Covid Testing Requirements for Cruising

tert333

Air Canada announced today a partnership with Switchhealth in regards to covid testing, including a home test option.    This sounded like a great option as you can schedule the test from your own home.

After doing a bit of research on both the princess and celebrity websites, they both state that if you are doing a home test, the test has to be FDA approved under a EUA.   In the case of Switchhealth, they use either SD Biosensor or Abbott Panbio, both of which, while being approved by Health Canada,  are not FDA approved.  So if you opt for that, you may have an issue as it does not fulfill the current rules by Celebrity and Princess.

Neither cruiseline state that you have to have an FDA approved test if it is administered by a third party(eg. Pharmacy). However, logically, you would think they would not accept any unapproved test as it may not be reliable.    I have not found any antigen tests administered in Canada that have the FDA EUA approval.   So, I am torn on whether I should go to a place like Costco to get the test done there and then hope that the cruiseline accepts the test when I get to the dock.   Alternatively, I just wait until I get to the US and take the test there.     I was thinking the home test would be the best option, but I have ruled it out as it is clear it is not accepted, if it is not FDA approved.

If there is one thing this pandemic has taught me,it is not just to accept things as they are(being a mixed-vaxxer).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've not read about a single Celebrity passenger who has been tested in Canada being refused boarding because their test was not FDA approved. On the other hand, the antigen test that Switch Health is offering is a bit overpriced, and I don't imagine that it will develop much of a following other than with those whose travel arrangements make visiting a SDM unworkable.

For those returning to Canada whose cruise lines don't offer a free PCR test, or who decide to extend their vacation post-cruise, the PCR test is reasonably priced and there is no issue with Canada accepting the results. I suspect this will end up being a popular option to finding a test facility in the US.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've not read about a single Celebrity passenger who has been tested in Canada being refused boarding because their test was not FDA approved. On the other hand, the antigen test that Switch Health is offering is a bit overpriced, and I don't imagine that it will develop much of a following other than with those whose travel arrangements make visiting a SDM unworkable.

For those returning to Canada whose cruise lines don't offer a free PCR test, or who decide to extend their vacation post-cruise, the PCR test is reasonably priced and there is no issue with Canada accepting the results. I suspect this will end up being a popular option to finding a test facility in the US.

Seems like Switch Health has different prices for Aeroplan member.

The Rapid Antigen test is $39 +earn 500 Aeroplan points per test and the RT-PCR test as $129 +earn 1000 Aeroplan points per test. 

The 2 pack Rapid test kit is $79 +earn 500 Aeroplan points per kit and the RT-LAMP Test Kit is $149 +earn 500 points per kit. 

The self test PCR kit does not seem practical as it needs to be returned to the lab for processing.  The RT-Lamp kit test is acceptable for returning to Canada.

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/

https://switchhealth.ca/en/travel/

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Edited by cruiseamm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I agree that the test to go back to Canada will be popular.   I would not hesitate in using RT-LAMP test to get back to Canada.

I think it is risky to use the antigen self test as the cruiselines have specifically said that the self test has to be FDA approved.   As they are silent on antigen tests that are performed at a facility, and since we have not heard of any Canadians that have been turned away, I think the risk is much lower.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I agree that the test to go back to Canada will be popular.   I would not hesitate in using RT-LAMP test to get back to Canada.

I think it is risky to use the antigen self test as the cruiselines have specifically said that the self test has to be FDA approved.   As they are silent on antigen tests that are performed at a facility, and since we have not heard of any Canadians that have been turned away, I think the risk is much lower.

Agreed, in all things related to cruising these days, it's best not to take unnecessary chances. Skip the antigen self test unless there are no other viable options.

5 hours ago, tert333 said:

Spent a bit of time reading the websites, directions. etc.

I am confused because Air Canada says that the online proctored antigen test is good for international travel.

But then you are correct that it doesn't say it's FDA approved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Spent a bit of time reading the websites, directions. etc.

I am confused because Air Canada says that the online proctored antigen test is good for international travel.

But then you are correct that it doesn't say it's FDA approved.

I contacted switchhealth and they did not confirm whether it is FDA compliant or not.  They told me they  use BD Bonsensor and Abbott Panbio.  When I went on the FDA site for approved tests, they did not show up.  So while it may be accepted for international travel to some countries, I am not sure I want to take that chance until I see further clarification to go to the US.

Maybe we will see further clarification over the next few days.

10 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I contacted switchhealth and they did not confirm whether it is FDA compliant or not.  They told me they  use BD Bonsensor and Abbott Panbio.  When I went on the FDA site for approved tests, they did not show up.  So while it may be accepted for international travel to some countries, I am not sure I want to take that chance until I see further clarification to go to the US.

Maybe we will see further clarification over the next few days.

For further clarification below is the rules as per the CDC website around selftests. The rules around self tests are pretty clear:

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

Some countries may restrict importation of tests that are not authorized or registered there. If you are considering bringing a U.S.-authorized test with you for use outside of the United States, contact authorities at your destination for information before you travel.

Also have included the link:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127081

4 hours ago, tert333 said:

For further clarification below is the rules as per the CDC website around selftests. The rules around self tests are pretty clear:

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.

Some countries may restrict importation of tests that are not authorized or registered there. If you are considering bringing a U.S.-authorized test with you for use outside of the United States, contact authorities at your destination for information before you travel.

Also have included the link:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127081

I emailed the company and got the following response:

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Switch Health.

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

Please Always check with your airline for what tests are appropriate for your travel needs. We are unable to offer refunds once an order for a Home Collection Kit has been placed, as Switch Health Collection or Test Kits are non-refundable.

Best regards,

Switch Health

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Good Day,

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

Please Always check with your airline for what tests are appropriate for your travel needs. We are unable to offer refunds once an order for a Home Collection Kit has been placed, as Switch Health Collection or Test Kits are non-refundable.

Best regards,

Switch Health

Thanks for taking the time to enquire and for posting the reply. Very happy to see the authorizations.

• Like 1

I just booked PharmaSave in Waterloo/St Jacobs for a RT-PCR test for $100, then there will be a 10% discount from Air Canada (so $90).  This is the cheapest I've found yet.  I was originally booked at the London Travel Clinic for $180.  PharmaSave says they get the results in about 24 -30 hours.  I need this for a Bermuda Travel Authorizations (new requirement for Bermuda).  This information was originally found on the Air Canada website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Good Day,

Best regards,

Switch Health

That is good to hear.   From what I can see, Lucira Check it is the RT-LAMP product they are selling for $149.   So I would think that you could use that product for cruising and for entrance to the us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hubbards said:

I just booked PharmaSave in Waterloo/St Jacobs for a RT-PCR test for $100, then there will be a 10% discount from Air Canada (so $90).  This is the cheapest I've found yet.  I was originally booked at the London Travel Clinic for $180.  PharmaSave says they get the results in about 24 -30 hours.  I need this for a Bermuda Travel Authorizations (new requirement for Bermuda).  This information was originally found on the Air Canada website.

Is this for a cruise or land vacation in Bermuda? I only ask because for some islands requiring travel authorizations, the requirement is waived for cruise passengers. I don't know if that is the case for Bermuda, but it would be worth checking out.

• Like 1

While the antigen test to get to US are easily/cheaply available this testing would be great for your return/re-entry into Canada (especially if you are on a cruiseline that is not offering the PCR test onboard)

Hello. We are leaving on the Celebrity Silhouette from FLL on Dec 3rd. We are flying Air Canada into FLL from Ottawa/Montreal/FLL on the morning of Dec 2nd. We are planning on getting a Rapid Antigen Test at SDM late afternoon on Dec 1st. I asked the pharmacist at our local SDM if they provide them there, which they do. The results are available within 15 mins, and will be provided in written form (I.e. not electronic) with the date/time of the test,  name and address of the pharmacy, the pharmacist who administered that test. Will this document satisfy both the Covid testing US customs pre-clearance in Montreal, as well as the the Celebrity Covid testing requirement? Do we need to upload the results anywhere beforehand. 
Thank you

Your SDM written results will meet the requirements for both your flight and for your cruise. Don't forget that you will also require your proof of vaccination for the YOW-YUL leg.

I suggest that you go to the AC pages to read up on their specific requirements. Here's a good starting place:  https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19/document-validation.html#/

• Like 1

Perfect. Thanks.
From what I can ascertain then,  I will be able to upload my Ontario proof of Vaccination, and Negative test results (I'm assuming that I will need to take a photo of the results document) when I check in for my flights. As for the Pre-clearance for US Customs in Montreal, can I upload my test results beforehand (do they have a website/app?), or will I just show my original paper doc provided by SDM?
Thanks again

11 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Perfect. Thanks.
From what I can ascertain then,  I will be able to upload my Ontario proof of Vaccination, and Negative test results (I'm assuming that I will need to take a photo of the results document) when I check in for my flights. As for the Pre-clearance for US Customs in Montreal, can I upload my test results beforehand (do they have a website/app?), or will I just show my original paper doc provided by SDM?
Thanks again

The US CDC requires an Attestation form for all passengers, attesting to the fact that you've been tested. The form is on the AC website, but I can't seem to find it today. However, here's a copy directly from the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Fillable-Attestation-English-p.pdf

I believe that AC will want to see the form, or might even have you upload a copy during check in. I don't know whether you will have to show it during pre-clearance, with or without the SDM document, so perhaps someone else who has gone through the process recently could chime in.

Hello again.

Found the link to a similar (not fillable electronically) form on the AC site on the Entry Requirements page. You need to enter your dates, departure/arrival airports, and it shows you what docs you need.
Travel Ready hub | Air Canada

ATTACHMENT A: PASSENGER DISCLOSURE AND ATTESTATION TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Print-only) (cdc.gov)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Perfect. Thanks.
Thanks again

I just want to Shoppers Drug Mart this morning and got the $40 Rapid Antigen Test (used the same test for our Air Canada flights and Celebrity Equinox Cruise in August and all was well) and then check in for my Air Canada flight from Edmonton to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.  We get on the Celebrity Equinox on Friday.  In August, when I checked in for my flights, in the check in process it asked me to upload my test results.  Today it did not ask me during check in.  After I was done check in, I went to manage my booking on the website and there was a health documents section, and it let me upload my test results.  Relatively quickly I got emails confirming our tests had been approved.

We don't need to be vaccinated yet (we are though), so there was no option to upload that information, but it appears it will be similar as our email already mentioned testing/vaccination confirmation.

9 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

I just want to Shoppers Drug Mart this morning and got the $40 Rapid Antigen Test (used the same test for our Air Canada flights and Celebrity Equinox Cruise in August and all was well) and then check in for my Air Canada flight from Edmonton to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.  We get on the Celebrity Equinox on Friday.  In August, when I checked in for my flights, in the check in process it asked me to upload my test results.  Today it did not ask me during check in.  After I was done check in, I went to manage my booking on the website and there was a health documents section, and it let me upload my test results.  Relatively quickly I got emails confirming our tests had been approved.

We don't need to be vaccinated yet (we are though), so there was no option to upload that information, but it appears it will be similar as our email already mentioned testing/vaccination confirmation.

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

As it has come up in a few different threads, do US CBP officials want to see the CDC Attestation document during pre-clearance, or do they leave that to the airline to deal with?

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As it has come up in a few different threads, do US CBP officials want to see the CDC Attestation document during pre-clearance, or do they leave that to the airline to deal with?

Customs does not check the form.  In August, the Air Canada check in lady in Edmonton checked our attestation form and our negative test result (even though we had the pre-approval email, which says the approval is tied to your boarding pass).  She gave us the attestation form back at that point.  When we connected in Toronto airport, there was a table set up before security with a guy that took your attestation forms (I believe he confirmed the name based on our passport).

Edited by AlbertaCruisers