Interesting New Itinerary

kelmac

My wife is a school teacher and we always cruise during her spring break week. Pretty much we are forced into 7 -- 9 day cruises for that time period. We just booked the Westerdam, March 25th (2007), out of Ft Lauderdale. Pretty unique 7 day cruise -- includes all day at HMC, Aruba, Curacao, and three at sea days. We have been to the Caribbean 11 times, but have never stopped in Aruba or Curacao, so this is ideal for us. The Westerdam must be a pretty speedy ship to make this run? Glad to see HAL is taking some chances with new itineraries!:)

What do you think?

Enjoy!

Kel

<snip> The Westerdam must be a pretty speedy ship to make this run? Glad to see HAL is taking some chances with new itineraries!:)

What do you think?

Enjoy!

Kel

The Westerdam "flies". According to the "info channel" there were times during our Dec 4th cruise that we were consistantly making 26 knots!

Love those Azipods!

That is a very nice itinerary.

The newer ships have been built for speed.

We were on the Noordam in Boston yesterday and one of the HAL reps mentioned that one of their ships would be doing a 7 night roundtrip itinerary out of Fort Lauderdale that stopped in Aruba and Curaçao. Since I have often told people who wanted 7 night cruises out of Florida that went deeper into the Caribbean, that it just wasn't feasible, I am pleased to see that HAL is going to prove me wrong. I think that this should not only prove very popular but ought to cause other lines to follow their example. There are alot of folks who would like to sail to Aruba and Curaçao without having to fly to San Juan, and who don't have ten or eleven days to spend on a cruise that goes there from Florida. Kudos to HAL. May others follow their example. We are on the Jewel of the Seas 12 night repositioning out of Boston next October, and one of its biggest selling points is that it enables folks to go to those two islands without having to fly to San Juan. :)

I really enjoy both Curacao and Aruba!! Both are snorkeler's paradises, and Curacao has a downtown that reminds one of Amsterdam! For me, 3 days at sea are wonderful also, just down time to read that book you have just been dying to get to while tanning on the Lido deck!

I liked that itinerary as well, although our official school calendar is not out yet I am going to look into that trip. I had wanted to do a partial transit of the Panama Canal but it looks like the 10/11 day trips are not going to work into the schedule. I think my kids will be off the following week 3/31. Thanks for the info!

for posting this info!! We live in south florida so are always hoping for a new itinerary and this one sounds awesome. We are on westerdam in may to alaska, maybe i can talk my husband into booking this one next while we are on board :-)

That sounds like the perfect next trip for DW and me.

We have been wanting a short cruise basically to try HAL out. We didn't really care about ports because we have pretty much been there ,done that in the Carribbean on other lines. This trip would be more of a "ship being the destination" kind of trip.

However, seeing neither of us have been to Aruba or Curacao, and I have heard so many beautiful things about HMC from these boards. This trip could just be what the doctor ordered.

And three days at sea ............... whats not to like about that ???? :)

That spring break week is our normal vacation time as well since we have kids.

I am always saddend at the great longer cruises that we miss being parents but I know that is is worth it and once they are up and out (last one is in high school) that it will be just me and DW and then the sky is the limit for times and durations... and oh yes...balcony suites ..yeah

Where or what is HMC?

Beautiful island with an expansive beach. The entire operation is controled by Holland America. Sun, swim, excursions, live music...,everything you need to enjoy the day. The island is south and east of Nassau.

Enjoy!

Kel

Archived