Formal night dress code on the Victory

jimc_usa

Sorry if this has already been discussed - but I thought I read somewhere that the formal night dress code on the Victory is less formal than on other ships? True or False?

Stay away from tank tops and shorts & most of the time any thing else goes. We saw jeans both formal nights on our cruise

b8tzm & jmic. I haven't read or heard of a single ship out of the entire fleet having different a policy from all the others.

The only announced relaxation of expectations I've read of was the inclusion of sport coat and tie for men as being acceptable for formal nights.

Have a great cruise.

Very False BUT....... the Victory as well as other ships suffers from the same problem we all encounter. That is you can pick your ship, your week to go and where you want to go but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people going with you. So it is possible that on any given week on board the Victory that the majority will be what we call the "less than formal" crowd. This means you have a boat load of those "I'm on vacation so I'll do it my way" which translate into no coat and no tie on formal night and more likely than not no one including Carnival staff will or can do a thing about it. So you may have heard back from someone who was on one of those weeks.

So bottom line is read the other threads here about formal nights and you'll get an idea of the can of worms you have already opened up here because it applies to all ships on all lines. The problem is not just at Carnival but Carnival seems to attract the worst of the dress code busters. What seems to get most men up in their tizzy is they refuse to wear a monkey suit to eat. That's fine because unknown to them Carnival has already fixed that problem by lowering the standards across the ship line to making the tux optional along with dark suits or a jacket and tie. And for those that can't seem to come up with a jacket and tie they provide alternate dining at night on the Lido. Yet for some reason many still don't get it if you know what I mean. And the number who don't seem to be on the raise at least at Carnival. They read in the spelled out and well written travel documents before they pack and go, they read it again on the ship in the daily paper everyone gets and they get to see it one more time at the door in written form with a big sign at the door and still they don't get it. No normally you would think these type people are just dense, maybe even a little shy of a load but others will tell you different. They will come up with all types of reasons on why being wrong is the right way to go on a cruise concerning formal night. Have I said enough? Next!

Very False BUT....... the Victory as well as other ships suffers from the same problem we all encounter. That is you can pick your ship, your week to go and where you want to go but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people going with you. So it is possible that on any given week on board the Victory that the majority will be what we call the "less than formal" crowd. This means you have a boat load of those "I'm on vacation so I'll do it my way" which translate into no coat and no tie on formal night and more likely than not no one including Carnival staff will or can do a thing about it. So you may have heard back from someone who was on one of those weeks.

So bottom line is read the other threads here about formal nights and you'll get an idea of the can of worms you have already opened up here because it applies to all ships on all lines. The problem is not just at Carnival but Carnival seems to attract the worst of the dress code busters. What seems to get most men up in their tizzy is they refuse to wear a monkey suit to eat. That's fine because unknown to them Carnival has already fixed that problem by lowering the standards across the ship line to making the tux optional along with dark suits or a jacket and tie. And for those that can't seem to come up with a jacket and tie they provide alternate dining at night on the Lido. Yet for some reason many still don't get it if you know what I mean. And the number who don't seem to be on the raise at least at Carnival. They read in the spelled out and well written travel documents before they pack and go, they read it again on the ship in the daily paper everyone gets and they get to see it one more time at the door in written form with a big sign at the door and still they don't get it. No normally you would think these type people are just dense, maybe even a little shy of a load but others will tell you different. They will come up with all types of reasons on why being wrong is the right way to go on a cruise concerning formal night. Have I said enough? Next!

I will pick up there and add to the incoming attacks and insults from those of us who stand to go along with guidelines and traditions. These people who have the I don't care its my vacation attitudes sum it up very quickly.. They are talking in the first tense I, ME, MY etc.. They don't care of those around them, their wait staff etc because they are too ignorant to realize we are all on the cruise together. When the cruise line asks for formal night that applys to all, otherwise they would name it "night" only. Lastly, by continuing to dress down and pull the I, me, mine attitude all it will continue to do is bring Carnival to lower its standards further.. Carnival is the FUN SHIP LINE.. not the ignorant Slob line. Fire away.

Wow! I was trying to be nice. You said it nicely. Amazingly when these dress code flame wars do start up by the end the majority seem to care and do what is expected of them. I feel like the non-smokers vs. the smokers.... you can't win for loosing in the argument of wrong vs right. And in a way dressing properly is sorta like not smoking, it's the right thing to do.

Wow! I was trying to be nice. You said it nicely. Amazingly when these dress code flame wars do start up by the end the majority seem to care and do what is expected of them. I feel like the non-smokers vs. the smokers.... you can't win for loosing in the argument of wrong vs right. And in a way dressing properly is sorta like not smoking, it's the right thing to do.

exactly.. I have been reading and participating in the jeans war, seem like forever now.. I think I finally had to be blunt..

People will argue to they are blue in the face.. but the fact remains, they have guidelines, it is in the name of the night... hence Formal.. there really shouldn't be a debate.. You will always have ignorant people that feel rules dont apply to them and ruin it for everyone.

No kids in the hot tub - (except for those who that sign doesn't apply to)

Formal nights - doesn't mean you best Fraternity T shirt

No smoking - but mine is only one.. no won minds..

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Excuses are their own.. and everyone who breaks the rules has one.. But hey I guess it makes for good discussions.

And as I've said before regarding the I, ME, MY etc. croud that doesn't care care about the Host's dress request...

If you want to be a pig ... go ahead... no one is going to stop you. But don't get upset at dirty looks and people talking about you... both behind your back and with-in ear shot... about being a pig.

And as I've said before regarding the I, ME, MY etc. croud that doesn't care care about the Host's dress request...

If you want to be a pig ... go ahead... no one is going to stop you. But don't get upset at dirty looks and people talking about you... both behind your back and with-in ear shot... about being a pig.

Nicely Said.

Also,

Don't come on here as a cruise critic and start ranting and raving because you are part of the problem, and shouldn't be the ones commenting on anything else.

I often wonder what those that wish to lower the standards requested, suggested and/or expected, would have to say if the cruiseline decided to lower the standards of the cruise. Such as, once daily cabin service or even every other day. Replacing the menue selections to what we have as common every day meals such as we might have at home. (meatloaf, hamburger steak, sloppy joes or fried chicken). Three courses at dinner instead of a five course dinner. Dropping the position of asst waiter and having the waiter pick up the slack. It seems logical that if senior management observes a trend of the customers aiming at lower standards, the cruiseline may see this as a logical suggestion to further dumbdown the cruise vacation. Certainly the dropping of positions and other actions can increase the profit margin.

Certainly the dropping of positions and other actions can increase the profit margin.

Exactly. I really don't understand why cruiseline just don't make it part of the contract on exactly what dress is acceptable. And add the clause that is is 100% up to the cruiseline whether your are appropriately dressed for the dining room or any formal event, before allowing you to proceed.

Clubs do it all over the United States and Canada. They don't care about the cost of the garment... they care about whether you have dressed to their standards. The word will get around very quickly that that propper drees is required.

Exactly. I really don't understand why cruiseline just don't make it part of the contract on exactly what dress is acceptable. And add the clause that is is 100% up to the cruiseline whether your are appropriately dressed for the dining room or any formal event, before allowing you to proceed.

Clubs do it all over the United States and Canada. They don't care about the cost of the garment... they care about whether you have dressed to their standards. The word will get around very quickly that that propper drees is required.

I still think that about 90% of the people do dress appropriately and make the effort, perhaps higher... yeah... higher. There are always going to be "those" people, and there is nothing you can really do about it. I wish that they would be a little more strict, but I don't see it happening... all we can all do is continue to dress appropriately, and ignore the few that don't have the manners or respect to do so ;)

I was on the Victory 2 years ago, and it was the same as on all other ships I've been on. Everyone pretty much has a different idea of what is formal. To some it's an evening gown and tux, to others it's Dockers and an oxford shirt (I did see a couple in matching Oxford shirt and Dockers). I've also seen jeans. So use your best judgement. Besides when else do you get to get all dressed up anyway???

I still think that about 90% of the people do dress appropriately and make the effort, perhaps higher... yeah... higher. There are always going to be "those" people, and there is nothing you can really do about it. I wish that they would be a little more strict, but I don't see it happening... all we can all do is continue to dress appropriately, and ignore the few that don't have the manners or respect to do so ;)

I have never been on a cruise (first one this year) so I have no reference point. I was talking to my Mom the other day about this board and some of the tips I have picked up (skipping dinner first night to see the bridge =). I told her that one of the most heated topics seems to be the dress code. She was a little surprised because in her 6 cruises she has never noticed anyone wearing jeans in the dining room. They could have been there, she just didn't notice. She did point out though that she would have appreciated jeans on some of the young teen girls who dress like street walkers on formal night! She said she noticed more younger girls dressing in low dresses, high heels, and clown make-up.

Archived