UK "Day 2" COVID Test in Southampton - by post or in person?

frankp01

Appreciate this may be a little late for your needs, but may help others. There is a govt approved testing site near Southampton airport  - Express Test by Cignis. About 15- 20 mins taxi from port. Supervised testing at the site but I believe the swabs are then sent to a lab for testing and you are notified by txt/email within 48 hrs. 

• 2 weeks later...

So now the goalposts have moved and the antigen tests we have purchased are now not suitable. We disembark the Queen Elizabeth on 23rd December and need to have a test with rapid results to ensure we can spend Christmas with our family in the South. That means Express Test would not get the results back to us in time. Any other suggestions?  We are going to have to isolate in a hotel until we get the results. 

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

So now the goalposts have moved and the antigen tests we have purchased are now not suitable

Uggh. I spent yesterday agonizing over this. We have self tests ordered through Testingforall. PCR samples have to be sent to the lab, so I don't want to have to rely on the post. There is a testing site in Westquay. They can get results in 24-36 hours. But, are we allowed, and/or should we, take the bus from Heathrow so we can get tested there? I suspect finding a site in Heathrow will be insane.

To top it off, we had our antigen tests delivered to our Southampton hotel. I learned yesterday (and not from the hotel) that the hotel has closed to independent travellers for a few months, because it has signed a government contract which will fully occupy it!

I had got LFT's for our party and done the PLF for everyone. Now I need PCR for all and go through the PLF palava  again but don't even know if getting off at ports is going to be an option at this point 😞 It's taken the pre cruise excitement down several notches

10 hours ago, sandancer said:

We have our antigen tests all ready to go. That really worked. Not. 

We are booked on same cruise as you and just booked the "randox" day 2 PCR.   If I read it correct if you get it delivered to home (now) and drop it to their dropbox on day of arrival 23rd Dec, they guaantee a result by 24th at 22:00.    Ie, Christmas with Family still a go.   Check their dropboxes as not all open over xmas period, but looking at ones on our drive home some appear to be.   Plan will be to take the test with us on the ship, take it after getting off (as thats allowable, doesnt have to be day 2, it's anytime from day 0 to day 2).   Drop to dropbox on way home, and isolate for all of 23rd until results arrive on 24th.

1 minute ago, starquake said:

We are booked on same cruise as you and just booked the "randox" day 2 PCR.   If I read it correct if you get it delivered to home (now) and drop it to their dropbox on day of arrival 23rd Dec, they guaantee a result by 24th at 22:00.    Ie, Christmas with Family still a go.   Check their dropboxes as not all open over xmas period, but looking at ones on our drive home some appear to be.   Plan will be to take the test with us on the ship, take it after getting off (as thats allowable, doesnt have to be day 2, it's anytime from day 0 to day 2).   Drop to dropbox on way home, and isolate for all of 23rd until results arrive on 24th.

It worked for me in October, but of course that was a regular day.  They empty most of the boxes around 3pm and once I’d registered (which you can’t do until you know the time of taking the test, which I did the moment I got back to the UK) the email with the results came very quickly.

Just now, IB2 said:

It worked for me in October, but of course that was a regular day.  They empty most of the boxes around 3pm and once I’d registered (which you can’t do until you know the time of taking the test, which I did the moment I got back to the UK) the email with the results came very quickly.

Yes, my father said same, as he booked them for PCR in peak travel period in Aug with this years peak arrivals into LHR for end of school hols. 

No issues he said, results quicky assuming you used the dropbox that picked up earliest for your convienience.  (randox have many).   I note that many also now say if open over xmas period (and some even are open xmas day from the notes) so I imagine randox are running fine over xmas given the notes on the boxes availabiity.

Given chrismtas is a peak travel period and Randox is (one) of the BA suppliers youd expect nothing less.

8 minutes ago, IB2 said:

If I read it correct if you get it delivered to home (now) and drop it to their dropbox on day of arrival 23rd Dec, they guaantee a result by 24th at 22:00.    Ie, Christmas with Family still

I may have missed it, but things are a bit fraught at the moment!   The above sounds fine, who is it with please.

1 minute ago, indiana123 said:

I may have missed it, but things are a bit fraught at the moment!   The above sounds fine, who is it with please.

Randox -> thats how we read their documentation.    I have booked them perosnally based on my "current" reading of their terms and reccomendation from my father from the day 2 testing back in end of Aug... and it looks to meet our requirements.  

Should add they offer same day PCR (certain locations), and express service too, may be worth an email to them if you need same day PCR service.

We booked the following https://covid.randox.com/day-2-test-at-home/

Hope it helps others, but it seems clear to me from the guidance, drop to dropbox as soon as possible after test using their app etc as required.    Results back next day.    The website on contact us clearly shows they operating over the christmas period (as you would expect being the BA partner).    I couldn't find anyone other than above who offered testing over xmas period.   But please don't blame us if it all goes wrong, we have backup plans if needed, this is just what we chosing to use to allow us to still cruise and see family over xmas.

23 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Do you mind if I ask how much the Randox test costs. I had intended to try and find a testing centre and do it there and then but I think that will be very expensive and I’ve already bought the antigen tests. Thanks 

Today £48 a test delivered (inc delivery).   Was £36 last night, and am kicking myself for not ordering before everyone travelling over Christmas found it..     It's still around £35 if you pickup from one of their locations instead of delivery before you go ... but there were none within 100 miles of home so didn't seem worth effort in terms of time (despite owning an electric car that costs near nothing per mile, making 100 miles cost £1 or so).

In comparison a same day PCR price was £100 a test or thereabouts when I last checked.

Looks like Randox updated website to include "same day" tests by a "person" at airports now too at a higher cost... However the "guaranteed" result remained at next day by 11pm, so basically it seems to me you are paying for the priviledge of someone else sticking a stick up your nose.

It's looking like "collinson" also do PCR tests with a slower turnaround at a (notably) higher cost (£70) at the moment..  (I would expect them to update over the week to compete with randox, as they are the other "large airport" supplier.).      They also have a longer before cruise/flight order period (ie, you must order at least 7 days before leaving to receive the item).

On 11/28/2021 at 11:11 PM, starquake said:

Today £48 a test delivered (inc delivery).   Was £36 last night, and am kicking myself for not ordering before everyone travelling over Christmas found it..     It's still around £35 if you pickup from one of their locations instead of delivery before you go ... but there were none within 100 miles of home so didn't seem worth effort in terms of time (despite owning an electric car that costs near nothing per mile, making 100 miles cost £1 or so).

In comparison a same day PCR price was £100 a test or thereabouts when I last checked.

For Randox Use Coupon Code BritishAirways at check out for discount.

The Regenerative Clinic West Quay Southampton, appears open over the festive period except 25th December for same day results at some branches  May be an option for some.  They also have other branches, prices depends on location and how quick you need the result  of the test.

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/covid-19/

Edited by LifeonMars

we managed to get our LFT cost as a discount off the PCR test, they will update all the information on the GOV.UK and we keep the original unique identifiers. See they all charge for delivery now as well as adding at least £10 to the cost.