Observations From The Poop Deck (Revisited)

morpheusofthesea

On 10/8/2021 at 7:46 PM, lggfly said:

I've always used an online TA.  One in particular seems to always have the highest OBC as a way of "discounting" the rates.  This time, I wanted some specific info about cabin locations, so I called Celebrity and spoke to a salesperson.  At the end of the conversation, I informed him that I would love to book through him, but the online TA offered substantial additional OBCs and was therefore a much better deal than what Celebrity was offering.  Long story short, they checked my online TA site and then matched it.  Surprised the heck out of me.  The Celebrity sales rep has been most responsive during the entire process (even after booking and paying).

The refundable OBC that I receive on my Celebrity cruises (commission sharing) are never advertised or shown on line.  They come from e mail quote that I received after I decide what  I want to book.  

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 2:35 PM, kirtihk said:

The Edge it is - I was on it in April-May 2019 on the Atlantic crossing (one of first cruises for this ship).  The spa and the Eden are the best part.  While walking back to the ship in Lisbon, I broke 5 ribs (I only knew it 8 days later when returned home) on the beautiful famous Portuguese pavement (calçada portuguesa) - it rarely rains there, but on that day it was pouring rain, and also there was a lot of dust film on pavement from construction occurring near the port.  I kept my spirit up during the rest of the cruise (dancing, socializing, swimming even though a simple movement was causing a lot of pain, and I couldn't sleep all night each night).  So, yes, I'm a very enthusiastic person, and really believe that the madness will pass.  After living in Russia the first 31 years of my life (I left in 1991) there is nothing left but hope and keeping my soul inlighted.

Your post struck home for me - for more than one reason. I too was on the first Edge TA, and I was in Lisbon that day - captivated by the gorgeous pavement despite the downpour. It was indeed quite slippery. I cringe when I think of you spending days in pain and then having to fly home. May your future travels be filled with only beauty and joy.

• Like 1

Mr. Morpheus, I forgot to mention that you have given my DH (who is quite fond of desserts) a new prime directive once we board Edge in two weeks. Like a heat seeking missile, he will aim for the Sacher Torte😂 I will have my usual doppio espresso macchiato while I enjoy his pleasure in a special treat😊

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, Silkroad said:

Your post struck home for me - for more than one reason. I too was on the first Edge TA, and I was in Lisbon that day - captivated by the gorgeous pavement despite the downpour. It was indeed quite slippery. I cringe when I think of you spending days in pain and then having to fly home. May your future travels be filled with only beauty and joy.

It took 10 weeks for me recover - just in time for my next FULL cruise ( North Pacific Anchorage-Tokyo crossing on Azamara Quest) in August 2019.  I wrote "FULL", because my next (and last so far) cruise was on March 8-24, 2020 when we were restricted to stop on any island (after the first 3-ovenight cruise days in Easter Island) during Easter Island - Tahiti South Pacific crossing (12 sea days instead of having 5 stops).

• Like 2