Diamond status: No free laundry or free Internet minutes?

fstuff1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I don't get the booze package myself (classic soda is all I need), but wanted to point out the flaw in your thinking.  

If someone gets a latte and a fresh-squeeze orange juice and a bottle of water in the morning, and a smoothie for a mid-morning snack, they've already used up their four vouchers without having a drop of liquor. An expresso after dinner would use up a fifth voucher.  

Four $13 cocktails/wine/whatever and a bottle of beer would break even on the DBP at that point. 

What would work better financially for people who do smoothies and foo-foo coffee drinks as well as booze drinks would be to get the Refreshment package and use that for sodas, bottles of water, smoothies, and coffee drinks, then use the 4-5-6 vouchers for the boozy drinks every day.  You'd just want to specify to the server that you want to use your package for the non-alcoholic drinks, so your vouchers would be available for the booze.

I see what you're saying, but I was specific in saying alcohol. so I don't think it's flawed.  Everyone's needs are different and should be evaluated by themselves.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tiger-91 said:

I see what you're saying, but I was specific in saying alcohol. so I don't think it's flawed.  Everyone's needs are different and should be evaluated by themselves.

Well, it's flawed in the assumption that everyone who breaks even is having that many alcoholic beverages.  

I called in and attempted to purchase a deluxe beverage package for only myself as my wife does not drink and was told that dear wife would have to purchase at least a $247.00 (7 day cruise) soft drink package.  Because of that additional requirement, I didn't purchase a package at all and will use the diamond drinks and pay for any additional drinks over and above that and will save money.  I would have to spend more than $717.00 on additional drinks to not come out ahead. 

Edited by dnhill
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dnhill said:

I called in and attempted to purchase a deluxe beverage package for only myself as my wife does not drink and was told that dear wife would have to purchase at least a $247.00 (7 day cruise) soft drink package.  Because of that additional requirement, I didn't purchase a package at all and will use the diamond drinks and pay for any additional drinks over and above that and will save money.  I would have to spend more than $717.00 on additional drinks to not come out ahead. 

Yes, if one person is getting the Deluxe package, everyone over 21yo in the same room has to at least get the Refreshment package (not the soft drink "Classic Soda" package, which runs about $9/day).  

Note that water purchased as you get off the ship can't be charged to the voucher (at least on Symphony).  If you want to use a voucher for water do it at a bar.  Recommend if you haven't used your vouchers in the evening you get some bottles of water.  They may just give them to you, though.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, brillohead said:

What would work better financially for people who do smoothies and foo-foo coffee drinks as well as booze drinks would be to get the Refreshment package and use that for sodas, bottles of water, smoothies, and coffee drinks, then use the 4-5-6 vouchers for the boozy drinks every day.  You'd just want to specify to the server that you want to use your package for the non-alcoholic drinks, so your vouchers would be available for the booze.

We typically get the Refreshment Package because we aren't big drinkers. For our cruise in Aug, I kept my Refreshment Package and just got my DH the Soda package, he doesn't drink coffee and could buy a mocktail if he ran out of his vouchers. 

I drink a lot of water (A LOT) I tried to keep count of my Fraps and my water to see if it was worth it or not for me to do the same on our next cruise. I'm not sure I broke even on a few days but if the Refreshment package is around $20/$23 I'll do it... But my next cruise has been at $30... That is not worth it!  
But I do agree with you. Between the wine you can bring on with you, the Wine & Dine discounts the refreshment package should be enough for most Diamond and above. But some have been buying drink packages so long, its like second nature to continue.