72 Hour covid Test

DAVLIB007

On the Sail Safe page, under the first question, it is now saying........ ''We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution.''

So seems to have moved to four days, although question 15 still states 72 hours.

Edited by redlock
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Yes.  And for a PCR the timing can get tight, especially if you need to fly into a port the day before.

My current plan (Sunday sailing, flying in Saturday) is to get a PCR on Thursday, since NCL expressed a preference for PCR.  There's a saliva test that United used for Hawaii travelers, and I'd probably use that.  But if I don't have results in time -- and I likely wouldn't -- I'll just get an antigen test at the airport.  I don't want to get on a plane only to test positive/need to quarantine in a strange city.  If nothing else, after my negative antigen test, perhaps the PCR results would come through before I show up at the pier.

I've had a lot of PCR tests prior to being vaxxed and the timing was all over the place, from 36 hours to 3 weeks.  

its says you can get an antigen test 

2 hours ago, redlock said:

On the Sail Safe page, under the first question, it is now saying........ ''We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution.''

So seems to have moved to four days, although question 15 still states 72 hours.

"We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel." 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, redlock said:

Very interesting.  If I have 96 hours, a PCR is not a problem.  Of course, who knows whether the policy changes again before my sailing in mid-December.  72 hours wasn't reasonable if they wanted a PCR, considering many are flying into their port (at least) a day before.

Edited by phillygwm

39 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

"We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel." 

talked to NCL rep said antigen test was ok

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

talked to NCL rep said antigen test was ok

Yes.  It says a PCR is preferred but an antigen is acceptable.  When I had 72 hours, effectively 48 considering I was coming in the day before, antigen was the most practical option; I wouldn't have traditional PCR results in time.  With 96 hours, I can get a PCR test with sufficient time to get results before stepping on a plane.

Lixogab, many thanks for your in depth research!   We are booked for January 9th 2022  There language is so very ambiguous, certainly intended , lol.

Birdtravels, thanks also for providing information.

Need to stop obsessing over this, but want to get back to cruising, but I worry over anything and everything.  going to take the plunge and hope for the best, fully vaccinated, getting booster as soon as we can.

Volunteer at our local COVID call testing Center and know false positives are a concern, so my concern.

Will be reading up on any all changes after January 1st.  Many thanks!!!

17 hours ago, redlock said:

Read that also.  Good to hear

On 10/10/2021 at 3:58 PM, washcruise13 said:

Just make sure you give enough time to get your test results!  most claim between 24-72 hrs for results.  If you decide to take your test Thursday or Friday, you may not get your test results in time for your cruise.

Also make ABSOLUTELY SURE your results will be back on time!!! Depending on where you live this may not be possible.  Our cruise leaves Sunday and I called every pharmacy/clinic that did PCR testing in our area and none of them would have it back before Monday as they do not process on the weekends.  We called NCL and they said they would allow the antigen test so we are doing that tomorrow. 

Edited by CruizinKittie40

On 10/13/2021 at 7:23 AM, phillygwm said:

Yes.  And for a PCR the timing can get tight, especially if you need to fly into a port the day before.

My current plan (Sunday sailing, flying in Saturday) is to get a PCR on Thursday, since NCL expressed a preference for PCR.  There's a saliva test that United used for Hawaii travelers, and I'd probably use that.  But if I don't have results in time -- and I likely wouldn't -- I'll just get an antigen test at the airport.  I don't want to get on a plane only to test positive/need to quarantine in a strange city.  If nothing else, after my negative antigen test, perhaps the PCR results would come through before I show up at the pier.

I've had a lot of PCR tests prior to being vaxxed and the timing was all over the place, from 36 hours to 3 weeks.  

We are in the same situation but a little worse.  We sail Sunday but we are flying out tomorrow to get there a day early.  When I called NCL to clarify when to get the test they confirmed for a PCR go Thursday.  I pointed out to them that it is unlikely we will know results before stepping on a plane.  They told me they understood but that was the guidance.   NCL really should consider modifying the guidelines especially when you have to travel overseas to get to your ship.  

Edited by Lockup

8 hours ago, roger001 said:

I think the change from 72 to 96 is significant enough to have it as its own thread, with reference.  Makes a big difference in being able to get tested.  

This is true.  Also, Rapid Antigen tests are in short supply in some areas, so not even an option for some.  

1 hour ago, Lockup said:

We are in the same situation but a little worse.  We sail Sunday but we are flying out tomorrow to get there a day early.  When I called NCL to clarify when to get the test they confirmed for a PCR go Thursday.  I pointed out to them that it is unlikely we will know results before stepping on a plane.  They told me they understood but that was the guidance.   NCL really should consider modifying the guidelines especially when you have to travel overseas to get to your ship.  

The problem is the longer you go out, the less worthwhile the test becomes.  I can see people flying out a week early for some "destination" ports.  You'd basically need to test twice.

If I were in your position (and I was when we only had 72 hours) I'd go with the rapid antigen test.  The guidance is that NCL prefers PCR but can accept antigen if that's what you can do.  At least then you'll have results by the time you get on the plane, which is the important part.  Many larger airports offer antigen testing on site, for a fee.

Another option may be the rapid PCR but those tend to be more costly so depending on how many travelers, it could add up.

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

The problem is the longer you go out, the less worthwhile the test becomes.  I can see people flying out a week early for some "destination" ports.  You'd basically need to test twice.

If I were in your position (and I was when we only had 72 hours) I'd go with the rapid antigen test.  The guidance is that NCL prefers PCR but can accept antigen if that's what you can do.  At least then you'll have results by the time you get on the plane, which is the important part.  Many larger airports offer antigen testing on site, for a fee.

Another option may be the rapid PCR but those tend to be more costly so depending on how many travelers, it could add up.

We got a PCR test.  I’m personally not a big fan of the antigen test.  I’ve seen too many people test positive and then come up negative on a PCR.  I’m not sure I want to roll the dice on my whole vacation on an antigen test and then have my PCR test come back negative the next day.  The place we went said 24-48 hours and my wife went there before and got her results back.  It is unlikely we will get them back before the plane though.  At least if I have to quarantine in Greece I can still say I’ve been there.