Formal night dress code on the Victory

jimc_usa

What dress code?

No jeans and no hooker dresses (per my wonderfully conservative mother;) ).

Just a personal thought. It is about -8 degrees here tonight in the Chicagoland area. When I take my cruise next winter there is no way in the world I am wearing pants. Any pants. No jeans, no khakis, no pants!!! Not going to happen!!! I am looking forward to escaping the frigid winter and I am not taking my frigid winter wear with me!

And as I've said before regarding the I, ME, MY etc. croud that doesn't care care about the Host's dress request...

If you want to be a pig ... go ahead... no one is going to stop you. But don't get upset at dirty looks and people talking about you... both behind your back and with-in ear shot... about being a pig.

Hmmmmmmmm.... Is it ruder to wear slacks and a nice shirt or to send dirty looks or to talk about people behind thier back or to thier face? Grow up allready.

As to the OP We went on the Victory last September and it was no more lad back then the other Carnival ships we have been on. Use your better judgement and dress to what you feel formal is for you. People like Ventureman_2000 may be in a majority on these boards but they are definetly not on the ship. most people could care less what other people are wearing and are just there to enjoy thier meal.

Have a great time!

You can pretty much tell how her Mom feels about respect of others and no doubt her daughter going on her first cruise will do right by the rules and dress as suggested. What worries me is these (you say maybe 10%, I say increasing annually)type that want to "have it their way" bring their children on the cruise are teaching them that it's okay to buck the rules, okay to show disrepect to others, okay to not pay attention to others, and okay to disobey other ship rules and when they grow up and cruise there will be no more formal night on Carnival. Hdawson had it right in saying what if they lowered the standards to meet the demands their clients seem to possess.

Problem is they really already have done that by lowering the suggested dress on formal night to a simple sport coat and tie and offering steak,baked potato and salad with ranch dressing and apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla every night of the week if you want it. I remember the days when it was Tux suggested, dark suit optional. And no such thing as steak,grilled chicken every night if you asked for it.

They have opened the Lido deck for those that don't want to play dress up yet they insist on eating with those that do. And I would suspect if you left the do not distrub sign on your door for the week it would not be cleaned so you would feel right at home. Heck is you are lucky your toliet will back up just like a home too!

No jeans and no hooker dresses (per my wonderfully conservative mother;) ).

Just a personal thought. It is about -8 degrees here tonight in the Chicagoland area. When I take my cruise next winter there is no way in the world I am wearing pants. Any pants. No jeans, no khakis, no pants!!! Not going to happen!!! I am looking forward to escaping the frigid winter and I am not taking my frigid winter wear with me!

I have seen both jeans and hooker dresses and for that matter kilts and togas, so if there is a dress code, I guess the chances of enforcement are slim and none.

Hmmmmmmmm.... Is it ruder to wear slacks and a nice shirt or to send dirty looks or to talk about people behind thier back or to thier face? Grow up allready.

I don't understand your logic... you said, "Is it ruder to wear slacks and a nice shirt"...

I don't consider it rude to wear slacks and a nice shirt.

And folks who are determined to ignore the Host's dress request should not be surprized by the dirty looks and talk behind their backs.

I have seen both jeans and hooker dresses and for that matter kilts and togas, so if there is a dress code, I guess the chances of enforcement are slim and none.

In the past have the cruise ships had a more defined dress code? I think that "resort casual" is awfully vague. Have they ever stated NO JEANS or anything more concrete in their dress code? I'm sure some of you "older folks" have some experience you can share! After you get over the "older folks" remark....:D

In the past have the cruise ships had a more defined dress code? I think that "resort casual" is awfully vague. Have they ever stated NO JEANS or anything more concrete in their dress code? I'm sure some of you "older folks" have some experience you can share! After you get over the "older folks" remark....:D

In the past and even today on some cruise lines, formal means formal and not these b*stardized one size fits all suggested intentionally vague and unenforceable non-policies.

Even on the Titanic I wore jeans, but that was in steerage.

In the past have the cruise ships had a more defined dress code? I think that "resort casual" is awfully vague.

What a bunch of crap!

Carnival is very clear...

spacer.gif...Either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same.

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly, and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear:

• tuxedo (optional);
  • suit and tie;
  • sport coat,
  • tie and slacks;
  • evening gown;
  • cocktail dress;
  • pantsuit

Casual Resort Wear:

• sport shirts and slacks;
  • dresses;
  • skirts;
  • pantsuit

NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

What a bunch of crap!

spacer.gif...Either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. quote]

You need to chill out there with the language and name calling. My post was a question for people who have sailed in the past. Was the dress code ever different. Simple.

And yes, I do think "resort casual" is vague. What if your only point of reference is a Disney Resort. That is very casual. And they list like 3 items there for casual. Not all women want to wear a skirt or dress. Period.

I was asking a question because I was curious. If you have nothing to offer but your rantings about pigs in the dining room then ignore my posts and move on. Thanks :)

What a bunch of crap!

spacer.gif...Either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same.

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly, and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear:

• tuxedo (optional);
  • suit and tie;
  • sport coat,
  • tie and slacks;
  • evening gown;
  • cocktail dress;
  • pantsuit

Casual Resort Wear:

• dresses;
  • skirts;
  • pantsuit

NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

The only part that is ever enforced (and by no means always) is the NOTE.

As for putting in the contract, why bother? Booze smuggling is specifically prohibited in the cruise contract and rairly enforced.

Nope, nothing about jeans in those "rules" anyway.

Note, they no longer even say dark suit. A lime green leisure suit would be fine.

Note Note, the dress suggestions on the website do not match the dress suggestions once on board the ship which does not match what is in...

I don't understand your logic... you said, "Is it ruder to wear slacks and a nice shirt"...

I don't consider it rude to wear slacks and a nice shirt.

And folks who are determined to ignore the Host's dress request should not be surprized by the dirty looks and talk behind their backs.

Dirty looks? Talking behind someones back? Now thats rude, and childish. Please this isn't grade school. seems to me its always the same people getting flammed up about the dress code, and its really getting redundant. I was implying that someone in nice slacks and a dress shirt would not feel out of place, or be like a "PIG" as you so put it.

Perhaps you were refering to someone wearing shorts and a wifebeater tank............lol I might get out a snicker on that one but hey I'm only human :)

Dirty looks? Talking behind someones back? Now thats rude, and childish. Please this isn't grade school. seems to me its always the same people getting flammed up about the dress code, and its really getting redundant. I was implying that someone in nice slacks and a dress shirt would not feel out of place, or be like a "PIG" as you so put it.

Perhaps you were refering to someone wearing shorts and a wifebeater tank............lol I might get out a snicker on that one but hey I'm only human :)

But to be fair, doesn't it go both ways?? Isn't the same people flaming on the other side of the dress code issue???? Generally, yes... you can always count on the same people, on both sides of the issue. There is always going to be flaming on this subject, it happens... many choose to stay out of these very opinionated subjects... Some people think dirty looks is rude and childish, some people think that going to formal night and dismissing the suggested guidelines shows a lack of manners and disrespect... you are never going to change anyone's opinion, regardless of which side of the debate they are on...

But to be fair, doesn't it go both ways?? Isn't the same people flaming on the other side of the dress code issue???? Generally, yes... you can always count on the same people, on both sides of the issue. There is always going to be flaming on this subject, it happens... many choose to stay out of these very opinionated subjects... Some people think dirty looks is rude and childish, some people think that going to formal night and dismissing the suggested guidelines shows a lack of manners and disrespect... you are never going to change anyone's opinion, regardless of which side of the debate they are on...

I agree with this and i have no opinion on the dress codes either way. We choose to dress how we want to. The name calling is a bit much and when someone comes on a tells a new cruiser that 95% are in formals thats just not true. Or they make statements to the fact that it matters to everyone else what your wearing thats not true either. Maybe on the cruise they were on there were alot of formals, but on all the ones i have been on it was about a 70/30 mix of formals and khackis, but thats just my experience. You can't speak for everyone is my point. there are at least 2000 different people on every cruise and you never know what to expect.

I feel sorry for all the first time cruisers that read these post, the stress over what to wear must be killing them.........lol

What a bunch of crap!

spacer.gif...Either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. quote]

And yes, I do think "resort casual" is vague.

So I quoted Carnival... do you really think they are vague... Hardly!

What don't you understand about:

Formal Wear:

• tuxedo (optional);
  • suit and tie;
  • sport coat,
  • tie and slacks;
  • evening gown;
  • cocktail dress;
  • pantsuit

Casual Resort Wear:

• dresses;
  • skirts;
  • pantsuit

Cause they didn't point out the infintesimal different combinations of clothing Carnival thinks you shouldn't wear, means you can wear them...?

If you can't understand the definitions above... you are not the sharpest tool in the shed.:rolleyes:

Dirty looks? Talking behind someones back? Now thats rude, and childish. Please this isn't grade school.

I'm not talking grade school. I'm talking real life. If you dress inappropriately... you are going to hear people make fun of you... because it is likely to happen...

That's life.

And just as Carnival can't keep people from dressing as pigs... you can't keep poeple from glancing at you with disgusted looks... and saying things behind our back or with-in ear shot... regarding how inappropriately you are dressed.

The only part that is ever enforced (and by no means always) is the NOTE.

As for putting in the contract, why bother? Booze smuggling is specifically prohibited in the cruise contract and rairly enforced.

And if you are caught smuggling in booze... it is inforced. The difference between booze smuggling and and dining room dress is that you can't smuggling in in-appropriate dress, while booze... you can.

Archived