Cruise in Feb. out of Miami, I have questions

ready2cruzagain

Okay I have read these boards over and over and still confused.  We are set to sail Feb. 29 out of Miami on a 21 day cruise on the Seashore. Both of us are fully vacinated. I am so confused about the Covid test required before hand.  We drive down and it takes us 2 to 3 days to get to Miami. I am trying to figure out how we are to get the test and where?  I have read you can get them at drug stores but how much do they cost? Are they free or do they cost? If we got to Miami the day (morning) before the cruise would that be enough time to go to a drug store and get the test results back? What test should we ask for? 

I see on MSC you still need to wear masks inside. Am I right on this?  Thinking about cancelling and switching to NCL since they do not require masks.

Is the spa open? I am pretty sure I read on MSC site that the spa is open but a reservation is required.  Does that mean that if I buy a pass to the spa for the week that I would have to make a reservation each time I want to go to the thermal suite?

Thanks in advance for help, I am sure I am overthinking all of this but just about ready to cancel cruise AGAIN due to not being able to figure anything out!

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Okay I have read these boards over and over and still confused.  We are set to sail Feb. 29 out of Miami on a 21 day cruise on the Seashore.

God, I hope you aren't sailing on the 29th of February!😉

There's no 29th of February in 2022, since it is not a Leap Year. We are sailing B2B on 2/26, and hope we don't have to come back early to pick you up!😁

I'm assuming we'll see you on the 26th. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

For fully vaccinated, you have 3 choices for test type.  The one that has the fastest turn around (and lowest cost) would be the antigen.  It is a point of care test - meaning it does not have to be sent to a lab - like a rapid strep test done in a doctor’s office. Or a pregnancy test on a stick.  Results are available in 15 minutes.

Any time delay for these would be in getting the results to you in a usable form.

MSC is allowing telemedicine testing.  You order the test kit ahead of time.  You schedule a time to do the test from any location (hotel room would be fine).  You use an app and your phone/ pad/ computer and perform the test while the observer watches through the computer feed.

I have done the at-home test part before.  If you can open a box and a few packets, add some drops of solution, wiggle a swab in your nose and insert it in a cardboard card, you can handle that aspect.

And be able to download an app and follow directions.

After you do your sample, you wait 15 minutes and a second observer comes online.  You check the results and they give you a way to access your documentation.

(I just watched this being done on a YouTube video by a cruiser).

Finding a drug store while out of town and then wondering when you will get your results can be a bit stressful.  The telemedicine option seems to put more control in your hands.  I plan to do it for my January sailing to the Bahamas.

This is not an option for Southern Caribbean sailings, but is okay for Bahamas & Caribbean itineraries.

You do pay for these kits.  I saw a pack of 3 for ~$99.  Order online.

CVS, Walgreen’s… do not charge those with insurance for in-store testing.  Wal-Mart is the location for one of the drug stores.  Some stores only allow booking 2 days in advance.

I used a private lab last month for a pre-cruise test.  $100 for antigen with results that day.  Or $150 for the PCR test (not a requirement by MSC per the website as of today).

Best of luck.  It doesn’t have to be as overwhelming as most of us make it to be; again, it’s something that’s out of our control in some ways - and could possibly derail a vacation at the last moment.  And for probably >99% of us, likely to just be validation of what know.

You have the bonus of time - and the foresight to look into your test options.  Don’t let this test derail your travel plans.

Edited by alohayall
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Okay I have read these boards over and over and still confused.  We are set to sail Feb. 29 out of Miami on a 21 day cruise on the Seashore. Both of us are fully vacinated. I am so confused about the Covid test required before hand.  We drive down and it takes us 2 to 3 days to get to Miami. I am trying to figure out how we are to get the test and where?  I have read you can get them at drug stores but how much do they cost? Are they free or do they cost? If we got to Miami the day (morning) before the cruise would that be enough time to go to a drug store and get the test results back? What test should we ask for? 

I see on MSC you still need to wear masks inside. Am I right on this?  Thinking about cancelling and switching to NCL since they do not require masks.

Is the spa open? I am pretty sure I read on MSC site that the spa is open but a reservation is required.  Does that mean that if I buy a pass to the spa for the week that I would have to make a reservation each time I want to go to the thermal suite?

Thanks in advance for help, I am sure I am overthinking all of this but just about ready to cancel cruise AGAIN due to not being able to figure anything out!

Alohayall gave you a really good response, but I will add a few things...

1) NCL is testing at the pier. This means you won't know if you can get on the ship until you are at the ship. For some, this might be too stressful, for others, maybe not. Just be aware of this. FYI, there is no pre-testing requirement for NCL (since they test at the pier)

2) MSC you wear a mask, but mostly just indoors and in crowded areas. Not sure what level you are sailing, but, for example, in Top Sail (Yacht Club) you don't have to wear a mask. Also, in bars when drinking, or on pool decks. Basically, when walking through the ship, on elevators, shows, etc. It really isn't that bad.

3) CVS and Walgreens will give you a free rapid test with or without insurance. It is quick and easy and you can get this anywhere along your drive. You'll want a rapid test and will get your results online in about an hour.

4) Spa is open. Thermal spa requires no reservation (and is free for Aurea and Yacht Club, otherwise you need to purchase a pass). Other services require a reservation, and are not free, but these are easy to make.

5) Yes, you are overthinking this 🙂 Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

Is MSC not testing at embarkation in the US?   They are here in Europe. 

They are no longer doing that...they did back in August and (maybe?) beginning of Sept.

Only NCL and Disney are testing at the pier in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

God, I hope you aren't sailing on the 29th of February!😉

There's no 29th of February in 2022, since it is not a Leap Year. We are sailing B2B on 2/26, and hope we don't have to come back early to pick you up!😁

I'm assuming we'll see you on the 26th. 

Oh Brudder! I guess I am on the 2/26 cruise! 🤣

Don't even ask me what ports we are going to, I have no idea! I did just glance to see if S. Carib 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, alohayall said:

For fully vaccinated, you have 3 choices for test type.  The one that has the fastest turn around (and lowest cost) would be the antigen.  It is a point of care test - meaning it does not have to be sent to a lab - like a rapid strep test done in a doctor’s office. Or a pregnancy test on a stick.  Results are available in 15 minutes.

Any time delay for these would be in getting the results to you in a usable form.

MSC is allowing telemedicine testing.  You order the test kit ahead of time.  You schedule a time to do the test from any location (hotel room would be fine).  You use an app and your phone/ pad/ computer and perform the test while the observer watches through the computer feed.

I have done the at-home test part before.  If you can open a box and a few packets, add some drops of solution, wiggle a swab in your nose and insert it in a cardboard card, you can handle that aspect.

And be able to download an app and follow directions.

After you do your sample, you wait 15 minutes and a second observer comes online.  You check the results and they give you a way to access your documentation.

(I just watched this being done on a YouTube video by a cruiser).

Finding a drug store while out of town and then wondering when you will get your results can be a bit stressful.  The telemedicine option seems to put more control in your hands.  I plan to do it for my January sailing to the Bahamas.

This is not an option for Southern Caribbean sailings, but is okay for Bahamas & Caribbean itineraries.

You do pay for these kits.  I saw a pack of 3 for ~$99.  Order online.

CVS, Walgreen’s… do not charge those with insurance for in-store testing.  Wal-Mart is the location for one of the drug stores.  Some stores only allow booking 2 days in advance.

I used a private lab last month for a pre-cruise test.  $100 for antigen with results that day.  Or $150 for the PCR test (not a requirement by MSC per the website as of today).

Best of luck.  It doesn’t have to be as overwhelming as most of us make it to be; again, it’s something that’s out of our control in some ways - and could possibly derail a vacation at the last moment.  And for probably >99% of us, likely to just be validation of what know.

You have the bonus of time - and the foresight to look into your test options.  Don’t let this test derail your travel plans.

Thank you! Very helpful

41 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Alohayall gave you a really good response, but I will add a few things...

1) NCL is testing at the pier. This means you won't know if you can get on the ship until you are at the ship. For some, this might be too stressful, for others, maybe not. Just be aware of this. FYI, there is no pre-testing requirement for NCL (since they test at the pier)

2) MSC you wear a mask, but mostly just indoors and in crowded areas. Not sure what level you are sailing, but, for example, in Top Sail (Yacht Club) you don't have to wear a mask. Also, in bars when drinking, or on pool decks. Basically, when walking through the ship, on elevators, shows, etc. It really isn't that bad.

3) CVS and Walgreens will give you a free rapid test with or without insurance. It is quick and easy and you can get this anywhere along your drive. You'll want a rapid test and will get your results online in about an hour.

4) Spa is open. Thermal spa requires no reservation (and is free for Aurea and Yacht Club, otherwise you need to purchase a pass). Other services require a reservation, and are not free, but these are easy to make.

5) Yes, you are overthinking this 🙂 Enjoy your cruise.

Great to hear about the Spa!!!

1 minute ago, ready2cruzagain said:

NCL does not make you wear a mask once on the ship in the US

So, that’s 2 different approaches depending on where you’re cruising.  MSC is testing at embarkation and NCL are enforcing the wearing of masks on European cruises and both are doing neither for US sailings.  European countries are being stricter with cruise protocols than the US it would seem. 

• Like 1

Just adding my 2 cents that the at-home monitored test option worked really for us in our first post-covid cruise a few weeks ago. (On Royal, but their requirements are almost identical to MSC's)

We are heading out of Miami on the Seashore in January 2022 and plan to use the same tests for that cruise as well.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, karmamule said:

Just adding my 2 cents that the at-home monitored test option worked really for us in our first post-covid cruise a few weeks ago. (On Royal, but their requirements are almost identical to MSC's)

We are heading out of Miami on the Seashore in January 2022 and plan to use the same tests for that cruise as well.

Glad to hear this as we are also going to use the monitored home test. 
One question I have is, do we need to schedule an appt time ahead of time or do we just log in and request to start the test? 

Just now, styles27 said:

Glad to hear this as we are also going to use the monitored home test. 
One question I have is, do we need to schedule an appt time ahead of time or do we just log in and request to start the test? 

You can just log in anytime day or night without an appointment. We were SO nervous we logged in around 3am (US east coast time) and someone was helping us out in under a minute!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, karmamule said:

You can just log in anytime day or night without an appointment. We were SO nervous we logged in around 3am (US east coast time) and someone was helping us out in under a minute!

lol I can see us doing the same thing! Thank you!

• Like 1