A heads up on how to post in the roll calls

Peregrina651

Have you recently attempted to add a post to your roll call and now can't find it?  Are you new to CC and the roll calls? Keep reading.

At the top of each each roll call, just above the first post, there is a  big blue button to open a reply composing window:

image.png.99e737f6b54a3d880dba583f0aa144ac.png

To its left are three fatal words (as in very confusing): Start new topic. This heads up is about those three words -- and explains why what you thought you posted in the roll call was not there when you went looking for it. It's not your fault!

In the language of this message board platform, a 'thread' is called a 'topic.' Very confusing. It is not where you click if your roll call is currently talking about shorex and you want to talk about specialty reservation --although a logical assumption given the nature of the roll calls, which jump around from subject to subkect. If you click on Start new topic, it will take you out of the roll call and open a new thread/topic -- and the people on your roll call will not see what you have to say or ask.

Anytime you want to say anything on your roll call, either click on Reply to this topic or scroll to the bottom of the thread to use

image.png.2d604ab8a9c2c39d2ee7a74c5eb81ef7.png

BUT NEVER EVER click Start new topic in a roll call.

At one point, CC had removed the Start new topic choice from the roll calls but they must have undergone some sort of upgrade that restored the inappropriate option. It may or may not be fixed--and in the meantime, we just have to live with it.

If you were caught in the trap, go back to your roll call and try again. Your fellow roll call members are waiting to hear from you. Don't worry about the thread that was created; it will eventually sink to the bottom of the pile -- and it is not worth the hassle of trying to get it fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Babyjax12 said:

This is as complicated as filing my taxes. 😄

Or choosing a Medicare supplemental plan.😖

Still as long as we remember NEVER EVER click Start new topic in a roll call, we won't go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

FYI -- I may be able to explain why CCF uses the term "Topic" rather than "Thread".  "Topic" is a term used in publish/subscribe, a model for data distribution.  "Thread" is the term associated with organizing messages in an email client.  You're probably all used to the idea of organizing your email into threads -- grouping all the replies to a message together as a thread. But in the case of CCF .. which traces its lineage all the way back to America Online (AOL) - it set up its information sharing service in accordance with the publish/subscribe model, i.e., users publish (create/reply to) a topic while other users subscribe to (follow) that topic. I won't go into the details of this model more than that. To me .. 'topic' in the context of CCF makes perfect sense; whereas "thread" simply wouldn't. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1