Birth Certificuts ok?

jeaniebean

Hi-I did a search but couldn't find anything on this. I don't have a pass port cause I don't travel abroad except for Caribbean cruises. Am I going to have a problem? I do have my birth certificut and photo license. I'm going on the Western Caribbean cruise Feb 25th on the Voyager of the Seas.

I recommend you get one soon anyways - makes life a great deal easier when travelling, even just in the Caribbean.

My friend had no troubles last time we travelled with just the driver's liscence and the birth certificate. As the previous poster suggested, next year is proposed to be different.

At this time, a government issued (raised seal) birth certificate (not a hospital issued one with your cute little footprint) and a photo driver's license are the minimum required. If you are worried, take them to your TA and have them check them just to be sure.

Have a great cruise.

It doesn't take 6-8 weeks to get a passport - but it certainly does take longer than you have now. It's more like two to three; 10 days if you want to pay the extra fees.

You might as well "bite the bullet" and get one when you get back, cause you'll be REQUIRED to have one shortly. Then you can leave your driver's license & birth certificate at home where they belong.

You'll also find that getting through customs/immigration will be quicker & smoother with your passport.

One thing I do when I travel out of the country, like going to Southern California ;-) , is I put a photocopy of my passport (opened to the photo/ID page) in one of my pieces of luggage. JUST IN CASE my passport gets lost or stolen during my trip.

A note about the Birth Certificates, they have to be a CERTIFIED COPY, as in have a raised seal. It depends on the state as how to get them. In minnesota we can just go to any County records center, and they can get them from ANY county in Minnesota, but some states you actually have to get in touch with the county in question, making it a pain!

Try looking up the Department of Vital Statistics for your state.

Scott

Interesting question. You are leaving on February 25th for your cruise. What were you going to do if we all said NO, a birth certificate is no longer accepted as cruise identification? Even with expedited service, I don't think you can get a passport in a week.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise, and think about passports when you return. :D

Interesting question. You are leaving on February 25th for your cruise. What were you going to do if we all said NO, a birth certificate is no longer accepted as cruise identification? Even with expedited service, I don't think you can get a passport in a week.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise, and think about passports when you return. :D

Couldn't have been done.

I paid extra for expedited service before my first Mexican vacation (I procrastinated big time) and it took just under two weeks - and that was done out of San Francisco - 90 miles away.

Archived