Refund if you disagree with COVID protocols?

Lou33

OK.  It sounds from that list like the real lesson here others can learn from your experience is to get travel insurance. 

The reason people are criticizing is your insistence that Royal can tell the islands how many tours should be allowed, and what type, and magically produce all the local vendors needed to make that happen. In places with severe restrictions, they might be lucky to port at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

OK.  It sounds from that list like the real lesson here others can learn from your experience is to get travel insurance. 

The reason people are criticizing is your insistence that Royal can tell the islands how many tours should be allowed, and what type, and magically produce all the local vendors needed to make that happen. In places with severe restrictions, they might be lucky to port at all.

Travel insurance covers none of the above, as I’m sure you are aware.  

I have not been “insistent” on anything other than the lack of supply with adequate capacity on the beach-only visits on a Caribbean island cruise. Those should be in ample supply. They require no expertise and therefore Royal should be able to offer more of the simplest and cheapest ride to a beach.
What they DO have in ample supply, and which did not sell out, are $$$ tours that equate to $800 for a family of 4 for 3-/12 hours.  There are loads oF THOSE.  At least 10 or fifteen for each island.  The kind involving zip lining, horseback riding,  catamarans, segways, lobster lunches and turtles. Why are those bubble excursions and vendors not in short supply?  But I was to assume they can’t get more drivers to drive small groups to a beach and back? Nope.  Not buying it. 

The real lesson here is that some people, no matter what the circumstance is, would rather shout than listen.  They will inspect someone else’s misfortune and bend it to prove an invalid point so they can look down rather than lift up.  There was no other lesson to be learned here. 

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants

59 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Travel insurance covers none of the above, as I’m sure you are aware.  

I have not been “insistent” on anything other than the lack of supply with adequate capacity on the beach-only visits on a Caribbean island cruise. Those should be in ample supply. They require no expertise and therefore Royal should be able to offer more of the simplest and cheapest ride to a beach.
What they DO have in ample supply, and which did not sell out, are $$$ tours that equate to $800 for a family of 4 for 3-/12 hours.  There are loads oF THOSE.  At least 10 or fifteen for each island.  The kind involving zip lining, horseback riding,  catamarans, segways, lobster lunches and turtles. Why are those bubble excursions and vendors not in short supply?  But I was to assume they can’t get more drivers to drive small groups to a beach and back? Nope.  Not buying it. 

The real lesson here is that some people, no matter what the circumstance is, would rather shout than listen.  They will inspect someone else’s misfortune and bend it to prove an invalid point so they can look down rather than lift up.  There was no other lesson to be learned here. 

Take the criticism and griping with a grain of salt.  The question that you should be asking is what would they do if they were faced with the dame situation.

I have an issue in the way they handle FCCs during these terrible times.  I booked 4 cabin in 2019 for sailing on Harmony Easter '20.  As we all know, all sailings were cancelled due to the C19 infections. We did not know how bad it was going to get or vaccine requirements and used the FCCs and replaced it with  an Anthem Easter '21.   This sail was also scheduled to be cancelled.  Called my TA and asked for advice and was told to L&S to Anthem Easter '22.  

The crux of the problem, is that I have 3 children in 3 of the cabins and they along with their parents do not want them to be  vaccinated.   I was advised by the Oasis Loyalty Ambassador to contact Royal Guest Experience Unit.  I did and asked for options/advice and what I got was some nebulous response that basically does nothing.  The response that I received and followed up for clarification was "All applied certificates will be held on the booking that they have been applied to and are not applicable to be transferred or refunded."  

My mistake, was not requesting a refund when Harmony was cancelled, but who knew how bad it was going to get.

The problem that I have is that the FCCs have an expiration date and if RCL will not allow sailing for those that are not vaxxed, then the  FCCs are a waste as they cannot be used until the pandemic is over and things return to normal.  Who knows when that will be.

Ps.  In addition to the moneys invested in the 4 cabins, I have excess FCCs totaling $2k+ and they have stipulation of "booked by April '22 and sail by December '22."   Originally, they stipulated sail by September '22.  

On 11/6/2021 at 11:48 AM, LGW59 said:

If you are not looking to take advice from a stranger who does not know you or your family, why the heck are you posting here?!

@Chauncey Picklepantswas never seeking advice from anybody.  His posts have been informative.  I started this thread by asking the question if you can get a refund from RCI.  Some answered absolutely not, they give FCC only.  But then he answered "yes you can" because he was living proof.  Nothing wrong with that.    

On 11/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, DMWT Cruiser said:

Respectfully, I disagree with the bolded portion of your assertion.

Ports that are open for cruise passengers (most, if not all require cruise visitors to be vaccinated, some require visitors be on ship excursion):

Amber Cove, Dominican Republic

Anguilla

Antigua

Aruba

Belize City, Belize

Bimini, Bahamas

Bonaire

Bridgetown, Barbados

Cartagena, Colombia

Castaway Cay, Bahamas

Castries, St. Lucia

Colon, Panama

Costa Maya, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

Curacao

Dominica

Falmouth, Jamaica

Freeport, Bahamas

French Guiana

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Grenada

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Harvest Caye, Belize

Jost Van Dyke, British Virgin Islands

La Romana, Dominican Republic

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Nassau, Bahamas

Nevis

Ocean Cay Marine Reserve, Bahamas

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Port of Spain, Trinidad

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Princess Cay, Bahamas

Progreso, Mexico

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Roatan, Honduras

Samana and Cayo Levantado, Dominican Republic

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

St. Barts

St. Kitts

St. Maarten

St. Martin

St. Vincent, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands

Ports that are closed to cruise visitors:

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

Guadeloupe

Labadee, Haiti

Martinique

Montserrat

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands

I'd hardly say that "Caribbean ports are for the most part in lock down".  The majority of Caribbean ports allow vaccinated visitors to explore freely.

I'm happy for you that you were able to receive satisfaction from RCL when you believed the cruise experience would not meet your expectations. 

The key, IMO, to enjoying cruise travel during this season is flexibility.  Everyone who doesn't have their head buried in the sand knows that cruise travel (like many aspects of life) is NOT back to normal.  There are protocols and restrictions imposed by cruise lines and governments that some may find disagreeable.  Those who are unwilling/unable to be flexible should simply not book a cruise at this particular time.  That avoids the matter of unmet expectations.

Let me make a correction, I was in error concerning the US Virgin Islands.

These ports are NOT closed but are actually open to cruise visitors:

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands

That makes only six (6) ports in the Caribbean that are not welcoming cruise visitors (and one of those countries, Haiti, has its own issues apart from COVID).  Grand Turk will reportedly re-open to cruise ships in a few weeks.  As I noted in my original post, some that are open do have restrictions (such as vaccination status and/or a requirement that the cruise passenger be on an approved excursion).

So the Caribbean is most definitely open for cruising!  Just be aware of the potential compromises that may be involved with cruise travel to a few of the destinations noted.

If there are other errors or updates to the list of open/closed Caribbean ports, feel free to post them as it may assist others who are deciding whether to book a new cruise and/or keep an existing booking.

1 hour ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

This post was unnecessary and unrelated to this thread which is specific to “Refunds due to Covid protocols.” Those who would be affected by the gist of THIS thread already are aware of the where and what.  

Perhaps make your own post where you can shed all this copy and paste knowledge for the cruising community to admire and applaud.  Apparently you need the attention, 

Thank you for your opinion.  However, one poster in this thread made the following claims which are false, misleading, or unsupported by actual facts:

• Cruise lines are advertising that cruising is back when it isn't. (Post #29)
  • RCL has been misrepresenting (?). (Post #29)
  • Caribbean cruising is not back, far from it.  (Post #34)
  • Caribbean ports are for the most part in lock down.  (Post #34)

Were those statements "necessary and related to this thread?"  If so, my posts have pointed out verifiable facts which contradict those claims.  So while you might opine that my post was "unnecessary and unrelated to this thread", others who read this thread and might mistakenly rely upon false and misleading assertions should be presented with actual facts and decide for themselves.  As I mentioned in one of my posts, some who read this thread may be considering whether to book a new cruise and/or cancel an existing booking.  Before they make any decision upon the assertions of what appears to be the one single poster who has reported success with a refund (rather than FCC), they should be aware that there are facts which are contradictory to those assertions.

False narratives should not go unchallenged.  I believe that I have presented information respectfully.  You clearly disagree with my freedom to do so.  Unlike those who support "cancel culture", I still believe that people can agree to disagree and do so respectfully and with courtesy.,

Hope your refund from RCL brings closure and satisfaction to you.  🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

All the above are factual and directly relate to the protocols that are inhibiting shore excursions, which was a refundable reason.  
1. Mocking someone’s devotion and 2. copying and pasting false information about island ports being closed/open only to correct yourself -  helps no one. 

The information I posted about what ports are open/closed to cruising is based upon my best available information.  I acknowledged I was mistaken about US Virgin Islands.  I have also invited correction if I have made other errors.  As a human, I do err from time to time.

Not to be disagreeable, but you stated that "Ports in the Caribbean are for the most part in lockdown".  Do you have actual facts that support that assertion?  From my information and research, that does not appear to be the case.  Why not assist in providing information to others by pointing out the specific ports that you know to be closed and/or those that limit cruise visitors to bubble excursions.  Wouldn't that be more helpful to readers who are concerned about the impact of protocols and destination restrictions upon their cruise travel instead of merely accusing RCL of misleading cruise travelers??

I apologized previously (in a post that was deleted due to a scriptural reference) if I have personally offended you as this topic appears to be a matter of sensitivity for you.  Your devotion is not being mocked, however iron sharpens iron.  I wonder if you truly appreciate the nature of some of the comments directed towards others that you have posted.  Is the "fruit" that appears in those posts reflective of who you are and the One you serve?