Observations From The Poop Deck (Revisited)

morpheusofthesea

Tonight was a real treat and honor to meet a Celebrity Cruises legend. The King of pastry chefs, the best of the best, Mr. Sukenan. A very serious gentleman proud of his craft. We had nothing but praise for his pastries from my 7 different breakfast delicacies, to El Bacio pearls of exquisite delight, and the ever changing Oceanview Cafe tour de force. (I got the feeling that if  I pushed my 'nut' fixation I would have to commit hari-kari on myself).  I know that a minimum of six  of the seven lbs I gained this week are attributable to his culinary expertise. I will describe just a couple not to be missed  winners after I sleep off tonights grilled chocolate chip cookie sugar shock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We have just been notified by Celebrity that our trip on the Equinox this Thanksgiving has substituted Falmouth, Jamaica for Grand Caymen. Just another port day in a Caribbean ocean paradise.

I'm on that cruise also, hope to run into you at some point during the voyage, as I've followed and enjoyed a few poop deck observations that you have written! Following this one.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, disfan123 said:

I'm on that cruise also, hope to run into you at some point during the voyage, as I've followed and enjoyed a few poop deck observations that you have written! Following this one.

Yes, we are looking forward to returning to the Celebrity Equinox. I am really a very dull, boring person prone to 'sticking my foot in my mouth.' I just love to hide out in my cabin on a nice shaded veranda and write my observations down. Writing gives me the ability to edit. I have no filter otherwise and many times unintentionally say the wrong things (or so DW keeps telling me). I guess my writing has helped our love endure. I thank everyone for their encouragement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today is another beautiful day sailing to the Bahamas. The wind is a treat out on the veranda. The weather is getting better and better as we 'sail' into November and December in the Caribbean. Last evening we had a great husband and wife team of singer and his saxophone/clarinet ? and singing, from Australia. But the highlight of the evening was the grilled chocolate chip cookie that was prepared (or brought to) the Luminae. We understand that we did not take full advantage of this culinary treat by ordering it with the requisite ice cream topping that makes it "four times better" (says Maitre d' Marco). So we recommend guests to the Luminae or the Rooftop Garden Restaurant 'attack' this dessert early in the cruise to savor its full effect with ice cream, instead of waiting near the end of the cruise and 'suffer' the calorie guilt trip by trying to cut the calories leaving the ice cream off.

Sorry about this photo. I was so excited about the dessert I dug in so fast that I forgot to take a picture.

IMG_1303.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please allow me a moment to described this 'Fried' chocolate chip cookie. (DW corrected me, it could actually be baked?). It comes to the table very hot. One can easily burn the roof of ones mouth on the hot chocolate. Hence the need for the ice cream? It has more chocolate chips than cookie. Having finished this cookie we felt we were done with desserts for the remainder of the cruise. We proceeded to the 7:00pm show. After the show we walked around the ship and found ourselves at the entrance to the Oceanview Cafe. Still 'reeling' from the sugar shock we decided to 'just look' at the desserts. We washed our hands (never hurts) and proceeded to the dessert station. Suddenly DW's taste buds were rekindled for one or two small chocolate treats (DW is a 5' 0", 96 lb munchkin). I could not have another sweet treat, so I moseyed on over to the other stations and could not resist a 'small' piece of veal cordon bleu to finish off the evening.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes, we are looking forward to returning to the Celebrity Equinox. I am really a very dull, boring person prone to 'sticking my foot in my mouth.' I just love to hide out in my cabin on a nice shaded veranda and write my observations down. Writing gives me the ability to edit. I have no filter otherwise and many times unintentionally say the wrong things (or so DW keeps telling me). I guess my writing has helped our love endure. I thank everyone for their encouragement.

In My Experience, I have yet to meet anyone who is dull on a cruise, they may catch me at a time when I want to do something else (unless they wish to join me...LOL).

Never worry about saying the 'wrong thing' around these parts, we will catch it and let you know and smile all along about it!!!

Keep it going and enjoy the balance of your sailing...

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Today is another beautiful day sailing to the Bahamas. The wind is a treat out on the veranda. The weather is getting better and better as we 'sail' into November and December in the Caribbean. Last evening we had a great husband and wife team of singer and his saxophone/clarinet ? and singing, from Australia. But the highlight of the evening was the grilled chocolate chip cookie that was prepared (or brought to) the Luminae. We understand that we did not take full advantage of this culinary treat by ordering it with the requisite ice cream topping that makes it "four times better" (says Maitre d' Marco). So we recommend guests to the Luminae or the Rooftop Garden Restaurant 'attack' this dessert early in the cruise to savor its full effect with ice cream, instead of waiting near the end of the cruise and 'suffer' the calorie guilt trip by trying to cut the calories leaving the ice cream off.

Sorry about this photo. I was so excited about the dessert I dug in so fast that I forgot to take a picture.

IMG_1303.jpg

You got your cookie!!!

Great...

bon appetit and bon voyage

21 hours ago, Travelnana6 said:

Wonderful review. WE will be on the Edge 11/14 and are wondering if they are doing covid tests on ship 3 days before reentry into Florida.  

We are being tested today on the Edge at 5 pm.  uThis is for non US citizens.  Results by Friday evening.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:35 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

It is rather quite pleasant this morning on the balcony of the cabin in Roatan. Steel drum music is playing from somewhere and our only concern is deciding where to eat lunch since our Luminae is closed having gotten to Roatan on time.

Before I forget I wanted to thank you for your observations, tips and humour.  I have been following you for awhile now and it has paid off wonderfully.

We are currently sailing with you and I am still getting great info from you.  I am in the Retreat but spend little time there.  As you have said, Luminae is the best part worth the price of admission.

My favourite plaace on the ship is not in the Retreat area.  I think it was you  who suggested going up the stairs by the Eden Bar.  It opens to the most quiet, tranquil spot on the ship.  Comfortable chairs and sofas and a great view aft.

Thanks again.  Loved all your observations.

Cheers,

Edward

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do not envy the 37 b2b passengers on this voyage. We are truly amazed at their fortitude. DW and I can only 'take' 7 days of pampered luxury and limitless food options, having no will-power to refuse trying a little of 'this or that.' The 'this or that' changes every day. If only it would become monotonous we would have a chance at lasting another week on board. Every evening when I get into bed I check my vital signs and pray I make it to tomorrow.

• Like 4

Enclosed please find a photo of the very best chocolate item on board  the Edge. It can be found on display at El Bacio and all pastries at El Bacio are complimentary (free) for all guests. Eat there or take back to ones cabin. And if one thinks one can hide oneself around the pool or Solarium, Celebrity has 3 of these gentlemen pushing these carts with ice filled chocolate covered cheesecakes on a stick right up to the foot of your lounge chair. Don't get up and strain yourself....

Notice the display card describing the chocolate sacher tarte (MAY CONTAIN NUTS). It did not have nuts but I get the visual that the nuts are flying around the entire pastry department and landing willy-nilly in everything.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

It took exactly 24 hours for me to recover from the sugar shock of that fried chocolate chip cookie. At breakfast this morning I had O (zero) of my favorite pastries and skipped my apple crepe. Our waiter brought me a double cheese omelette. The salt in the cheese perked me up a bit. My sugar 'funk' lasted through lunch and dinner tonight. We went to the the 7:00pm show attended by Capt. Costas and his entourage (4 dark suits far right in photo). After the show we ambled our way to the Oceanview Cafe to  see if I could regain my dessert 'groove'.  At the hand washing station, the only other person washing their hands had 4 stripes on the sleeve of his jacket. DW stopped him and asked if he was the Captain. Yes, it was Captain Costas. She expressed our thankfulness for Celebrity bringing safe cruising back to the world and how happy we were to be able to cruise once again. He thanked us for coming. We made a beeline to the dessert station and it is Trifle Night. I had two different apricot trifles and immediately felt better. I suggested to DW we stop at El Bacio to 'see' what they were offering. We took two plates of both a chocolate cake and peach tart cake back to the cabin. I'm rejuvenated and looking forward to another great tomorrow aboard the Celebrity Edge.

IMG_1306.jpg

• Like 5

Last night was lobster night in the Luminae. Management was 'all a flutter' about 40 suite cabins of guests that have not yet shown up to dine in the Luminae. 40 cabins of at least 2 passengers each, 80 guests that are entitled to eat in the Luminae, but are not taking advantage of the best perk of sailing in a suite. Management of the Luminae was on the phone all day trying to track these passengers and advise them of this perk and invite them to have dinner this lobster night. Management thought these passengers could be 'tracked down' by determining at which restaurants these 80 guests are 'logging' into. Every reservation at any dining venue on the ship is logged and the time the guest shows up to dine, EXCEPT the Oceanview Cafe. Strangely all of these 80 guests, it has been determined, must be dining at the Oceanview Cafe for all their meals while on board. I can attest that the food is 'good' at the Oceanview Cafe and it has much more selection than any of the other restaurants, and it is limitless and one can return in an hour for more, but there is something to be said about 'cooked to order' versus sitting under heat lamps.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

My gastroenterologist says I have diverticulosis and try to avoid nuts so it does not turn into diverticulitis, hence my DW reads every label before I can get my hands on it. I tend to eat first, then worry.

I tend to drink first and then worry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3