Chic Night Sport Coat, Edge?

lv2cruisgrl

6 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

That is not necessarily true.  We are Zenith members and have dined with the Captain and Senior staff on several occasions.  We no longer took sport coats with us and we dined in dress pants and nice long sleeve shirts.  Never felt out of place.

That makes perfect sense and addresses the inconsistencies with dress codes if Jackets and ties were required to dine with Senior ship officers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

That is not necessarily true.  We are Zenith members and have dined with the Captain and Senior staff on several occasions.  We no longer took sport coats with us and we dined in dress pants and nice long sleeve shirts.  Never felt out of place.

I can only speak from our one experience. We are elite now but were only classic tier when we received the invite. So obviously not as well travelled as you. But in our case, we received the invite after having a lovely extended conversation with the Captains Club host at the Welcome event. It was an Alaska cruise so DH had a sport coat with him simply as his preferred after dinner deck stroll attire. But the invitation specified jacket and tie so a quick trip to the onboard shop was in order for the neckwear. Looking at the photo they give as a souvenir, all men were similarly attired. But as they say, YMMV.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bloomcruisers said:

I can only speak from our one experience. We are elite now but were only classic tier when we received the invite. So obviously not as well travelled as you. But in our case, we received the invite after having a lovely extended conversation with the Captains Club host at the Welcome event. It was an Alaska cruise so DH had a sport coat with him simply as his preferred after dinner deck stroll attire. But the invitation specified jacket and tie so a quick trip to the onboard shop was in order for the neckwear. Looking at the photo they give as a souvenir, all men were similarly attired. But as they say, YMMV.

I do not doubt you at all.  I too, can only speak from experience  I can remember a cruise many many years ago, when we were the top cruisers and invited to dine with the Captain on a formal night.  We had sport coats with us back then, but no tuxedos. They actually took our measurements on the ship a few days before dinner and brought us the full tux attire to wear.  A lot has changed since they went from formal night to evening chic........

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I thought that before COVID they had eliminated the classic Captains dinners.

Our last pre covid cruise was January 2020 and we had dinner with the Captain and a few Senior Staff Officers.  it was not at a table in the MDR as it once was, it was in a Specialty restaurant.

2 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

Our last pre covid cruise was January 2020 and we had dinner with the Captain and a few Senior Staff Officers.  it was not at a table in the MDR as it once was, it was in a Specialty restaurant.

Yes, we had a Royal suite and had lunch with the Senior officers in Tuscan. This was in summer of 19.

22 minutes ago, George C said:

They may have stopped this, we were in penthouse in July and we had no invention on edge.

yes, I believe post covid, this is a thing of the past.  We were in a Royal Suite and Top cruisers in August and there was no dinner with Captain or Senior Staff.  Hopefully, when this pandemic is over, that will come back....It was always a great dinner event.

1 hour ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I do not doubt you at all.  I too, can only speak from experience  I can remember a cruise many many years ago, when we were the top cruisers and invited to dine with the Captain on a formal night.  We had sport coats with us back then, but no tuxedos. They actually took our measurements on the ship a few days before dinner and brought us the full tux attire to wear.  A lot has changed since they went from formal night to evening chic........

In the old days before being in a suite became more important than being in the Captains Club we were invited  three times on formal night. Twice with the Captain, once with the staff Captain. Jacket was requested and I was wearing tuxedos then so no problem.  One of the times one of the invited did not wear one and that did not seem to matter. What I recall most was wines frequently poured and that a young, attactive, solo woman was invited each time . 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Did they catch you poking your breadsticks into the butter pats on the first night?

My mom goes crazy over those breadsticks. We've had occasions where they will bring over just a basket of them for her. Similarly, my dad LOVES his coffee ice cream. If it's not available the waiters usually say they can make it for him, and lo and behold the next evening there will be coffee ice cream available!