Anyone on Sep 29 Tahiti cruise? Stopover in Tahiti islands forbidden during weekend?

aprilsp88

Hi,

Can anyone share the experience of no stopover during weekend?

I read from https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/

Regarding the new measures of movements and activities applicable from Saturday October 9th to Sunday, October 17th, 2021

Cruising from Papeete to the islands may resume. Stopovers are forbidden on weekends in the islands subject to the lockdown measures.

I called Windstar, they say the restriction has been lifted, but the above is the latest update today.

Anyone know where I can get the most updated correct info?

And if stopover is forbidden, what's your experience? Does Windstar tender near the port of call, where you can use the sport platform, or just float around as if it's sea day?

Thanks,

April

On 10/6/2021 at 4:12 PM, aprilsp88 said:

Hi,

Can anyone share the experience of no stopover during weekend?

I read from https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/

Regarding the new measures of movements and activities applicable from Saturday October 9th to Sunday, October 17th, 2021

Cruising from Papeete to the islands may resume. Stopovers are forbidden on weekends in the islands subject to the lockdown measures.

I called Windstar, they say the restriction has been lifted, but the above is the latest update today.

Anyone know where I can get the most updated correct info?

And if stopover is forbidden, what's your experience? Does Windstar tender near the port of call, where you can use the sport platform, or just float around as if it's sea day?

Thanks,

April

April,

A CC friend is on the 10/7 Spirit sailing so hopefully we can find out soon.

Interestingly she was on the 10/6 Breeze sailing which was cancelled, and pretty much last minute WS wonderfully moved her to the 10/7 Spirit. Miraculous because that’s what they wanted all along. She’d been booked on May 2021 Spirit when that was canceled, but at that time WS would only offer her Breeze as a replacement. Like many of us she felt Spirit was the only way to experience FP. 

I can’t wait to hear from her. Going to write and see if she has any time to give us a running review.

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

April,

A CC friend is on the 10/7 Spirit sailing so hopefully we can find out soon.

Interestingly she was on the 10/6 Breeze sailing which was cancelled, and pretty much last minute WS wonderfully moved her to the 10/7 Spirit. Miraculous because that’s what they wanted all along. She’d been booked on May 2021 Spirit when that was canceled, but at that time WS would only offer her Breeze as a replacement. Like many of us she felt Spirit was the only way to experience FP. 

I can’t wait to hear from her. Going to write and see if she has any time to give us a running review.

@Petoonya

Your friend is so lucky! Would be wonderful if we can get some update from her. Thank you for checking!

We have an app to trace the ship location, will see where is Spirit tomorrow.

Thanks,

April

Edited by aprilsp88
add @

Hello,
apologize I’m having a hard time posting on CC right now. Won’t let me post using iPhone, only tablet.

We are here on the Oct.7th sailing of the Windspirit and having a fantastic time. There are 68 people onboard. Currently we are in Raiatea. We will overnight here and go to Motu Mahaea tomorrow for beach day and lunch bbq. Since the weekend lockdown was lifted, we will experience the cruise as normal. French Polynesia still has a 9pm curfew every night but that doesn’t affect our cruise. Windstar is allowing independent excursions and you can get off the ship and walk around if you like. This is about as good as it gets in this “new normal”.

We really didn’t have enough time to try to rebook independent excursions as we were pivoting to this sailing with 1 week prior to leaving the US. We have been very happy with the ship’s excursions we have taken thus far. They are operating on a reduced capacity . For example, the whale watch/swim with Dr Poole on Moorea, we had 4 people so we had essentially a private tour with Dr Poole!

The Coral Garden drift snorkel was 6 people and they have a max of 8.

Ask any questions and I’ll be happy to answer!

Stephanie

Edited by baloothecat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@aprilsp88 I Didn’t see any tour operators on the pier on Raiatea or Moorea other than the ones contracted to Windstar. They could’ve been there, I just didn’t see any. There  were some vendors set up at the selling handicrafts at the Moorea cruise terminal. Also the same on Raiatea. I’ll ask around. 

Stephanie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1