Q129Q UK Circumnavigation

Wonky

Well, have just left the Solent on a cruise ship for the first time in several years and it feels great!  

Fortunate(?) enough to live in Southampton so didn’t need to get a taxi until 1145 for our 1215 check in time. A brief bit of panic as for some reason the Future Mrs Wonky (FMW) couldn’t get the NHS app to play ball with the vaccination dates. Seemed to be a very poor mobile signal down in the tent so that possibly had something to do with it. Next time will definitely print it out! Pretty slick procedure for the testing, then into the main building to answer some health questions for the port authority (exactly the same as we had already answered for Cunard). Following these into the “pen” for the anxious wait of the negative test result. FMW wasn’t worried at all and she was proved correct and we were then allowed to proceed to check in. This is very quick as currently photos and credit cards have already been loaded at home. Probably a good to keep this!

Bit of a queue at security, but even including this and our NHS app panic we were still on board by 1330.

After an afternoon tea, walk around and relax in the cabin, we were treated to a beautiful sunset an an amazing sail out pass the freshly painted QM2. I’ll leave this here for now whilst we go for dinner and I try and work out how to add pictures!!!

• Like 3

Interesting that you mention poor wifi signal at the Southampton Terminal area

For some time now Cunard & P&O Facebook forums have repeatedly encouraged guests to ensure they have backup documentation on hard copy, especially 'proof of their covid vaccination status' .

Back in July a P&O passenger realised she had misplaced her mobile phone, either on the train journey down to Southampton or in the Taxi en route to the cruise terminal . Unable to show proof of her vaccinations ( including other important documentation) She was unable to board the ship.

Apologies for highjacking your post Wonky, however, may I encourage fellow travellers ( during this present climate) to ensure they have backup hard copies.

• Like 1

Nice pic and some lovely sunshine for our stay. Little bit breezy and haven’t seen many boaters venture out from the adjoining marina!

Can we talk about Cunard wifi? This has possibly been done on here before but I just don’t get the absurd pricing. We have a couple of hours each as we are gold but we do like to use the internet quite a bit and the prices on Cunard seem just daft!

I actually think they are losing money by doing this too, bare with me…My other half cruises quite a bit with P&O with her mother and they have a “reasonable” £10 per day if you buy the whole cruise. I would happily do that for this cruise which would have been £120 where as now we will not buy any or at the very most one 2 hour package for $45. Having spoken to other guests they are very much of the same thinking. I don’t get it, anyone else?

On 10/2/2021 at 7:06 AM, Wonky said:

Well, have just left the Solent on a cruise ship for the first time in several years and it feels great!  

Fortunate(?) enough to live in Southampton so didn’t need to get a taxi until 1145 for our 1215 check in time. A brief bit of panic as for some reason the Future Mrs Wonky (FMW) couldn’t get the NHS app to play ball with the vaccination dates. Seemed to be a very poor mobile signal down in the tent so that possibly had something to do with it. Next time will definitely print it out! Pretty slick procedure for the testing, then into the main building to answer some health questions for the port authority (exactly the same as we had already answered for Cunard). Following these into the “pen” for the anxious wait of the negative test result. FMW wasn’t worried at all and she was proved correct and we were then allowed to proceed to check in. This is very quick as currently photos and credit cards have already been loaded at home. Probably a good to keep this!

Bit of a queue at security, but even including this and our NHS app panic we were still on board by 1330.

After an afternoon tea, walk around and relax in the cabin, we were treated to a beautiful sunset an an amazing sail out pass the freshly painted QM2. I’ll leave this here for now whilst we go for dinner and I try and work out how to add pictures!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, Electra 7 said:

hope you are having a wonderful time we were supposed to be on that cruise anyway not to be listening to music and just wondering if john James band is onboard

They were indeed!