Mahogany Bay Question

Sue Goodreds

What is your opinion of the port at Mahogany Bay?  My husband and I will be there in January.  We're wondering if we should schedule an excursion (but really don't like the travel times to/from) or just plan a port beach/pool day there.  What has been your experience?

I repy only because no one else has. I have not been to Mahogany Bay BUT I have wandered though the website more than once. The complex was designed to offer passengers everything they could need if wishing to stay in at the Port, food, shopping and what looks like a huge beach. 

With that said, I believe one is missing the opportunity to hire a private driver and learn about the island from a local.  Additionally, if snorkeling is your thing Roatan offers some of the best in the Caribbean, mostly on the opposite side if the island from Mahogany Bay. 

It all comes down to personal choice. 

Enjoy your holiday! 

• Like 1

In mid-July, we disembarked from the Vista and spent a couple of hours in Mahogany Bay. Hubby and I took the scenic route and walked along the nature trails to take pictures of the Vista and of the beach area itself. Once we reached the beach, we set up our towels, etc. on some loungers under some kind of tropical tree (not a palm) and we took turns swimming in the sea. It was very peaceful and not crowded at all (we went rather early in the morning.) We did not buy anything to eat or drink, although there was a bar and restaurant very close to us.

On the way back to the ship, we debated stopping to souvenir-hunt in one of the few stores that are located in the beach area, but we chose not to. We did find out from a worker that the "magical" chair lifts cost $12 or so for an all-day ticket. We opted out - hubby doesn't care for things that are high off the ground (so no North Star, lol) and I had no urgent desire to go on them, anyway. 

We would likely go back to Mahogany Bay if Roatan is on our itinerary again on a Carnival cruise. We've done the "animal petting and beach shore"excursion twice with Victor Bodden tours, so we didn't feel a need to do something like that again, at least not for awhile. 

Edited by sushitex
  • Like 1

We've been to Mahogany Bay many times.  sometimes we do excursions off site like sloths or West Bay/West End/ or zip lining.  Other times we just head down to the beach like sushitex and hang out for a couple of hours.  Always, skip the "magic chairs" . The shops in the shopping area carry pretty much all of the types of souvenirs you'd buy, including Honduran hand rolled cigars and moiuntain grown coffee from he mainland.  Can be an inexpensive day.

• Like 1