Testing onboard ships with U.S. departures

hisfirstm8

We have a cruise in 2 weeks that leaves from Florida and is 8 days long.  Does Holland America do Covid testing onboard during the cruise to test all passengers, or is testing only done for those that need it before departure?  Thanks for the information!

Barbara

1 hour ago, hisfirstm8 said:

We have a cruise in 2 weeks that leaves from Florida and is 8 days long.  Does Holland America do Covid testing onboard during the cruise to test all passengers, or is testing only done for those that need it before departure?  Thanks for the information!

Barbara

Leaving today on the Rotterdam and they will be testing on the way back.  Call HAL or your TA if it makes you feel more comfortable.  That's how we found out.

We were tested three times on our Panama Canal Nieuw Amsterdam trip.   It is a quick non invasive test.  They use Abbott Antigen.  They have you swab (about3/4 inch) both your nostrils for 15 seconds then place it in a packet then off you go.  Location was upper level Main Dining room.

You may be tested once for a 7 day cruise - cannot remember criteria for testing.    

I have read that non-US citizens who are flying home to their country can get PCR test on board as well.

Peter

• Like 1

For Americans:  It is my understanding after talking to HAL today, that even though we leave from a US port, go to a foreign port in Mexico or Caribbean and then return to the US, there is no testing on board for Americans.  The testing would be for non US citizens who disembark and catch a plane back to their country.  But, even after that conversation I am confused by post #4 and why all the tests were required.  In the end, we seem to get it all worked out.  

Edited by AKJonesy

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

For Americans:  It is my understanding after talking to HAL today, that even though we leave from a US port, go to a foreign port in Mexico or Caribbean and then return to the US, there is no testing on board for Americans.  The testing would be for non US citizens who disembark and catch a plane back to their country.  But, even after that conversation I am confused by post #4 and why all the tests were required.  In the end, we seem to get it all worked out.  

The protocols at one time, and maybe still do required tests every 7 days for cruises exceeding that length.  Just as the crew must test every seven days.

Do not know if that testing requirement has been relaxed or not.

• Like 1