Yet another beach question

craigtompkins

We will be in St Thomas in about 3 weeks.  We've been several times having gone on Godfrey's tour 5 times (we do this when we have new visitors in our group).  We've done a quick stop at Coki beach but not spent any time there.  I've been to Trunk Bay twice.  My wife has been there once, but it was not a nice day and the cruise line was even letting us cancel our excursion if we wanted.  We went anyway.  We've also been to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island and loved it there.

So for this visit we are trying to decide between Water Island again, Trunk Bay and hope the weather is better or staying on STT and going to Magen's Bay or Sapphire beach which we've never been too.

Are there any ferry concerns for vaccinated visitors to either Water Island or St John?  We are not looking to snorkel, just a nice beach day.  Our favorite beach is Half Moon Cay if that helps give an idea of what we like.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I have been searching on what to do in STT since we got moved there. One thing I have found is that excursions are expensive there (ship or private). I thought about running out to STJ, but the time and cost is less attractive. On a best case scenario, you are looking at about 3 hours RT commute. Most likely you will miss one of the ferries or get there at the mid-point for both and waste another hour. I didn't want to spend all the time traveling. It would be about $50pp just in taxi and ferry rides.

After realizing all of that, I looked at different beaches in STT. I am stuck between 3 but leaning more towards 2. Water Island looks very tempting, but the water shuttle can be an issue with a large number of cruise passengers. We are leaning towards Sapphire and Secret Harbor mainly for the beaches and snorkeling. Megan's is very packed from what I have read. I know you said you are not snorkeling, so Lindquist may be an option for you as well. We are 3 people in our party and taxi rides alone to a beach will be $60 RT. Not a big deal until you start adding in chairs and other rentals.

No issues with these ferries at the moment.

When were  you at HB on Water Island last? We never go there with ships docked at Crown Bay because the small beach area by Dinghy’s is packed, and the excursions stopping in just make a mess of the beach area. The other end of the bay by Heidi’s is not as nice of course…

We are also not fans of Magens but that is us. We are partial to Sapphire, it’s the one beach where we can always find a spot away from the crowd at the beach bar but still have the amenities. And the water colors and island views are amazing. Magens, in contrast, is beautiful, but just boring in comparison, and …Again, just our opinion…

Now Lindqvist Beach (now Smith Bay Park) is arguably THE nicest beach on STT. Magens Bay Authority now manages this and there are public restrooms but little else. So if you are happy with grabbing a lunch from the port area or Moe’s Market in Red Hook and sitting on a towel Lindqvist is the Caribbean of old. You will see fellow cruise passengers there who have lounges because they are there on the “Secret Sands” excursion. But their time is very limited there…

But of course how  many ships are in port with you makes a difference. What is your port date and ship?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm not getting reply alerts.

We are in St Thomas on the Magic and in port Wednesday October 27th.  Looks like Symphony of the Seas will be in 1 hour before us.

Last time we were on Water Island was April of 2017.

Based on these replies and other searching I think we are leaning towards Sapphire beach.  Lindqvist sounds like we should stop by and see it, but we'd like some amenities.  

Craig I think that is a great plan…You are docked in Havensight (WICO) at 7AM, and the SOS in Crown Bay to the east of Charlotte Amalie (also scheduled for 7AM). So the East End beaches or STJ are a good choice as the Magic is closer than the SOS. And with 8 hours in port a STT beach makes more sense than STJ. 

I think you will be very happy spending your day at Sapphire…

• 2 weeks later...

Craigtompkins we will be on the Magic with you and had plans to taxi to Lindqvist, but we’re concerned about the sargassum problem. We’ve been watching YouTube videos showing lots of the stuff in the water and piled up on the beach! We’ve been to Lindqvist a couple of other times and it’s beautiful, so we’re pretty bummed and will probably look at another beach. Sapphire also seems to have a lot of seaweed right now. Coki didn’t seem to have as much though. 

Blue Water do you have any updates on the sargassum problem? We have similar opinions  as you on Magens Bay… Secret Harbor looks pretty clear of seaweed in recent videos. Brewers has also drawn our interest and seems clear. Any thoughts there? How much would a taxi for two cost from Havensight?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

2Feathers We are not currently there but I do see updates often in the STT forum on TripAdvisor. I would post that question there, you could piggy back on this recent thread -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147404-i172-k13697982-Seaweed-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

I can tell you the sargasso has virtually disappeared in the Mexican Riviera Maya and other areas of the Caribbean and the beaches and water are gorgeous. So I hope that is the case for the VI and you are able to enjoy gorgeous Lindqvist Beach…

Do you just grab a lunch and drinks and find a spot to enjoy the beauty? Lindqvist is similar to Brewers Bay on Tortola, at least for us…One of those spots that have that “old Caribbean” feel that most beaches just do not have…

Brewers, STT is a nice option, last I knew there was a food truck and public restrooms, not sure today? It may be a bit crowded with ships at Crown Bay. Taxi there should be ~&6/pp each way…

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2021 at 11:09 AM, diane.in.ny said:

We are considering Sapphire Beach, going and coming by private taxi.

I know we'll have no problem getting a taxi at the pier. 

How about the return? Would we have to plan on calling for one or do taxis hang out there?

I have a similar question. Thanks