Short Summit cruise, first S-Class sailing - questions!

Virga

On a whim, we booked a short cruise in Aquaclass on the Summit - it leaves tomorrow.  Our Covid tests are scheduled for this afternoon (with proctored home backups) and we were finally able to check in.  The suitcase is out and I'll start laundry and packing as soon as I get done with work today.  

A few questions, though - we have only sailed with Celebrity a handful of times, and it has been awhile.

1) Do any bars serve 'fancy' cherries?  We aren't so picky that they need to be Luxardo, but an old fashioned deserves a good cherry.  Relatedly, what bars are our best bet for good classic cocktails like an old fashioned or a manhattan? 

2) Is the escargot in Blu the same as the escargot in MDR?  I've heard yes, and I've heard no.  We prefer the 'scampi' style escargot, drowned in butter and garlic.  A cruise we recently took had some... not that... version, with the snails served in a buttery almost cornbready bake.  I think I would seriously be willing to forego Blu for 'real' escargot!

3) I see that 'flip flops' aren't welcome in the dining room.  In my experience, this means you shouldn't be wearing those foam and plastic beach things - nice sandals (even thong style) are usually acceptable.  Is that the case here, or should I plan to pack some extra 'real' shoes? 

4) I believe I've read on here that if your drunk doesn't exceed the premium drunk package limit, you don't get a slip to sign - is that correct?  How do you handle additional tips?  Just bring cash?  Without a folio, it feels a little odd to leave money on a cashless bar - perhaps dollar coins instead?  Would those be difficult for the crew to deal with?

5) This is the most Kareny question on the list...  I just realized that in my haste and stupidity, I booked a cabin with no shade on the balcony, rendering it dangerous to me during the day - I'm half vampire on my mother's side.  Since the ships are sailing very lightly booked... Do you think it would be worth approaching guest services onboard to see about switching to a room with a covered veranda, if we were willing to give up Aquaclass?  Would it be better to call today?  Unfortunately, all other balconies are significantly more expensive than what we paid.  I'm content with our cabin if that's not possible, mostly just disappointed in myself for not doing my research.  

Thanks for any help you can provide!  We're excited - Celebrity doesn't offer enough short cruises for us to sail with them regularly, and most of our prior experiences with the line were when we sailed with a disabled elder.  Our concerns in the past were a totally different variety!

Just now, tompeter said:

Two quick notes....Summit is a M Class ship, not S. In regards to tipping with the drink Pkg., it is certainly not necessary since already included. but if you wish to tip extra, cash is the way to go.   

I did know that, haha, we've only been on S class.  Fumbled it up and can't edit!  My apologies for the error =(

We bartended too long and drink too much to consider the 20% on the drink package enough for us.  I can't in good conscience ask someone to make me an old fashioned that's not on a menu and be ok with the ~50c the package includes!

• Like 1

Hi Virga, I think I can help with some.1) Can't speak to cherries. 2)Blu has a MDR menu and you can order your "scampi" escargot from that and anything else you prefer. 3) Women wore sandals. I don't think flip-flops were an issue. 4) No slips with the all-inclusive. Cashless means for drink purchases. Paper money works best if you choose to leave additional tips. 5) If your AC cabin is on deck 9 there is an overhang that will protect you from direct sun.

• Like 1

We sailed on Summit on 7/31, and I went back solo on 10/5.  She's a beautiful ship with an amazing crew.  You'll have a fantastic time!

1) They have better cherries.  I don't recall what they were, but they have them.  Be sure and ask, though, as Heaven only knows what supplies are like these days.  My first choice for an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan (also two of my favorites) is Cellar Masters because of its whiskey selection (including a nice rye for that Manhattan), atmosphere, and music.  My close second choice is Rendezvous Lounge for atmosphere and music.

While I love the Martini Bar and spent a lot of time over there, it's a different sort of atmosphere. More raucous.  They are fantastic guys and a lot of fun!  However, I always associate my Manhattans and Old Fashioneds (and other such drinks) with a different atmosphere--personal thing.  Martini Bar often was before dinner. 

I'll be honest that I didn't spend much time at the Sunset Bar because it is largely devoid of shady spots (also a vampire, here).  When it was shady, I might get out there.  The Pool Bar tended to be fine, though.

You'll find that ALL the bars and bartenders on board are fantastic, no matter where you go.  

2) Answered.  It's nice that all the dining areas are together, so you can order from MDR in either Blu or Luminae.

3) Nice sandals are just fine.  DW and many other ladies wore them to dinner, including on chic nights, and no one batted an eye because they are quite appropriate and stylish.  I agree that the beach/pool shoes aren't appropriate, and they aren't what X were talking about regarding dinner dress.

4) Cash is perfectly fine.  Loads of passengers, including yours truly, tipped in cash.  It's not at all awkward.  I tended to tip "in bulk," so to speak (the occasional $5, $10, or $20, rather than with every drink) to make it a little easier, but no one will mind one little bit if you tip with every drink. 

5) Also being a vampire, completely sympathize with you on this! 

I wouldn't worry about switching. The reason why is that, even though my/our balcony was covered, that only mattered a relatively small part of the time.  If you're on the sunny side of the ship, your balcony will still largely be sunny.  The covers are not all that large, so you're just getting some extra shade at mid-day  If I wanted to be out there when it was sunny, I just put on my SPF 50+ and went out there.  Otherwise, I found a shady spot outside.  I believe Summit's capacity still is on the lower side, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with that.

Enjoy Summit!  I'm terribly jealous!  Say hello to everyone for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoGee said:

14 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Thanks guys!!  HOORAY for good cherries and escargot!  I feel a little guilty being so picky, but there are some very small things that make a big difference in my enjoyment - and good cherries are somehow on that list =p

Glad to know that no one will be playing shoe police - I assumed as much, but I do call them 'flip flops' and not 'sandals' when they're what Australians would call thongs 😉

I'll feel better about leaving cash, then, if putting cash on the bar isn't all that strange.  I do prefer to tip a little bit with each drink, because I'm liable to get a little overly appreciative on occasion - I prefer to save that for my last bar circuit before we leave.

I'm still a bit nervous about the balcony - even with sunscreen, I'm just not sun people.  I have one of the deck 11 cabins - I'd read about the overhang and didn't really put together that was a deck 9 feature until after I'd booked.  I'll be fine, though - I've spent a lifetime hiding from the sun.  You're quite right that the overhead only provides useful shade one particular portion of the day.

I'm so excited!  I imagine my sailing, starting on a weekend, will be at least a little more heavily booked than the current one (fewer than 400pax!!) but it sounds like they're sailing very lightly overall.  Given the price I got, it seems unlikely they will be anywhere close to capacity.  Should be an interesting and intimate experience!

Deck 9 overhang may provide more shade but remember those rooms are either under the buffet or the pool which can be noisy.   Deck 11 is my favorite spot with quick access to the rear of the buffet using the aft elevators or even the very aft exterior stairs to the sunset bar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Virga said:

On a whim, we booked a short cruise in Aquaclass on the Summit - it leaves tomorrow.  Our Covid tests are scheduled for this afternoon (with proctored home backups) and we were finally able to check in.  The suitcase is out and I'll start laundry and packing as soon as I get done with work today.  

A few questions, though - we have only sailed with Celebrity a handful of times, and it has been awhile.

3) I see that 'flip flops' aren't welcome in the dining room.  In my experience, this means you shouldn't be wearing those foam and plastic beach things - nice sandals (even thong style) are usually acceptable.  Is that the case here, or should I plan to pack some extra 'real' shoes? 

X does not allow “flip flops” or “Australian thongs” in the main dining room or specialty restaurants during the Evening. Nice sandals are definitely acceptable.

4 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

X does not allow “flip flops” or “Australian thongs” in the main dining room or specialty restaurants during the Evening. Nice sandals are definitely acceptable.

See, there's the terminology problem!  I'm my mind, they're flip flops if they have 'floss' between the big toe and the... pointer toe?  I only brought up thongs because I thought that was more or less the definition there.

The couple pairs I have in mind are definitely nice sandals, but they're floss style.  I'll probably keep an eye on ladies' toes the first night (ew!) when I'll be wearing real shoes, and see what others consider nice sandals.  

8 hours ago, Virga said:

1) Do any bars serve 'fancy' cherries?  We aren't so picky that they need to be Luxardo, but an old fashioned deserves a good cherry.  Relatedly, what bars are our best bet for good classic cocktails like an old fashioned or a manhattan? 

2) Is the escargot in Blu the same as the escargot in MDR?  I've heard yes, and I've heard no.  We prefer the 'scampi' style escargot, drowned in butter and garlic.  A cruise we recently took had some... not that... version, with the snails served in a buttery almost cornbready bake.  I think I would seriously be willing to forego Blu for 'real' escargot!

4) I believe I've read on here that if your drunk doesn't exceed the premium drunk package limit, you don't get a slip to sign - is that correct?  How do you handle additional tips?  Just bring cash?  Without a folio, it feels a little odd to leave money on a cashless bar - perhaps dollar coins instead?  Would those be difficult for the crew to deal with?

5) This is the most Kareny question on the list...  I just realized that in my haste and stupidity, I booked a cabin with no shade on the balcony, rendering it dangerous to me during the day - I'm half vampire on my mother's side.  Since the ships are sailing very lightly booked... Do you think it would be worth approaching guest services onboard to see about switching to a room with a covered veranda, if we were willing to give up Aquaclass?  Would it be better to call today?  Unfortunately, all other balconies are significantly more expensive than what we paid.  I'm content with our cabin if that's not possible, mostly just disappointed in myself for not doing my research.  

Thanks for any help you can provide!  We're excited - Celebrity doesn't offer enough short cruises for us to sail with them regularly, and most of our prior experiences with the line were when we sailed with a disabled elder.  Our concerns in the past were a totally different variety!

1. bright red cherries  out of the grocery store ice cream topping lane is the best I've seen on board. No real maraschinos.

2. escargot in blu is the same as the MDR only on ships were Bou and the MDR share the same galley. Summit is such a ship. So you will be happy with the escargot served there, and available daily. The other preparation is generally called an escargot fritter and may appear on a menu as a one time choice part of a specific menu.  The old Qsine tapas menu had them.  

3. Fancier or leather  flip flops are permitted. I've never been turned away or had them looked at askance.

4. you don't sign. If you want to give the server or bartender an extra tip, give him/her cash. or....if you always frequent the same bar and are served by the same person, give a cash tip at the end of the cruise. By the way, the billing for the premium drink will include 18% (I believe is the correct number) tip.

5. Switch to Aqua on the 9th deck if possible.  It has an overhang.  It's actually a step down from aqua on deck 11.

Edited by Guppy99

8 hours ago, Virga said:

On a whim, we booked a short cruise in Aquaclass on the Summit - it leaves tomorrow.  ...

I believe I've read on here that if your drink doesn't exceed the premium drink package limit, you don't get a slip to sign - is that correct?  How do you handle additional tips?  Just bring cash?  Without a folio, it feels a little odd to leave money on a cashless bar - perhaps dollar coins instead?  Would those be difficult for the crew to deal with? ...

For a year or two, we used near-mint dollar coins (U.S. Presidents, Sacajawea, etc.), and many crew members seemed to love them, saying that they were going to collect them (rather than spend them).

Then we read, here at CruiseCritic, that some crew members were not fond of dollar coins, because they could not be used in vending machines.  (Of course, those crew members would simply need to exchange them for dollar bills.)

Since then, we have used a mixture of coins and paper money.  If you have an excess of dollar coins at home, we'd encourage you to take them to the ship, where they will be welcomed by many crew members.  If you have no coins at home, don't make a special trip to the bank (which may not even have any coins in stock anyway).

Wishing you tons of fun on your "whim cruise"!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Flip flops that are not the rubber beach style are indeed permitted in the all dining rooms, at dinner. I have both leather and black patent flip flops, which are perfectly fine.

3 hours ago, Virga said:

See, there's the terminology problem!  I'm my mind, they're flip flops if they have 'floss' between the big toe and the... pointer toe?  I only brought up thongs because I thought that was more or less the definition there.

The couple pairs I have in mind are definitely nice sandals, but they're floss style.  I'll probably keep an eye on ladies' toes the first night (ew!) when I'll be wearing real shoes, and see what others consider nice sandals.  

you'll be fine

6 hours ago, Virga said:

Thanks guys!!  HOORAY for good cherries and escargot!  I feel a little guilty being so picky, but there are some very small things that make a big difference in my enjoyment - and good cherries are somehow on that list =p

Glad to know that no one will be playing shoe police - I assumed as much, but I do call them 'flip flops' and not 'sandals' when they're what Australians would call thongs 😉

I'll feel better about leaving cash, then, if putting cash on the bar isn't all that strange.  I do prefer to tip a little bit with each drink, because I'm liable to get a little overly appreciative on occasion - I prefer to save that for my last bar circuit before we leave.

I'm still a bit nervous about the balcony - even with sunscreen, I'm just not sun people.  I have one of the deck 11 cabins - I'd read about the overhang and didn't really put together that was a deck 9 feature until after I'd booked.  I'll be fine, though - I've spent a lifetime hiding from the sun.  You're quite right that the overhead only provides useful shade one particular portion of the day.

I'm so excited!  I imagine my sailing, starting on a weekend, will be at least a little more heavily booked than the current one (fewer than 400pax!!) but it sounds like they're sailing very lightly overall.  Given the price I got, it seems unlikely they will be anywhere close to capacity.  Should be an interesting and intimate experience!

I have always stayed on deck nine, mid-ship and under the pool. There is no noise. i have always found quite a bit of shade at all times of the day and on both sides of the ship. Even in August in Bermuda, when it is as hot as blazes.  It only takes my 10 minutes in the sun to get lobster red, so I avoid the sun at all costs. 

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Flip flops that are not the rubber beach style are indeed permitted in the all dining rooms, at dinner. I have both leather and black patent flip flops, which are perfectly fine.

To be clear, the flip flops I was referring to that X does not allow are the rubber ones that people wear to the beach.