Can I do my PCR test in Canada for Carnival Cruise?

kwcruise

1 hour ago, kellk said:

The other option for the PCT testing required for Canadians returning to Canada post cruise that I haven't seen mentioned here is to have the testing done at one of your ports of call that qualifies by being 72 hours or less from the scheduled flight time of your direct flight to Canada.  This is indeed what I have been investigating for a cruise from LA to Mexico in November.  Currently I have testing set up in both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta (as our itinerary was just this week reversed; I'll be canceling one of them soon).  Admittedly this is not optimal but was needed in our case as our flight time to Canada on the date of disembarkation in LA is fairly early and won't allow us to have the testing in time at the airport (LAX).

3 minutes ago, kwcruise said:

What a great idea! I've just done a search for our last cruise port and this is a definite option. Thanks so much!

As scheduled port stops are being dropped with some frequency, and as movement within the ports is sometimes restricted, just make sure that you have a fallback plan in the event that you don't make it to the test facility. Needless to say, be careful with the 72 hour limit, and make sure that the facility can provide the test results before the ship's scheduled departure time. Otherwise, it sounds like a viable option for those stopping at ports with quick PCR/NAAT testing on the last couple of days of the cruise. 👍

• Like 1

I would be careful of the option of testing in Mexico to use that as your 72H test of flying back from US. I know of cases it was deemed as unacceptable and people had to retest in the US as that was the last point of departure before coming back to Canada.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bx561 said:

I would be careful of the option of testing in Mexico to use that as your 72H test of flying back from US. I know of cases it was deemed as unacceptable and people had to retest in the US as that was the last point of departure before coming back to Canada.  

That's interesting information, but doesn't seem to agree with the information provided on the website:

When and where to get a negative pre-entry test result

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a molecular test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada.

Flying from India or Morocco

Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test result or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days that includes:

• If you have a connecting flight:
    • the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
    • you may need to schedule the test in your transit city

If you're arriving by car, bus, boat, ferry or train from the United States, you must take a molecular test in the United States within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.

While those arriving by car, bus, boat, ferry or train must take their test in the US, there is no similar stated requirement for those flying. Nevertheless, you make an excellent point and I would want to clarify the issue before considering this approach.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bx561 said:

DW had a PCR test in Mexico and used that test to fly to Canada via the US with no issues.  I believe the issue is if your stop in the US is longer than just a layover.  The same test was submitted for both legs and accepted.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kwcruise said:

What a great idea! I've just done a search for our last cruise port and this is a definite option. Thanks so much!

PCR tests are a little cheaper here in Mexico.  DW had hers done with results in an hour for $145 CDN.  But I suppose still cheaper, more convenient and less stressful than trying to get one at the airport.   

Edited by Magicat
Changed to English from Gibberish
  • Like 2