Free $100 OBC for veterans, retirees and active duty sailing out of San Diego only

farjar

HAL is giving $100 in OBC to veterans, retirees and active duty personnel sailing out of San Diego between now and the end of 2021.  I wasn't sure if my husband qualified because we purchased our cruise 6 months ago and he is a veteran but not a retiree.  Yesterday went to the web site, filled out a very simple form and was notified today he will be receiving credit.  It's nice that HAL is recognizing our military men and women.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/sandiego-military-appreciation-offer.html

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

I can't be absolutely certain, but I think Princess does that or at least did.  

Princess did have a Military OBC for all cruises, amounts were the same as the Stock OBC, not sure about now

Edited by richwmn

24 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Does anyone know if this applies to non American veterans?  My sister is retired military.  We’re not scheduled to sail from San Diego any time soon but thought I’d ask anyway. 

Princess treats Canadian military exactly the same as the American military.  Both get the benefits.  Interesting that Canadians get this positive treatment but other close allies (read Australians, really, arguably our closest allies) do not get this benefit.  Not clear to me how Holland America will treat Canadian military.

Here's the link at HAL to redeem this offer for those looking for it:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/sandiego-military-appreciation-offer.html

Interesting that it says active and retired military, although someone mentioned earlier that they received it as a veteran, non-retired (good for you and thanks for your service, all of you).  It doesn't mention whether it is offered only to US military.

Would like to see this expanded and operated like Princess does their program.  Are you listening, Jan? 😁

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm - As a vietnam era Veteran I think this is great.

As somebody who is cruising on HAL out of Fort Lauderdale in early December - I do wonder why this is only for those who are cruising out of San Diego?

I know that SanDiego is having Fleet Week this year, but that is the only military item of note for San Diego that I am aware of. I certainly do not begrudge the veterans sailing out of San Diego this acknowledgement, and benefit.

I am just sort of wondering why the embarkation port limitation?

And I do thank FloranceItaly & Calnev1 for pointing this ongoing benefit  out for Princess cruises - I was not aware of this Princess benefit. 

15 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Yes, Princess still offers it.  Years ago we sent in a copy of my dh's DD214, and when we book the OBC automatically shows up.  It can be combined with stockholder credit.

10 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Yup.  As retired military, we have always gotten this on every Princess cruise.

Princess just went up a notch in my cruise decision matrix. 

I have to put it in my Notes file for my next Princess cruise - right next to my notes for CCL Stockholder benefit - thank you.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Hmmmm - As a vietnam era Veteran I think this is great.

As somebody who is cruising on HAL out of Fort Lauderdale in early December - I do wonder why this is only for those who are cruising out of San Diego?

Perhaps it's a pilot program?  👍🤞  Might be something Jan Swartz, president of Holland America Group, who came from Princess Cruises, is behind?

21 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Thanks so much..just filled the form out for DH Navy vet..we are sailing out of SD early December!!

So happy I was able to pass on the information.  Several people have mentioned applying for it.  I even posted it on the Roll Call thread for our upcoming cruise in case anyone missed it here.  I have learned many things over the years thanks to the kindness of Cruise Critic posters.  Glad I was able to return the favor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, farjar said:

So happy I was able to pass on the information.  Several people have mentioned applying for it.  I even posted it on the Roll Call thread for our upcoming cruise in case anyone missed it here.  I have learned many things over the years thanks to the kindness of Cruise Critic posters.  Glad I was able to return the favor.  

You're so right!!..Like you I've learned a TON and CCers are always "in the know". I remember on 1 T/A on Celebrity leaving from Europe CCers posted that 1 of our ports had changed due to very bad weather..even before we heard it from Celebrity!! CCers were able to starting re-arranging plans right away!! I also passed this along to our friends who are sailing on the same cruise. Thanks again!!

• Like 2