UDP - 1st time Royal cruiser

kenns

Hi All, 

I know there are several threads on these items but couldn’t find a recent one for new Royal cruises. I’ve only sailed NCL and always had the beverage package, any time / freestyle dining and the 3 night dining package as part of their standard offering. My wife and I are heading on our first Royal cruise in April on the Wonder. 

UDP / Dining 101

- I know the dining room is closed on embarkation day for lunch on Royal (difference from NCL)

- since I have the UDP, can I go to any speciality restaurant on embarkation day? If so, do I need a reservation? Or do we just show up?

-  if no, I suspect the other options would be windjammer, park cafe or cafe promenade?

- I understand that Royal automatically makes a reservation for me on night 1 or night 2, but what restaurant do they pick? Can I change this on the app or only once onboard?

- should I make dining reservations for speciality dining on the cruise planner or on the app? I’m sure you can change on the app if things change 
- the UDP includes breakfast, lunch  and dinner, right? I know it’s $20 for playmakers but what about Johnny Rockets?

- is the MDR open for lunch on sea days?
- is the MDR open for lunch on port days?

sorry for 20 questions, I’m just very used to

NCL where you can literally just show up to the MDR

we have the deluxe beverage package too, I suspect that not too many drinks are over the $13 per drink limit? 

21 minutes ago, kenns said:

UDP / Dining 101

- I know the dining room is closed on embarkation day for lunch on Royal (difference from NCL)

- since I have the UDP, can I go to any speciality restaurant on embarkation day? If so, do I need a reservation? Or do we just show up?

There is generally only one specialty restaurant open on embarkation day. I haven't used UDP post covid so YMMV but in the past you could go to whichever one was open or Johnny Rockets

-  if no, I suspect the other options would be windjammer, park cafe or cafe promenade?

That is correct

- I understand that Royal automatically makes a reservation for me on night 1 or night 2, but what restaurant do they pick? Can I change this on the app or only once onboard?

You can generally change by going to the restaurant that you want  and asking them to change it for you. I haven't used the app before so not sure how that will work.

21 minutes ago, kenns said:

- should I make dining reservations for speciality dining on the cruise planner or on the app? I’m sure you can change on the app if things change 

I have not used the app to make reservations, I always just go to the restaurant to make them.
- the UDP includes breakfast, lunch  and dinner, right? I know it’s $20 for playmakers but what about Johnny Rockets? 

Breakfast is not included in UDP, Lunch is included on sea days, Dinner on all nights.

we have the deluxe beverage package too, I suspect that not too many drinks are over the $13 per drink limit? 

3 hours ago, kenns said:

Hi All, 

I know there are several threads on these items but couldn’t find a recent one for new Royal cruises. I’ve only sailed NCL and always had the beverage package, any time / freestyle dining and the 3 night dining package as part of their standard offering. My wife and I are heading on our first Royal cruise in April on the Wonder. 

UDP / Dining 101

Any specialty restaurant that is open on boarding day will welcome you and your UDP.  It is unknown what the situation will be next April.  Right now, you make reservations once you are on board.

Yes, to WJ, Park Cafe and Cafe Promenade.  Of those, Park Cafe is the best choice.

You can change the restaurant and time once you are on board.

You cannot make reservations before your cruise when you have the UDP.  You must wait until you are on board.

No specialty restaurants are open for breakfast. On the Wonder, anyone can have breakfast in Johnny Rockets for free.

MDR is not open for lunch on port days.

Your assumption about the cost of drinks is correct.

🙂