No, no, yes. Jeepers.

albingirl

I have several cruises booked.  However, I booked a mariner special, whatever that is.  I've lost 2 Personal Cruise Consultants and now have a third.  So, since I booked this cruise in December in what seems the dark ages ago, I was told I could not add drink package etc., even for extra money, since I booked under a "special".  So, today, I called again and without involving this PCC, who I hardly know, and was able to secure a have it all package for extra money.   That's all I wanted in the first place, nothing extra.  My husband is having a special birthday and wanted this special.  Why is this so hard? 

• Like 1

The customer service experience seems to be improving.   I usually start a conversation remarking how difficult it must be for everyone working remotely.  That casual remark seems to encourage the reps to reach out to others for a definite answer.  

• Like 5

Check again on the ships once you board, the drink packages were on offer with the upsell brigade roaming the restaurants and lounges.  

Not to be critical, as these are challenging times, but customer service is hit or miss. I'd trust cruise critic folks more than 75% of the CSA's I've randomly gotten.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The customer service experience seems to be improving.   I usually start a conversation remarking how difficult it must be for everyone working remotely.  That casual remark seems to encourage the reps to reach out to others for a definite answer.  

What?  They’ve been working remotely for several years.  While it’s not for me, most people I work “with” absolutely love working remotely.  I don’t understand this comment at all.

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Check again on the ships once you board, the drink packages were on offer with the upsell brigade roaming the restaurants and lounges.  

Not to be critical, as these are challenging times, but customer service is hit or miss. I'd trust cruise critic folks more than 75% of the CSA's I've randomly gotten.

True that.

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

What?  They’ve been working remotely for several years.  While it’s not for me, most people I work “with” absolutely love working remotely.  I don’t understand this comment at all.

Most people,  not only at HAL, have told me they miss the social interaction and the learning experience they have from more experienced reps.  Not everyone enjoys working from home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can only imagine how hard it must be for the people answering the phones. All the changes, the different rules for different ships sailing different itineraries it must be awfully difficult to keep  it all straight. Then of course what they knew yesterday, changes today. Cut them some slack!

These are difficult times for travelers and travel reps. A little kindness, patience and understanding go a long way.

That said, I've found that HAL customer service reps (along with their website), have always left  a lot to be desired.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I have several cruises booked.  However, I booked a mariner special, whatever that is.  I've lost 2 Personal Cruise Consultants and now have a third.  So, since I booked this cruise in December in what seems the dark ages ago, I was told I could not add drink package etc., even for extra money, since I booked under a "special".  So, today, I called again and without involving this PCC, who I hardly know, and was able to secure a have it all package for extra money.   That's all I wanted in the first place, nothing extra.  My husband is having a special birthday and wanted this special.  Why is this so hard? 

We also have a cruise booked with a "special" fare.   We plan on buying beverage packages and internet separately as we will come out way in front of the all inclusive normal fare.

I am interested to know if you had to re-fare at the current rate to get the package, or did you just get charged a daily amount to cover it all, added on to your discounted fare?

19 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I can only imagine how hard it must be for the people answering the phones. All the changes, the different rules for different ships sailing different itineraries it must be awfully difficult to keep  it all straight. Then of course what they knew yesterday, changes today. Cut them some slack!

These are difficult times for travelers and travel reps. A little kindness, patience and understanding go a long way.

That said, I've found that HAL customer service reps (along with their website), have always left  a lot to be desired.

Anyone still in the workforce has dealt with a lot.  I’ve seen things in the last 2 years happen that I never saw in the 35 years prior.  It’s not just travel that has dealt with a lot.  No one I know is being cut a break. You have to deal with the cards dealt or 6 people behind you will.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thistledoo said:

We also have a cruise booked with a "special" fare.   We plan on buying beverage packages and internet separately as we will come out way in front of the all inclusive normal fare.

I am interested to know if you had to re-fare at the current rate to get the package, or did you just get c \harged a daily amount to cover it all, added on to your discounted fare?

I was originally told that I would have to refare, and then it didn't seem to matter, since the price I paid was the same price that you would pay today for the same cabin.  It made no sense.  But, to be clear, I am always very nice to any agent I speak to.  Always.  We got charged a daily amount to our original fare, which was never that discounted to begin with.  Water under the bridge, so to speak.  

• Like 2