cruise Critic Forums and put something similar in place.

Cancelled my holiday to the Caribbean that was booked for the 14th January 2022 flying from Glasgow into Barbados to sail on Britannia. Just felt in my opinion it was getting too much to pay for two weeks in the sun.  With the added costs of the PCR x 2 tests before flying and the possible costs of tests if we wanted to go on authorised tours etc. And what if Barbados is on the red list for returning home, what happens with that, do we have to go into isolation and we will have to pay for the cost of the hotel x2. Just too much stress in my opinion don’t need it.

Was not going to go to the Caribbean and sit on a ship for two weeks when we arrived at each island. 

Called on Saturday afternoon and waited 45 min on hold to speak to a member of staff. Staff member helped as much as she could, advising I could transfer to another holiday. 

Have no issue with losing my deposit. Will wait until either 2023 or 2024 to book again to the Caribbean.

Thanks to all the people who post information on the board, keeps you up to date with information you may miss.

22 hours ago, Castle25 said:

Did you not receive the email attached from P&O? I received it three times, one referenced for each of my booked cruises (one of which isnt until December 2022!). If you click on the link in the email it takes you to all the information you need.

I assume from your comments on time off work for testing, you are now able to travel?

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Did you not receive the email attached from P&O? I received it three times, one referenced for each of my booked cruises (one of which isnt until December 2022!). If you click on the link in the email it takes you to all the information you need.

I assume from your comments on time off work for testing, you are now able to travel?

We are due to sail on Britannia 4th December and haven't received any emails from P&O regarding pcr test requirements. Had I not been a regular reader of Cruisecritic, we would have been one of those guests arriving at the airport without having had a test

Mine were all dated 30 September and headed "Important update and vaccine policy change".

This was followed by a video of Paul Ludlow. If you clicked on the link "Watch the Update Here" it took me online to see the requirements.  

I assume it might be mistaken for marketing, but it is worrying if customers with imminent bookings did not receive it.

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Mine were all dated 30 September and headed "Important update and vaccine policy change".

This was followed by a video of Paul Ludlow. If you clicked on the link "Watch the Update Here" it took me online to see the requirements.  

I assume it might be mistaken for marketing, but it is worrying if customers with imminent bookings did not receive it.

So far I have not received any emails from P&O since June 2021.  Yes I have checked my spam/junk/deleted folders.  Possibly something will arrive in the next days or two, but as of Sunday afternoon nothing has been received, despite sailing in 5 weeks time.

Note: I can't see any links/attachments on your post from a few hours ago.  Should there have been one?

It is in the P&O website in the New Health Protocol  dated 30th Sept 2021 so I doubt they will email anyone- thanks to Megabear 2 for the information originally,

COVID-19 vaccine and testing requirements

For holidays to the Caribbean from 22 October 2021 - 27 March 2022

Given the long-haul destinations and the number of different countries visited, combined with the current health protocols and entry requirements in the Caribbean, all guests (irrespective of age) must have completed their vaccination course at least 14 days prior to travel. This can either be two doses of the currently approved COVID-19 vaccines or the approved single-dose Janssen COVID-19 vaccine (approved by the MHRA). A single dose of any other vaccine will not be accepted. All guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the COVID-19 vaccination policy. 

All guests on a Caribbean fly-cruise will also need to organise and pay for a private PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel. The test must be administered at an accredited or recognised laboratory by a healthcare professional. You’ll present your negative PCR result at the airport as well as complete a complimentary antigen test organised by P&O Cruises. 

For guests setting sail in Southampton, you will complete a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must pay for a PCR test on board within 72 hours of arriving in the Caribbean.

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

It is in the P&O website in the New Health Protocol  dated 30th Sept 2021 so I doubt they will email anyone- thanks to Megabear 2 for the information originally,

COVID-19 vaccine and testing requirements

For holidays to the Caribbean from 22 October 2021 - 27 March 2022

Given the long-haul destinations and the number of different countries visited, combined with the current health protocols and entry requirements in the Caribbean, all guests (irrespective of age) must have completed their vaccination course at least 14 days prior to travel. This can either be two doses of the currently approved COVID-19 vaccines or the approved single-dose Janssen COVID-19 vaccine (approved by the MHRA). A single dose of any other vaccine will not be accepted. All guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the COVID-19 vaccination policy. 

All guests on a Caribbean fly-cruise will also need to organise and pay for a private PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel. The test must be administered at an accredited or recognised laboratory by a healthcare professional. You’ll present your negative PCR result at the airport as well as complete a complimentary antigen test organised by P&O Cruises. 

For guests setting sail in Southampton, you will complete a complimentary antigen test at the terminal and must pay for a PCR test on board within 72 hours of arriving in the Caribbean.

Yes I was aware it was on the website - that is why I started this topic.  Putting it on the website is not sufficient in itself.  P&O have formally tell people, which these days means an email rather than a letter in the post.  This change has a material impact on the holiday, and runs the risk that people will turn up at Gatwick/Manchester/Glasgow and not be able to travel.

The small print that everyone will pick up on is that you have the test done by a healthcare professional, rather than carrying out the test at home and then sending it away to a laboratory to to be tested. My understanding is that most fit to fly tests are normally the latter, rather than the former (using an healthcare professional to administer the test).

1 hour ago, Mrk2868 said:

Yes I was aware it was on the website - that is why I started this topic.  Putting it on the website is not sufficient in itself.  P&O have formally tell people, which these days means an email rather than a letter in the post.  This change has a material impact on the holiday, and runs the risk that people will turn up at Gatwick/Manchester/Glasgow and not be able to travel.

The small print that everyone will pick up on is that you have the test done by a healthcare professional, rather than carrying out the test at home and then sending it away to a laboratory to to be tested. My understanding is that most fit to fly tests are normally the latter, rather than the former (using an healthcare professional to administer the test).

The second paragraph should have started "The small print that NOT  everyone will pick up on"  Apologies for any confusion caused.  

I believe Celebrity and RCI also required in person PCR tests for their staycation cruises. There was very many posts on the respective boards regarding logistics for these.  Might be worth a read for help in locating venues to use?