Checking for lower cruise prices - and asking for change/refund

I've started checking the cost of our cruise via a mock booking on the RCI site.  On our last cruise (2017) - I used *****, which was great.  I've signed up for the watch on CruiseWatch - but I'm also checking myself every day or two.  In 2017, we ended up saving over $500. 

My question is - when people check for lower prices - are you looking just at the Cruise Fare - or do you also call to ask if there's changes in other discounts?  For example, when we booked we had the discounts for 30% off, Seniors NRD, and Kicker NRD.  Today - they also have a Flash Sale for an additional $75 off.  In 2017 - I only called to ask for an adjustment if the actual Cruise Fare changed. I never saw any savings (like the 30% they have now).  Do you call for any lower amount in the savings - or just if the Cruise Fare itself goes down? 

You have to factor in the current promotions. If you are asking for a price reduction, it's basically a reprice at the current cruise fare rates and with the current promotions. Effectively you want to look at the bottom line pricing on a like-for-like cabin (same category, section of the ship, number of passengers, refundable/nonrefundable deposit rate).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I called RCI for my current cruise , after final payment, and had close to $1700 OBC.

You got OBC? Is your cruise less than 30 days? We repriced after final payment a few days ago but were only given refund because of the new 30 day final payment policy. We were 39 days out at the time. Would have preferred the OBC.

I called on Oct 9th because I was hearing talk on CC that prices had dropped for my Thanksgiving cruise on HOTS. I had already paid in full but they moved final payment to Oct 12th. They agreed to give me a $1400 refund!!! I think if the final payment date had passed they would have offered OBC. I got lucky!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We called our TA when I heard that Royal was offering solo travelers a hefty discount as we have 2 solo travelers in our group.  Every room ended up getting a discount, which was given as OBC.

Of course, now Royal's completely mucked that up by changing our cruise to a 6-day and taking all my OBC.

2 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We called our TA when I heard that Royal was offering solo travelers a hefty discount as we have 2 solo travelers in our group.  Every room ended up getting a discount, which was given as OBC.

Of course, now Royal's completely mucked that up by changing our cruise to a 6-day and taking all my OBC.

Are they still offering the solo deals? All sailings or only certain ones?

19 hours ago, GKMCruising said:

Are they still offering the solo deals? All sailings or only certain ones?

It was over a month ago so I doubt it. Plus, they never over the same deal on all sailings across the board. The only way to know is to make a mock booking.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:41 AM, moonltnite said:

I've started checking the cost of our cruise via a mock booking on the RCI site.  On our last cruise (2017) - I used *****, which was great.  I've signed up for the watch on CruiseWatch - but I'm also checking myself every day or two.  In 2017, we ended up saving over $500. 

My question is - when people check for lower prices - are you looking just at the Cruise Fare - or do you also call to ask if there's changes in other discounts?  For example, when we booked we had the discounts for 30% off, Seniors NRD, and Kicker NRD.  Today - they also have a Flash Sale for an additional $75 off.  In 2017 - I only called to ask for an adjustment if the actual Cruise Fare changed. I never saw any savings (like the 30% they have now).  Do you call for any lower amount in the savings - or just if the Cruise Fare itself goes down? 

When you call the cruise line, the representative will compute the new booking for you and then compare the original booking with the current promotions.  They don’t just adjust the cruise fare.  Everything is completely recomputed, including onboard credits you could possibly lose.  At least that’s what I have always experienced.