Cruiselines changing refundable deposit to future cruise credit

mcmarg

Wondering if anyone else is having issues with Celebrity cruise-lines changing a refundable deposit for a future booking that was made onboard to a time limited, non transferable future cruise credit? We are Canadians with mixed Covid vaccines that are currently not recognized by Celebrity for U.S. departing cruises. Thus we cancelled our upcoming Jan. 3, 2022  prior to the Oct. 6, 2021 deadline. My Travel agent had no success despite 2 attempts with a Celebrity agent, same here. I have sent 2 emails to their Resolution dept. without response & spent countless hours on hold for same. Have never cancelled a cruise with Celebrity so this is quite unexpected & disappointing. Anyone else having issues or have any suggestions? 

While there are a number of Celebrity cruisers who are regulars on the Canadian Cruisers board, I think that you are more likely to get assistance if you repeat your post over on the Celebrity board.

I don't recall ever reading about someone experiencing a similar issue. The only question I have is whether the TA actually made the cancellation on time. I'm not suggesting that's the case, but it is the only logical explanation that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll get other ideas on the Celebrity board. 

I hope that you get your problem resolved to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

Sorry you are going through this, last time we cruised 2019 we booked another cruise.  I know we never liked the wording of a “Future Cruise Certificate”, so we just selected a Cruise that we thought we might go on & if not we changed it & the deposit & onboard credit went with it.  Since we have not cruised since then & we had too many on hold we have cancelled a couple & our deposit went back to the credit card it was taken from. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While there are a number of Celebrity cruisers who are regulars on the Canadian Cruisers board, I think that you are more likely to get assistance if you repeat your post over on the Celebrity board.

I don't recall ever reading about someone experiencing a similar issue. The only question I have is whether the TA actually made the cancellation on time. I'm not suggesting that's the case, but it is the only logical explanation that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll get other ideas on the Celebrity board. 

I hope that you get your problem resolved to your satisfaction.

Thx for the suggestion, will post on Celebrity board. We were 3 wks. ahead of the Oct. 6 deadline for cancellation. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, If only said:

Sorry you are going through this, last time we cruised 2019 we booked another cruise.  I know we never liked the wording of a “Future Cruise Certificate”, so we just selected a Cruise that we thought we might go on & if not we changed it & the deposit & onboard credit went with it.  Since we have not cruised since then & we had too many on hold we have cancelled a couple & our deposit went back to the credit card it was taken from. Good luck!

I fully expected them to refund without issue. My next move is to contact my VISA & if no luck there try to forward my issue to the Captain’s club/Celebrity engagement in hopes that they can intervene or direct my issue appropriately. Good to hear that you had no issues with your refund.