Formal night dress code on the Victory

jimc_usa

Then with the logic of some, bathrobes in the dining room would be just fine since they aren't specifically excluded? How about jeans with holes? No specific mention. Where to draw the line? Just for your specific desire, or the desire of the person coming into the dining room right after you? There will always be someone wanting to push the envelope just a bit further.

And please, after 25 years in the clothing trade, nobody in their right mind really thinks that slacks include jeans. If someone came into my store and asked to see slacks, they would in no way be directed to jeans. If they were, there is a good chance of them walking out of the store to find a store where the help had some intelligence. The requested standard of dress is not at all vague. Everyone understands what is intended, whether they admit it or not.

Ventureman:

You should concentrate on your food and dining companions, and not on other passenger's tables, or are you one of those people that just cant mind your own business?

I couldn't give a rat's ass what you are wearing or the reasons for it. Why do you care what someone else wears?

Ventureman:

You should concentrate on your food and dining companions, and not on other passenger's tables, or are you one of those people that just cant mind your own business?

I couldn't give a rat's ass what you are wearing or the reasons for it. Why do you care what someone else wears?

And you must be the same person that ignores Carnival's request of dress in the dining room.

You can be a pig and wear what you want in the dining room against what Carnival asks that you wear... and very likely get away with it. But if you do... you are indeed the definition of a Pig.

And you must be the same person that ignores Carnival's request of dress in the dining room.

You can be a pig and wear what you want in the dining room against what Carnival asks that you wear... and very likely get away with it. But if you do... you are indeed the definition of a Pig.

I'd sit next to you and oink all night...and I'd laugh, and laugh, and laugh and laugh. Then if you said anything, I'd do a pig dance on your tux.

I personally wear a suit...but I could care less what anybody else wears.

The lack of a dress code and lack of enforcement of suggested dress code is designed to maximize Carnival's bottom line. That is really all that matters to a corporation. They aren't about to mess with something that works. If anything, the suggested dress code will only become even less restricted.

Eventually, those that want a costume party will have to pay extra, much like for some of the alternative restaurants that exist today.

As the ships become bigger and bigger, and there is more and more mass marketing, that is the only choice.

exactly.. I have been reading and participating in the jeans war, seem like forever now.. I think I finally had to be blunt..

People will argue to they are blue in the face.. but the fact remains, they have guidelines, it is in the name of the night... hence Formal.. there really shouldn't be a debate.. You will always have ignorant people that feel rules dont apply to them and ruin it for everyone.

No kids in the hot tub - (except for those who that sign doesn't apply to)

Formal nights - doesn't mean you best Fraternity T shirt

No smoking - but mine is only one.. no won minds..

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Excuses are their own.. and everyone who breaks the rules has one.. But hey I guess it makes for good discussions.

Again...a stone thrower living in a glass palace...you slam people who don't follow the rules and guidelines, yet YOU are guilty of it yourself. Why don't you walk the walk and talk the talk.

Hypocrites abound !!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE

Ok Ok.. I know the first rule about sneaking booze on board is not talking about bringing booze on board... BUT.. I could use a hand...

Does anyone have a good idea on how to smuggle a case of beer on board and keep it cold? Are the fridges big enough?>>

Quote:"Note Note, the dress suggestions on the website do not match the dress suggestions once on board the ship which does not match what is in..."

Now if you had packed your clothing based on the precruise documents why would it matter if it does not match once on board? Little to late by then don't you think? Carnival plainly(glad they have people reading these posts)has a poor dress code suggestions. People don't know proper grammer and can't figure out the comma after sport coat so you will see some with just a sport coat over their casuals, some with just a tie and slacks(looks good on the women but men with hairy chest not so good). And right the non use of the word "jeans" is very misleading for those "jeans" kinda people.

And yes, many, many years ago the code was much more strick and jeans was a written no-no along with shorts, tank tops,...etc.. But then years ago cruisers were better at understanding what to pack for a cruise and you didn't have any code busters. They didn't have the Lido open either. To me the whole problem is the Lido. They provide alternate dining for those that don't want to dress up to the code, yet it's those people that insist on not going to the Lido and showing up in whatever in the mainDR. That's the part I don't get. Maybe if they would go back and close the Lido at night it would lower our ticket prices. These bums that break all the dress code rules are costing those that dress properly a higher ticket. We should have a right to complain.

So I quoted Carnival... do you really think they are vague... Hardly!

Cause they didn't point out the infintesimal different combinations of clothing Carnival thinks you shouldn't wear, means you can wear them...?

If you can't understand the definitions above... you are not the sharpest tool in the shed.:rolleyes:

You are probably the most defensive person I have ever seen on a message board! What is with the negativity and name calling and insulting? Is that at all called for. Did I ever say I thought jeans were ok?So do you even read the posts or are you just waiting to insert your witty little pig remark like you do in all the threads?

One of the posters said they lowered their standards on the dress code in the past. I was wondering if they actually lowered them or if the cruisers interpret the dress code differently. Why is that so difficult to understand? And YES. It is vague. Skirt. That could mean a denim skirt to some, yet others think that no jeans means no denim at all. People interpret things differently. Just because someone doesn't think like you doesn't mean they are dense. Hardly!

I think it is obvious from certain posters here that dressing "accordingly" does not make you a better person! I would rather sit by one of those "pigs" in the dining room than sit by someone in a tux who is so miserable they have to insult the other people around them. Who wants that when they are trying to enjoy themselves?

It's really a shame. I thought you could come on here and ask questions and just have discussions. I had no idea everything was such a debate and grown people resort to name calling. I agree 100% with the person who mentioned first time cruisers coming on these boards. They have been so helpful in some ways, but to get insulted for asking a simple question is completely uncalled for.

I haven't said what I wear in the dining room. Why do you jump to conclusions? Personally, I wear a suit. Big deal. Other people wearing jeans is of no consequence to me because its none of my business.

Why do you care?

I like you!!! To many people worried about what everyone else is doing. :eek: :eek:

I said I thought I read it somewhere and it is here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=175

The cruisecritic review under DRESS CODES

Overall, this is a more casual ship than most. There are two formal evenings per week (around half the men opt for dark suit) and the rest are casual. For men, this means slacks and a shirt (dress or polo). No jeans or T-shirts in the dining room. Women tend to get a bit dressed up most evenings. Daytime attire is shorts and T-shirts.

People some of you have got to get some other life besides web sites.

The only part that is ever enforced (and by no means always) is the NOTE.

As for putting in the contract, why bother? Booze smuggling is specifically prohibited in the cruise contract and rairly enforced.

Nope, nothing about jeans in those "rules" anyway.

Note, they no longer even say dark suit. A lime green leisure suit would be fine.

Note Note, the dress suggestions on the website do not match the dress suggestions once on board the ship which does not match what is in...

What's really funny is that on one of our cruises, there was a man who had a different color neon tux for every night. I kid you not! Lime green, pink, blue, you name it. What a hoot!

Archived