South America Cruising Questions

Jockocruiser

As we are approaching peak-season for S. America cruises, may I pose a couple of questions for those experienced or booked as first timers for S. Amer. cruising  with Oceania. 

1. Docking - Where does Oceania dock in Buenos Aries and in Rio?

2. Carnival conflicts - A friend asked me about concerns I may have about being in BA and Rio during Carnival.  I hadn't even considered it!  So now I wonder about safety, hotel availability, traffic, etc. 

3.  Weather - How to deal with changing weather conditions on a month-long 'round the Horn trip?  

Thanks in advance!

Both BA and Rio have cruise ports which you can Google if you want specific information.  In both cases they are located in the cities although you would generally need some kind of transportation (excursion, taxi, etc) to get to the better parts of town.

As to Carnival, it is truly a fantastic event in Rio (we have not been to BA during Carnival).  When cruise lines are in Rio during the major days of Carnival they will usually have an excursion to the Sambadrome for the amazing parade that happens over a couple of nights.  We once took a Celebrity cruise (from BA) that docked in Rio for the 3 biggest days of Carnival.  Nearly the entire ship went to the Sambadrome (half one night and half the other night) where the parade goes on from about 9pm until dawn!  The Celebrity excursion was terrific because we had reserved seats and they had transportation standing by all night so that folks could leave anytime.  DW reminds me that we made it until about 3am with only a few other passengers staying by the time we left.

I am not sure what "concerns" folks would have other then the cities are pretty crowded and have a very festive atmosphere.  Street crime is an issue in both cities (but much more of a problem in Rio) and folks should take reasonable precautions just like they would in any major city. I would also mention that the neighborhood directly outside the port at Rio is not a very safe area.  I once spent a few hours exploring that area (I am an avid walker) and all my personal antenna were on high alert!   Unless things have changed there are a couple of major jewelry stores i(H.A. Stern and Amsterdam Sauer) n Rio that generally provide free transportation from the port to their stores which gets you into the heart of town.   We took advantage of the H Stern transportation which allowed us to tour their main store and also tour the jewelry factory located at that same location.  It was quite fun (and free).  After we were done they offered to drive us to just about anywhere we wanted to go (within the city) or take us back to the port.  

Hank

• Like 2

I echo Hank's comments on Carnival in RIO. It is one of our top travel highlights of all of our travels. We booked a private tour with do Brazil Right except our tour was 3 days:

https://www.dobrazilright.com/product/2022-rio-carnival-2-day-private-tour-bbq-lunch-oceania-marina-passengers/

We also made arrangements with them for the best night of the Parade - similar to this (although the music, costumes and floats are all changed each year):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsNoHinDidU

Warnings: The parade is VERY crowded. There was a special section reserved for tourists which was not recommended to us since it lacks some of the crowd enthusiasm. However, if we have the opportunity to go again, we will opt for that. The music is VERY loud and there is some nudity.

We also toured Buenos Aires with a private one day city tour and then 2 days on our own. We enjoyed it very much and did not feel any different in terms of safety than we do in European cities. 

HTH

• Like 1

So my short Carnival Rio story.  We went to the Sambadrome and took our seats.  A little after 9 the first parade started (we are talking thousands for each club) and DW remarked that the near nude ladies leading the huge parade were beautiful.  A Brazilian sitting behind us (who spoke perfect English) overheard DW and quickly said, " ahhhh, they are not women."   The parade was truly amazing and also deafening as the music is loud and never ends.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Our Carnival experience in Rio is many years ago (1973) , and it was on a land trip.  We were in a hotel over looking the main intersection where the parades came by -- the final evening, not the main "scene".  It was wonderful watching buses doing u-turns and completely reversing. Traffic was TOTALLY backed up.

Back then we didn't worry about crime, etc.  We encountered a few people (like the man trying to proposition my husband as we were walking down the street) but we were never concerned about our safety.

We returned in 2013 on a cruise and likewise had no problems. Then.

Not so sure about now.  It's still a wonderful city and we'd love to go back,

Mura

Of course this was in 1974 ... things may have changed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As far as I can recall everything posted equals our experience in Rio. We did not go to Carnival last year as we departed for BA a few days before on the Marina. We had planned on going to Rio this year for Carnival but, of course, that did not happen.

What I can add is that seating in general admission is not what you want. If you leave your seat it will be taken by anyone in the stands. If O offers a package take it or buy a Carnival package. You can find many offers with a simple web search.

If you are planning on staying in a hotel be aware that demand will be high in particular after Covid. If you can find a hotel book it and accept whatever rate you are faced with.

Both piers are relatively close to the centers of both cities. We had multiple self booked day tours with transportation to and from the piers arranged as part of our tours so I can't speak to Uber or taxi service. We did have difficulty trying to use Uber from the Rio airport. We finally just got a cab.

Oceania used the Hilton Copacabana when we were there. The hotel was jammed with O cruisers when we checked out. We booked the Hilton independently and booked transportation to the ship through our Rio guide.

Carnival is not as celebrated in BA. 

Another thing I became aware of was attire. I thought that people, especially the ladies, would be dressed in white or very light clothing. I felt terribly out of place...like a tourist. Beige to black would be more comfortable if you don't want to stick out.

When things settle down we will go back. I hope you enjoy every moment.

• Like 2

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

We were in Rio in late February 2020.  The port area has been greatly improved with new Museums, office buildings and a sleek new Tram that reaches the heart of the city in about 10 mins.  Carnival in BA is sedate compared to Rio's but occurs only on two nights--one night in the heart of historic downtown across from the Cathedral and Presidential Palace  and the second in a neighborhood.  We are in our mid 70's and felt very safe but watch out for the people with the cans of "crazy foam".           

Joel Barry

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:58 PM, Jockocruiser said:

2. Carnival conflicts - A friend asked me about concerns I may have about being in BA and Rio during Carnival.  I hadn't even considered it!  So now I wonder about safety...

3.  Weather - How to deal with changing weather conditions on a month-long 'round the Horn trip? 

Did a 42day Holland cruise out of BA ...down the Horn... up to Seattle (where my daughter lives)  Packed my carry-on (I don't own a regular big bag) Everything "mixed and matched"...and layers.  Undies I washed by hand in the sink with the shampoo supplied, etc.

As to "safety in Rio" during their Carnival.  I did not go to the evening productions, but during the day did the tours, which the only thing I didn't like was that any/all buildings were closed to public, incl. churches! Everything was boarded up, but otherwise ok.

• Like 1

I want to confirm @Cape Hernlopentake on Rio's port.  Very nice with light rail transportation just on the other side of the terminal into town.  Currency exchange and some shops as I recall.  We went to the Museum of Tomorrow an easy walk from the terminal.  It was very interesting.

Docking in Buenos Aries on the other hand was a MESS!  Although shore excursions were allowed to leave from just in front of the ship (as well as the shuttle to town) on the way back you were dropped at the terminal and had to take a different bus to your ship.  Traffic in the morning was okay but when you come back in the afternoon it's terrible.  From the time our tour guide gave the traditional 'bye and nice to have met you' (as we neared the terminal) until we actually got onto the ship was nearly 45 minutes.  Plan accordingly unless they have greatly improved this port.

I received a very comprehensive email with the embedded hyperlink from LANTAM airlines regarding South America Entry Restrictions and Testing.

Includes info on Chile, Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Ecuador, Uruguay; and USA and Canada for returning info. 

LANTAM travel info or https://mailchi.mp/bedd6660653a/restrictions

The email had a hyperlink to a mail chimp accessible web page recently updated.  Good place to start thinking about necessary steps for S.A. travel restrictions. (Please don't mess with the mail chimp subscribe/unsubscribe content at the bottom of the page)

To date I haven't received ANYTHING, from Oceania in this regard. Re Chile, it states that it can take as long as 30-days for the Mobility Pass!  I'm not aware of anything specific documentation from O as to how O will handle the testing requirements as the ship transits from country to country on the voyage(s). 

(I'm posting here rather than date specific "Roll Calls" as this applies to a variety of departures.) 

See you at sea.

• Thanks 1

I noticed in this update that in some cases tests must be PCR and not the antigen tests. We used the Abbott antigen tests exclusively for entry into Italy and return via France and USA in travel in September and October.

Beside the test for flights into Chile we will need a test within 72hours before getting on the Marina. As we are arriving independently precruise, we would have to do this.  And then, if I understand correctly, we will be tested upon getting on board the ship. The latter is without an additional charge?

Another question… I had not previously seen the note about having to spend at least one night in Santiago upon arriving. That would put a crimp in passengers using Oceana’s air program. As in theory, those folks would arrive and transit to the ship on the same day.   Under this notice that wouldn’t be possible.

Have any of you booked and paid-in-full guests received anything definitive from Oceania?  Please share
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:
I noticed in this update that in some cases tests must be PCR and not the antigen tests. We used the Abbott antigen tests exclusively for entry into Italy and return via France and USA in travel in September and October.

Beside the test for flights into Chile we will need a test within 72hours before getting on the Marina. As we are arriving independently precruise, we would have to do this.  And then, if I understand correctly, we will be tested upon getting on board the ship. The latter is without an additional charge?

Another question… I had not previously seen the note about having to spend at least one night in Santiago upon arriving. That would put a crimp in passengers using Oceana’s air program. As in theory, those folks would arrive and transit to the ship on the same day.   Under this notice that wouldn’t be possible.

Have any of you booked and paid-in-full guests received anything definitive from Oceania?  Please share

@jockocruiser  Great questions!  I have similar questions as  I am on the 8 Jan sailing with independent pre and post arrangements.

I have not heard from O (through TA) about my questions about entry into Chile post cruise.  I suspect O will update the travel document on their home page soon (I hope) to include and cover Dec and Jan Marina sailings.

I have been keeping an active watch on the official Chile websites and have not seen anything that addresses entry via cruise line.  They cover entry by air.  Chile recently expanded the 3 airport entry ports to 4 - Puerto Arenas.   Also, I have not seen the one night stay requirements mentioned in Latam information specifically mentioned on any Chilean government website.  However, I think the one night stay is a realistic "read between the lines" unwritten restriction, as technically an inbound international air traveler will take a PCR test upon arrival and will have to quarantine until results come back before being allowed to roam about the country.  .  

I am not sure how all this translates to cruise line passengers.  Some folks will be sailing from south with first point of entry in Puerto Arenas others will be embarking in San Antonio/Santiago. I've worked up some scenarios on how this might work, but it is all guessing and speculation.  So to cover all bases, I've planned a private transfer from San Antonio upon disembarkation.  (A requirement for inbound air passengers, not sure how this translates to cruisers.)

A lot can happen in a few days (as evidenced by events involving 1 Dec sailing) and much more can happen in 4 or 5 weeks.  Stay tuned...

I hope some news from Chilean government and/or O will be available soon.  

Edited by Homerody
  • Like 1

So at this point all we have is questions, with no answers 😩

And yes @homerody,  the experiences with the 01Dec sailing isn’t helping the anxiety level.

We are on the 26Feb departure from Port Antonio via Santiago with independent air, transfers, etc.  So entering Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil makes four different countries as we are continuing to Rio as an additional segment. 

Questions demand answers.  Who’s got the answers at O?

• Like 1

I am fortunate enough to be flexible and not "wedded" to cruise.  I will not be making FP till due date.  If I miss out on prime reservations for Specialty restaurants, that is a risk I am willing to take, and a small price to pay if things don't work out for 8 Jan cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to take my first O cruise and planning on it.  But if things don't work out and I do not have reasonable answers by FP date (if not before) my pre and post cruise weeks will be the basis for a longer land trip.  I have found a tour supplier that is flexible and understands a cruiser's predicament and is willing to be as flexible as possible.

• Thanks 1

At lot is transpiring quickly. I’d give Oceania a little slack, along with the time to work out a solution that will not be one size fits all.

One poster has already said she has made an appointment for her arrival Covid test at SCL. There is an option. I’ve made a pre-cruise reservation at a Marriott property in Vina Del Mar that will make our pre cruise, or pre flight, Covid test appointment for you, at a locally approved Pharmacy, and arrange your transportation. Our currently booked hotel in Santiago, which we plan on staying in a couple days upon arrival, says they are working on providing the same benefits. They hinted that if we have a Group they may be able to get the tests done at the hotel. The Concierge said they need another week to get all the details worked out. All these protocols are very NEW.

It appears to me that multiple options are being worked by a multitude of players. People need to chill a bit and give all those players time to work it out. The tourist industry in Chile wants the tourist back. They’re working to make it happen as easily as possible. I believe that Oceania is likewise motivated to be cruising again. 

For all the Beatles lovers that just wants someone “ To Hold your Hand”: Have patience Grasshopper! I’m guessing that by Thanksgiving most of your questions will be answered and the solutions posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

At lot is transpiring quickly. I’d give Oceania a little slack, along with the time to work out a solution that will not be one size fits all.

I agree with that.  Along with having a plan, especially as one gets closer to either FP (preferably) or sail date.

In my case, and it is a personal choice, if the arrangements provided by O do not work for me, I will deploy the FP escape hatch.  Then will implement my land option - not that will be any better or free of complications, but as a DIY traveller I will have more options and opportunities to mess everything up all by lonesome....

Pinotlover…

I am normally one of the last persons to be described as one who panics. But timelines and deadlines do create apprehension. My final payment date is two weeks from this Monday. Which is just a few days following Thanksgiving. That gives a very short window to understand and evaluate options, and look and creat a plan of attack in evaluating those options. 

we don’t wanna be in a similar state as what occurred to those on the 01 December sailing who had last minute notices that changed again in 24 hours. That is what is most discouraging to me. Plus, we are just reading suppositions instead of actual in-writing instructions.  The LANTAN documentation was a great summary of a half dozen different countries. It is disappointing that O hasn’t provided something similar.

I don’t like being told that everything is still covered by the standard terms and conditions so O can do whatever the heck they want.  Again, my goal is always to be “easy to do business with “and I hope that to be the final arrangements on this trip.

i’m all for hope and happiness. But I’m also a man of fax and figures back. Again, can’t wait to see you at sea and have this all behind us.

2 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

Pinotlover…

I am normally one of the last persons to be described as one who panics. But timelines and deadlines do create apprehension. My final payment date is two weeks from this Monday. Which is just a few days following Thanksgiving. That gives a very short window to understand and evaluate options, and look and creat a plan of attack in evaluating those options. 

we don’t wanna be in a similar state as what occurred to those on the 01 December sailing who had last minute notices that changed again in 24 hours. That is what is most discouraging to me. Plus, we are just reading suppositions instead of actual in-writing instructions.  The LANTAN documentation was a great summary of a half dozen different countries. It is disappointing that O hasn’t provided something similar.

I don’t like being told that everything is still covered by the standard terms and conditions so O can do whatever the heck they want.  Again, my goal is always to be “easy to do business with “and I hope that to be the final arrangements on this trip.

i’m all for hope and happiness. But I’m also a man of fax and figures back. Again, can’t wait to see you at sea and have this all behind us.

I understand your pain. Looking forward to those shore tours and winery tours with you!

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, silviaeaston said:

Did a 42day Holland cruise out of BA ...down the Horn... up to Seattle (where my daughter lives)  Packed my carry-on (I don't own a regular big bag) Everything "mixed and matched"...and layers.  Undies I washed by hand in the sink with the shampoo supplied, etc.

As to "safety in Rio" during their Carnival.  I did not go to the evening productions, but during the day did the tours, which the only thing I didn't like was that any/all buildings were closed to public, incl. churches! Everything was boarded up, but otherwise ok.

Silvia, 42 days with a carry-on bag only?  Impressive!!  My husband wants to meet you lol.  

• Haha 1