Laundry benefit question

claranda

46 minutes ago, hoosier74 said:

However, we now always both choose the laundry benefit

If you're Silver, as we are, and you do any reasonable number of ship excursions, having one person choose the laundry benefit and the other person choose the 10% excursion discount will save you more than if you both choose the laundry benefit. If you're on a TA, there may not be enough excursions to be worthwhile! But otherwise, if you have three or more excursions, you'll likely save more having one of you choose the excursions benefit. (Three excursions at $99 each for two people = $594, so 10% off = $59.40. More excursions and/or more expensive excursions will increase the savings you get.) So on a Caribbean trip if you can't leave the trip independently and must use ship excursions, it's easy for the Club excursions benefit to be worth more than $100; pay for a second bag of laundry if you need it, and you'll come out ahead!

• Like 1

Absolutely true cruiseej!  And this is what we did when we were silver.  Fortunately we are now platinum so we have choices to spare.  We always choose the discount on excursions and the discount on wine.  We also chose the internet but since that no longer applies, not sure what we will do in the future.  Not much for the serene area and my husband doesn't like massages and telephone is problematic from time zones.  We are awaiting the unveiling of the enticing 'Preferences Landing Benefits.'  

2 hours ago, hoosier74 said:

not sure what we will do in the future

You could offer to send out bags of laundry for Silver-level guests, and charge them $25 per bag! Over the course of a week, you could make enough for a nice bottle of wine! 🤣

• Haha 1

We go on few Seabourn organised excursions, preferring to find local providers or hire a car, so the $50 saving on a bag of laundry is a no-brainer for us when it comes to choosing the benefit. Does anyone know if Seabourn is planning to offer a new benefit now that internet is included?

10 hours ago, claranda said:

We go on few Seabourn organised excursions, preferring to find local providers or hire a car

As I noted above, this currently isn't possible on some cruises due to local rules regarding Covid, and that's why this loyalty benefit might be more useful than in the past to some travelers. 

As for whether there will be a new loyalty benefit, I don't think anyone here knows unless/until they announce something. And while I do understand the thought, I find it a little amusing that Seabourn has made something free to benefit all Seabourn customers, and yet people then expect them to make something else free to "make up" for the "loss" of a previous loyalty benefit. Of course, we all know nothing is free! So if they add a new benefit for the loyalty program, reducing their revenue, they will undoubtedly raise cruise prices to make up for whatever revenue they'd lose. (Look at what Silversea did recently by adding "free" personal transfers between your home and airport.. and then raising cruises prices to compensate for the free benefit.) So be careful what you wish for! 😉

On 11/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, marazul said:

You said you would be on for 4 weeks.  Are these booked as B2B cruises?  If so you can change status in the second half.

We did a 21 day in 2018. First was a 14 day with a 7 day added. We turned silver during the first 14 days. Went to Seabourn square and we go the silver benefit on the last 7 day leg. 

We are booked on the Norway/Baltic to Russia cruise next summer (our third attempt, the last two having been cancelled), and with the current covid situation in Russia, it seems probable that if we go to Russia at all, we will be limited to ship's excursions.  Maybe even in Norway because the Norwegians might be wary of  travelers.  With the cost of excursions there, the discount on excursions will be a handsome benefit.  I agree about the 'included' 'free' benefits often raising the price of the cruise, particularly if you don't take ship's excursions, or if you prefer to book your own airfare.  

'

We are comparative Seabourn novices, and gain silver status part way through our next cruise (4 December from Barbados).  I know that Regent counts you as having the new status from the start of the cruise when it is earned.  We assume Seabourn does the same.  Thanks for the tip about getting two benefits per two passengers.  So perhaps we do get two bags of laundry between us in two weeks.

We'll see!  Nice to "meet" you again, Hank.

Mike

19 hours ago, MikeD1000 said:

I know that Regent counts you as having the new status from the start of the cruise when it is earned.  We assume Seabourn does the same.

Unfortunately, you assume incorrectly. Seabourn does not give you advance credit for the cruise you are embarking on. If your cruise is multiple cruise segments, and you pass the number of days required for Silver during one segment, you can get your Silver benefits on the next segment.

One thing to be aware of is that only one person needs to use their benefit choice on discounted excursions, but the discount extends to both people. (So I choose the discounted excursions, which applies to both of us, and my wife chooses the bag of laundry.)  

• Like 4

On 11/7/2021 at 7:18 PM, Cornet said:

I have just checked our booking for March on The Ovation and under Choose your Preferences it states-

Gold and Platinum ‘one complementary bag of laundry per week.’

Diamond ‘ one  complementary bag of laundry per week plus pressing’ 

Elite, quite rightly,get everything.

Silver is showing as ‘ one complementary bag of laundry’ so I suspect that’s just one bag per cruise.

Hope this helps.

Diamond members get unlimited laundry(not same day service) and pressing. It’s a nice benefit and the laundry usually comes back in a day or less and beautifully done.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, claranda said:

“(So I choose the discounted excursions, which applies to both of us, and my wife chooses the bag of laundry.) “

Bit sexist, isn’t it!!? 😃

🤣

When we hit Gold, I will add discounted premium wines to my wife's selected benefits. Will that even up the ledger? 😉 

The answers about "free" laundry are provided above. Another way to remember that Seabourn is not Regent is to harken back to the Norwegian roots of Seabourn when everyone was treated the same whether in a small or large cabin. Ditto with the butler business on certain lines' "premium" cabins. It's egalitarian and uncomplicated and especially these days rather refreshing!

Anyway, you have to pay for your laundry or do it yourself until you earn a loyalty level. I chuckle when I see people spending several thousand drachma a day for a cruise wondering how they will manage with some laundry charges and/or pack less to worry about money less.

I have met people on Silversea who will not try another line after they receive the "free" laundry benefit after the 100 day loyalty level is reached. Fine, I guess. I think it's better to take in the big picture, relax, and 

dress as if you are on a luxury cruise, leaving the incidental charges aside for the duration.

It is a pleasure to join a Seabourn ship and take advantage of what is on offer and what you get down the pike as those loyalty levels kick in. But "free" laundry and shore excursions would not attract me elsewhere. I know the products and what I am looking for. Each to his/her own.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, CJANDH said:

I am new to Seabourn. Can anyone tell me if laundry is complimentary in the named suites? It is on Regent and Silversea. Just wondering.

Also from a possible Seabourn cruiser: what are the laundry charges if you do not have complimentary laundry? Is it by bag or by piece? It appears there is a laundry room on Seabourn ships. What is the fee there? Thanks for any info.

1 hour ago, PSR said:

Also from a possible Seabourn cruiser: what are the laundry charges if you do not have complimentary laundry? Is it by bag or by piece? It appears there is a laundry room on Seabourn ships. What is the fee there? Thanks for any info.

Laundry room use is free of charge.  You can pay $50 per bag (and with creative corner stuffing and rolling a lot goes in, it is fun!).  Stuffing a bag turns out to be a bit cheaper than paying individually for each item (I ran various experiments).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PSR said:

The free self-serve laundry room has detergent available, so no need to bring your own.  The laundry room also includes an iron and ironing board.   Obviously it gets busy on sea days.

Jackie

• Like 1

And just to clarify the response from @Catlover54 above, you can do laundry by the piece if you wish, or by the bag for $50. Depending what it is you're sending to be washed, you can typically get a little more than $50-a-la-carte worth of laundry in the bag, but for some items you might be better by the piece.

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

And just to clarify the response from @Catlover54 above, you can do laundry by the piece if you wish, or by the bag for $50. Depending what it is you're sending to be washed, you can typically get a little more than $50-a-la-carte worth of laundry in the bag, but for some items you might be better by the piece.

22 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Laundry room use is free of charge.  You can pay $50 per bag (and with creative corner stuffing and rolling a lot goes in, it is fun!).  Stuffing a bag turns out to be a bit cheaper than paying individually for each item (I ran various experiments).  

11 hours ago, jsiegel said:

The free self-serve laundry room has detergent available, so no need to bring your own.  The laundry room also includes an iron and ironing board.   Obviously it gets busy on sea days.

Jackie

5 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Thanks to all for your answers! Sorry for the double quote from cruiseej. Couldn't figure out how to delete...

Edited by PSR