Covid on Iona

Cathygh

I have had a reply to my questions from P and O 

I asked why P and O have not advised international cruisers of Protocols regarding positive testers and negative close contacts being offloaded.

I asked questions regarding no insurance cover available for such scenario through holiday extras and others.

I asked if P and O were going to cover costs to cruises who were not covered for such scenario. 

I asked why P and O were advising sail with confidence whilst being aware that cruisers were being offloaded for both positive and close contact negative either through P and O or port of call official protocols.

My answer from SHELLY. While I sent an email Shelly has replied via Messenger????

THANK YOU FOR YOUR MESSAGE
ON OUR INTERNATIONAL CRUISES THIS IS AT THE DISCRETION OF LOCAL PORT AUTHORITY AT THE TIME AND MAY VARY ACCORDING TO DESTINATION AND COUNTRY. GUESTS MAY HAVE TO DISEMBARK FROM THE SHIP TO ISOLATE IN A DESIGNATED COVID -19 FACILITY ASHORE. IF THIS IS NOTREQUIRED FROM THE PORT AUTHORITY THEN WE WOULD ISOLATE GUESTS ON BOARD BEST WISHES SHELLY.

Well I'm glad Shelly cleared that up. In other words you have booked your cruise you take your chances best wishes keep your fingers crossed. I shall endeavour and reply and ask Shelly if she would actually read my questions and and answer.  

• Like 1

Interesting reply ! Appreciate things changing from day to day so very difficult times as it’s one  rule today and a different one tomorrow. Tricky fine line for cruise lines to tread from their point of view. But it doesn’t help passengers ‘Sail with Confidence’. A bit more transparency wouldn’t come amiss.

If it differs from port to port perhaps they should publish what info they have even though it can change but they can advise that is the case. It would help.

Will be very interested to hear the reply that hopefully Megabear2 will receive.

Edited by watsonbeau

1 hour ago, Swanseasailor said:

I asked why P and O have not advised international cruisers of Protocols regarding positive testers and negative close contacts being offloaded.

I asked questions regarding no insurance cover available for such scenario through holiday extras and others.

I asked if P and O were going to cover costs to cruises who were not covered for such scenario. 

I asked why P and O were advising sail with confidence whilst being aware that cruisers were being offloaded for both positive and close contact negative either through P and O or port of call official protocols.

My answer from SHELLY. While I sent an email Shelly has replied via Messenger????

ON OUR INTERNATIONAL CRUISES THIS IS AT THE DISCRETION OF LOCAL PORT AUTHORITY AT THE TIME AND MAY VARY ACCORDING TO DESTINATION AND COUNTRY. GUESTS MAY HAVE TO DISEMBARK FROM THE SHIP TO ISOLATE IN A DESIGNATED COVID -19 FACILITY ASHORE. IF THIS IS NOTREQUIRED FROM THE PORT AUTHORITY THEN WE WOULD ISOLATE GUESTS ON BOARD BEST WISHES SHELLY.

Well I'm glad Shelly cleared that up. In other words you have booked your cruise you take your chances best wishes keep your fingers crossed. I shall endeavour and reply and ask Shelly if she would actually read my questions and and answer.  

Jeepers creepers! Left hand, right hand.  Yes, do follow up.  Maybe Shelley's quote is one for your wife's FB section.  At least she's confirmed in writing what might happen ....

.... and while we are waiting, it does feel as if we are driving at night in thick fog with main beam on!

I did say I would report back on my situation so, for general information, here goes:

I am booked on a 28 day Caribbean Cunard cruise (Southampton to Southampton) from Jan 14th 2022.

My T.A. wanted the final payment about a month before Cunard's 90 days point -  cheek, but what can you do?

- and added a fine on for late payment even before their due date had arrived! incompetence

Of course, I deducted it and then paid up in time.

A few days later Cunard announced that Final Payment was now no longer wanted at the 90 days out point, but it was being moved to 30 days out (i.e. mid-December in my case).

I therefore asked my T.A. for my final payment back (£5k+) for the two and a half months between when I had paid them and Cunard's new payment date. It was my money and I did not see why they should have the benefit of holding it.

First they replied, in writing, that Cunard had not changed the final payment date from 90 days out to 30 days - so I had to quote chapter and verse from Cunard back to them. more incompetence.

Then they conceded that they were still holding my money and would arrange for it to be returned to me. However they demanded that I return it back to them by mid-November (so once again giving them one month to hand it over to Cunard!) more cheek.

Even so, they have NOT paid my money back to me!

I had first requested it on September 29th - so almost 4 weeks ago. deceit? more incompetence?  lies? - you choose.

All this is the behaviour of a well-known TA who appear either to regard their customers with contempt or are completely not up the job.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As a matter of interest, is messenger Facebook? Excuse my ignorance!

The Messenger app is a separate app to Facebook. However, users' profiles can be set using their Facebook account or telephone number.

31 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

The Messenger app is a separate app to Facebook. However, users' profiles can be set using their Facebook account or telephone number.

So how would P&O link the email from Swanseasailor unless they are monitoring him/his wife on FB? Does this mean Shelley is following their posts on face of Iona? 

I have no social media accounts, this is one of only three places I am active and this is intermittently.  I have openly told them I use CC and get information from here.  Could this be why I'm being taken more seriously and getting more open replies?

39 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

.... and while we are waiting, it does feel as if we are driving at night in thick fog with main beam on!

I did say I would report back on my situation so, for general information, here goes:

I am booked on a 28 day Caribbean Cunard cruise (Southampton to Southampton) from Jan 14th 2022.

My T.A. wanted the final payment about a month before Cunard's 90 days point -  cheek, but what can you do?

- and added a fine on for late payment even before their due date had arrived! incompetence

Of course, I deducted it and then paid up in time.

A few days later Cunard announced that Final Payment was now no longer wanted at the 90 days out point, but it was being moved to 30 days out (i.e. mid-December in my case).

I therefore asked my T.A. for my final payment back (£5k+) for the two and a half months between when I had paid them and Cunard's new payment date. It was my money and I did not see why they should have the benefit of holding it.

First they replied, in writing, that Cunard had not changed the final payment date from 90 days out to 30 days - so I had to quote chapter and verse from Cunard back to them. more incompetence.

Then they conceded that they were still holding my money and would arrange for it to be returned to me. However they demanded that I return it back to them by mid-November (so once again giving them one month to hand it over to Cunard!) more cheek.

Even so, they have NOT paid my money back to me!

I had first requested it on September 29th - so almost 4 weeks ago. deceit? more incompetence?  lies? - you choose.

All this is the behaviour of a well-known TA who appear either to regard their customers with contempt or are completely not up the job.

Tell them you will be charging them interest!

In the next 12 to 18 months its likely many travel agents (small and large) won't survive

The reason they delay refunds is their cashflow is in a desperate situation

Some cruise lines may themselves disappear once the dust settles 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

2 hours ago, Swanseasailor said:

This is typical of just about every query I have ever made to P&O, they only ever answer one of the questions, and even then not fully, in my experience they are among the worst customer service providers in the UK.

I do so dislike their take ot or leave it attitude.

18 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

In the next 12 to 18 months its likely many travel agents (small and large) won't survive

The reason they delay refunds is their cashflow is in a desperate situation

Some cruise lines may themselves disappear once the dust settles 

Which is why I use a TA that does not hold my money at all. Booking is made through the TA, but the credit card payment goes directly to the cruise line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

So how would P&O link the email from Swanseasailor unless they are monitoring him/his wife on FB? Does this mean Shelley is following their posts on face of Iona? 

I have no social media accounts, this is one of only three places I am active and this is intermittently.  I have openly told them I use CC and get information from here.  Could this be why I'm being taken more seriously and getting more open replies?

Mystery solved before I Emailed CEO I posted similar Questions on P and O FB page. While it was Emily who I expect a reply to my Email CEO, Shelly must be one of the poor souls who have to trawl through FB moans and groans. After trawling through a few I feel sorry for Shelly as it seems they are being given minimum information which is probably an attempt by P and O to keep everyone in the dark for as long as possible.

Its like if I felt unwell on a cruise would I risk informing P and O and possibly being offloaded next port. Well P and O in my opinion are infected and not telling us. 

43 minutes ago, Swanseasailor said:

Mystery solved before I Emailed CEO I posted similar Questions on P and O FB page. While it was Emily who I expect a reply to my Email CEO, Shelly must be one of the poor souls who have to trawl through FB moans and groans. After trawling through a few I feel sorry for Shelly as it seems they are being given minimum information which is probably an attempt by P and O to keep everyone in the dark for as long as possible.

Its like if I felt unwell on a cruise would I risk informing P and O and possibly being offloaded next port. Well P and O in my opinion are infected and not telling us. 

Well that's quite interesting.  If they are monitoring FB then they must know the word is getting around.  Not being a social media user I actually thought the companies probably turned a blind eye.  Its actually quite a bold statement if Shelley has put it into the FB page, am I reading that right or is it private?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well that's quite interesting.  If they are monitoring FB then they must know the word is getting around.  Not being a social media user I actually thought the companies probably turned a blind eye.  Its actually quite a bold statement if Shelley has put it into the FB page, am I reading that right or is it private?

Hi Megabear2 no not on the FB page its private. But the comments on P and O customer service are not good. And the main reply customers are getting is P and O are dealing with very complex ever changing foreign protocols regarding covid. It seems many customers not buying their excuses.

How long is it currently taking for P & O to respond to emails?  I contacted them a week ago with a list of  7 question (some general, others Covid related) using the Contact Us button on their web site.  I have yet to receive even an acknowledgement  email.

I also contacted Azamara on the same day with a problem and they responded with a personal email within hours, and had the problem sorted within three days.

15 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

How long is it currently taking for P & O to respond to emails?  I contacted them a week ago with a list of  7 question (some general, others Covid related) using the Contact Us button on their web site.  I have yet to receive even an acknowledgement  email.

I also contacted Azamara on the same day with a problem and they responded with a personal email within hours, and had the problem sorted within three days.

It’s quicker on FB messenger or Twitter DM they only take about 5 days to reply on them 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

On a different subject, do we have any news of how the Britannia transatlantic is going? Last I heard everyone was being tested before Madeira, and as I've heard no more I assume all was well and everyone's now safely on their way to the Caribbean.

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

On a different subject, do we have any news of how the Britannia transatlantic is going? Last I heard everyone was being tested before Madeira, and as I've heard no more I assume all was well and everyone's now safely on their way to the Caribbean.

As fas as I can tell all is ok. I've not seen any reports of any being off loaded at Madeira.

Just a quick note, I have been following a thread on Facebook.  A lady on there has mentioned she knows a couple who were removed at Cadiz, and the cruise line picked up the bill for quarantine hotel and flights back, I am unsure if it is P&O.  I have asked the question but as yet she hasn't got back to me.

That will be good to know.   Am collating a list of "incidents" at present, which line etc.  If anyone finds any can they post here with line, region and numbers?  Not so interested in US ones unless they are Caribbean islands removing passengers.

1 hour ago, PEMCO007 said:

Just a quick note, I have been following a thread on Facebook.  A lady on there has mentioned she knows a couple who were removed at Cadiz, and the cruise line picked up the bill for quarantine hotel and flights back, I am unsure if it is P&O.  I have asked the question but as yet she hasn't got back to me.

So, the EU restart protocols required the cruise line to organise and also effectively indemnify the country for the cost of disembarkation, quarantine and repatriation of affected quests. Otherwise they can’t dock.

Therefore some ports see this as a money making scheme as the cruise line must pay even though the cruise line are happy to deal with onboard. Other ports take a more sensible approach of not wanting infected passengers in their cities so let them remain onboard.

On the flip side, the cruise lines have upped their requirements for insurance for passengers to try and pass the cost on. However this creates a bit of a Mexican stand-off between insurer and cruise line over who pays. Bear in mind that cruise companies take out various insurances to limit their financial risks, this ends up as insurer A v insurer B.

So, the passenger shouldn’t pay but the cruise line won’t confirm as that gives the passenger’s insurance a way out of paying. Likewise travel insurance firms will only pay out if they absolutely must hence not confirming coverage either if they is a change they can manoeuvre the cruise line into carry the can.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

So, the EU restart protocols required the cruise line to organise and also effectively indemnify the country for the cost of disembarkation, quarantine and repatriation of affected quests. Otherwise they can’t dock.

Therefore some ports see this as a money making scheme as the cruise line must pay even though the cruise line are happy to deal with onboard. Other ports take a more sensible approach of not wanting infected passengers in their cities so let them remain onboard.

On the flip side, the cruise lines have upped their requirements for insurance for passengers to try and pass the cost on. However this creates a bit of a Mexican stand-off between insurer and cruise line over who pays. Bear in mind that cruise companies take out various insurances to limit their financial risks, this ends up as insurer A v insurer B.

So, the passenger shouldn’t pay but the cruise line won’t confirm as that gives the passenger’s insurance a way out of paying. Likewise travel insurance firms will only pay out if they absolutely must hence not confirming coverage either if they is a change they can manoeuvre the cruise line into carry the can.

Understand what you are saying but with respect most sensible people will not set sail to be the centre of an argument between insurance companies, ports, cruise lines, underwriters ... the list goes on and on.  If one of my family is ill I want to concentrate my energies on that not worrying about who pays, what hoops I need to jump through etc. and experience of dealing with travel insurance tells me that it will always be difficult. Travelling as a single passenger or sharing with a non relative is virtually signing a blank check without a written agreement. There is absolutely no comfort from insurance companies for single cruisers as any offloading is as a result of an unknown third party contact.

At the end of the day I want total peace of mind before sailing that I'm not going to be paying for such an event and the terms of RCL, Celebrity and Azamara and a few others offer that in writing for me to see at stage 1, ie looking to purchase a trip. Of course I'm happy to buy my insurance, always have done, but not with the stress involved at present.

The cruise lines demand I take insurance to a certain level, that's good but I cannot purchase cover for these events.  We are not alone: people in Australia, Canada and the US are all now questioning. 

Whilst I have always said I have sympathy with the cruise lines I still feel somewhat misled.  Assumedly the number of people being affected is pretty small due to the special protocols so really I cannot see any need for the cruise lines to hide behind not wanting insurance companies to know they will pay.  These companies aren't stupid and word will get out that the tab is being picked up. If it isn't word will get out to the passengers and that would surely be even more damaging to the cruise lines?

Clarity and simple terms: definition of Treating Customers Fairly.

Edited by Megabear2
Spelling
  • Like 2

The way I see it is when the P and O insisted we take special cruise insurance out that was actually to cover their own costs to get you off the boat and back home

They were focussed on what their own risks were. And not focussed on the financial  risks of us the passengers

Hence they haven't even considered some of the questions we are asking right now. As they didn't even see those questions as their problem to even warrant considering 

Only becomes a problem to them if it hurts them financially 

Am I wrong?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

It seems to me as a solo cruiser that the best thing to do is avoid joining any bubbles whilst cruising which i don't mind doing. Would you mind sharing a table sir? No thanks I don't want to be bubbled. Nice excursion sir? No thanks have been on them all lots of times and I don't want to be bubbled. As a non bubbled person I would be offloaded because I tested positive in which case I am ill or how do they prove I was in a 'virtual' bubble and not a real one with someone else and not potentially hundreds of other people who happened to be in that bar or whatever that evening.

As for the money making ports, if that is Cadiz I suggest they drop it pronto. Nowt to do there anyway unless you go to Jerez or take the walk around town which I have done many times.

Finally, do I understand correctly that this could turn out to be an argument between your insurance company and P&O's insurance company about who picks up the tab, with you as piggy in the middle.