Can I do covid test in Canada??

kwcruise

I can't seem to get an answer for this one... Cruising in December with Carnival out of Miami and want to know if I can do my covid test in Ontario and bring results with me? Does anyone know or have experience with this? Thanks!

Yes of course you can as long as it is 2 days prior to cruise if your vaccinated.  I wa planning on getting mine and flying the day before the cruise so i could use my test for the cruise and the flight.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Yes of course you can as long as it is 2 days prior to cruise if your vaccinated.  I wa planning on getting mine and flying the day before the cruise so i could use my test for the cruise and the flight.

In Canada, do you need a test simply to fly domestically?  Or is it because you are flying internationally that triggers it?

2 minutes ago, jsglow said:

In Canada, do you need a test simply to fly domestically?  Or is it because you are flying internationally that triggers it?

Canadians need a negative antigen or PCR test to fly into the US. We don't need tests to fly domestically. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Canadians need a negative antigen or PCR test to fly into the US. We don't need tests to fly domestically. 

Wish our Govt would give us the same options for returning from the US

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

There's no need for any test to fly into the US currently. The test requirement is for boarding a cruise, and in most cases it is cheaper and easier to have the test done before flying to the US. Those people who are staying for a few days pre-cruise fly down without the test and take it in the US.

39 minutes ago, jsglow said:

No and no. There is no test requirement, domestic or international currently. Come the end of this month, however, you must be fully vaccinated to fly from any Canadian airport, no matter what the destination might be.

2 hours ago, kwcruise said:

I can't seem to get an answer for this one... Cruising in December with Carnival out of Miami and want to know if I can do my covid test in Ontario and bring results with me? Does anyone know or have experience with this? Thanks!

2 hours ago, kwcruise said:

Yes. Go to your local Shoppers Drug Mart and take the $40 antigen test within 2 days of embarkation. Bring your printed results with you to Miami for check in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There's no need for any test to fly into the US currently. The test requirement is for boarding a cruise, and in most cases it is cheaper and easier to have the test done before flying to the US. Those people who are staying for a few days pre-cruise fly down without the test and take it in the US.

No and no. There is no test requirement, domestic or international currently. Come the end of this month, however, you must be fully vaccinated to fly from any Canadian airport, no matter what the destination might be.

Yes. Go to your local Shoppers Drug Mart and take the $40 antigen test within 2 days of embarkation. Bring your printed results with you to Miami for check in.

Thank you for your response. That is not a PCR, is it? The Carnival site states that the test needs to be PCR... Have you used the antigen test with Carival?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kwcruise said:

Thank you for your response. That is not a PCR, is it? The Carnival site states that the test needs to be PCR... Have you used the antigen test with Carival?

If you are fully vaccinated, which you will need to be to enter the US by December, then you only need an antigen test. From the Carnival website:

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There's no need for any test to fly into the US currently.

not true 

COVID test requirements

Every guest two years of age and older is required to have either:

• A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of scheduled departure
  • COVID-19 PCR, NAAT (i.e. RT-LAMP) or Rapid Antigen tests are accepted.
  • Or, documentation of a previous positive test result and documentation of recovery.
  • A letter from a licensed health care provider of public health official needs to accompany your positive test result.
  •  

32 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

not true 

COVID test requirements

Every guest two years of age and older is required to have either:

• A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of scheduled departure
  • COVID-19 PCR, NAAT (i.e. RT-LAMP) or Rapid Antigen tests are accepted.
  • Or, documentation of a previous positive test result and documentation of recovery.
  • A letter from a licensed health care provider of public health official needs to accompany your positive test result.
  •  

Might I ask you what website you are quoting? I suspect that you are looking at a cruise line website, not a US government site dealing with entry requirements. The fact that it refers to "Every guest..." is pretty much a dead give away, as visitors to the US are never referred to as "guests" on any government site I've visited.

This question was about Canada. Someone posted that no test is needed for flying into the US. This is not correct.

A number of Caribbean islands need a negative antigen test to fly to the United States or the airline won't even let you board. 

Just flew in from Aruba last week.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Might I ask you what website you are quoting? I suspect that you are looking at a cruise line website, not a US government site dealing with entry requirements. The fact that it refers to "Every guest..." is pretty much a dead give away, as visitors to the US are never referred to as "guests" on any government site I've visited.

its on theWestjet site for US entry requirements.  Also my Pharmacist offers antigen testing for travel to the US.  Below is from Air Canada...

Travellers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed no more than 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary. If a traveller’s flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, the traveller could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. Test results must include the traveller's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. The test must also clearly state that the results are "negative," SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected," SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected," or "COVID-19 not detected." A test marked "invalid" is not acceptable. This requirement applies to all travellers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travellers, as well as travellers who have been vaccinated. Travellers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as a home test) that meets the given criteria. Please check the source for more information. Some US states might have more strict rules regarding COVID-19 test types and where they must be administered. Please carefully review the rules prior to travel to each state.

19 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

its on theWestjet site for US entry requirements.  Also my Pharmacist offers antigen testing for travel to the US.  Below is from Air Canada...

Travellers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed no more than 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary. If a traveller’s flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, the traveller could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. Test results must include the traveller's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. The test must also clearly state that the results are "negative," SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected," SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected," or "COVID-19 not detected." A test marked "invalid" is not acceptable. This requirement applies to all travellers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travellers, as well as travellers who have been vaccinated. Travellers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as a home test) that meets the given criteria. Please check the source for more information. Some US states might have more strict rules regarding COVID-19 test types and where they must be administered. Please carefully review the rules prior to travel to each state.

Of course you need a negative test! My mind must have been in neutral when I wrote that. I has posted elsewhere on the need for vaccinations (not required as yet) and was in that mind set still I guess. Anyway, sincere apologies! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nancydee said:

I am also cruising in December.

My issue is where to get a test after I get off the ship, before I can fly home?🤷‍♀️

I did some research today and learned that you can book appointments at Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports before your flight. Not sure where you are flying from....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If you are fully vaccinated, which you will need to be to enter the US by December, then you only need an antigen test. From the Carnival website:

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

Thank you. I appreciate your kind attention to my questions. This is all overwhelming for a first time traveller since the pandemic started.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwcruise said:

I did some research today and learned that you can book appointments at Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports before your flight. Not sure where you are flying from....

Flying from Fort Lauderdale to Plattsburgh New York (about an hour from Montreal) and driving over the border.

Edited by nancydee

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Of course you need a negative test! My mind must have been in neutral when I wrote that. I has posted elsewhere on the need for vaccinations (not required as yet) and was in that mind set still I guess. Anyway, sincere apologies! 

no worries my brain has been in neutral before as well.

8 hours ago, nancydee said:

Flying from Fort Lauderdale to Plattsburgh New York (about an hour from Montreal) and driving over the border.

Driving over the border into Canada will not require a test prior to entry. Just proof of vaccination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Driving over the border into Canada will not require a test prior to entry. Just proof of vaccination.

my bad apparently you do need a test to drive into Canada.  apologies for the confusion but its very confusing lol.  wish these folks would just get together and make it uniform what is required.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kdr69 said:

my bad apparently you do need a test to drive into Canada.  apologies for the confusion but its very confusing lol.  wish these folks would just get together and make it uniform what is required.

It's the other way around.

If you drive to the U.S. you don't need an antigen test.

But you do need an antigen test to board a cruise, so doesn't really help out cruisers.

Although I guess if you can find a cheap/free antigen test option in the states it might be helpful instead of paying for it in Canada.

• Like 1