Amber cove and meeting up with locals

Djb4CC

I am wondering if anyone has experience with meeting up with a non-ship tour in the port.  I have a friend who is going to be in DR when I dock, so we want to meet up and do the city with her.  

She advises that as a non-ship tour/non-taxi, she will not be able to drive into the port.  She has indicated I will need to walk out to the main road past the gatehouse.I have no issue with the walk out, and assume it would be out at the location listed as “local guides” in the bottom right corner of the map.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

.41057D85-3281-41E0-9924-9A1D93C09918.thumb.jpeg.8e5e8cda603fdc86ee474a448048753a.jpeg

We were there about 3 years ago so not sure what it's like now but I don't think you should have a problem. The area in the picture which looks like a large parking lot was where the "approved" taxis waited for fares.

It is a short walk from the ship. Taxis there  were cheap and plentiful and we spent the whole day wandering around Puerto Plata and getting a taxi tour. I am guessing that you just continue walking past that area out to the main highway which is where the "local guides" shows on your map and meet them there.

They may also be able to drive up to the gate and meet you at what looks like the turnaround by the gate if you can coordinate your time. Who knows, they may even be able to get into the taxi parking lot to pick you up if the guy at the gate is not over-enthusiastic. Think your plan is doable

We visited the DR about Christmas time in 2020 and here's part of our post # 298 from our photo review .

We had booked a guide for the day and Amber Cove proved to be no different than Puerta Maya in Cozumel or Mahogany bay in Roatan . They are all Carnival built shopping centers designed to keep you and your money there . In order to get to the taxis or guides you must walk the entire length of the mall . In the case of Roatan or Amber Cove you have to walk the entire length of the property and exit through the gate . It's about a mile each way in Amber Cove . In the case of Amber Cove there is a long pier and you have to walk through building # 9 and keep walking until you leave Amber Cove to the street . You then turn left and continue to walk until you meet the taxis and private guides . Where you have to walk to is past the upper left corner where the red bushes are on the map next to the Amber Cove oval sign . You can see all the photos if you click here beginning with post # 298:

amber cove map 1.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

When we were at Amber Cove a couple of years ago, they had guys on bikes at the ship's gang plank who had pedi-cabs who would give you a ride along the long pier at least up to the shopping center.  Then it is another long walk through the shopping center, out the entrance, through the parking lot and out to the street.  It was hot when we were there, so the pedi-cab feature (as I recall they worked for tips) was a nice bonus to reduce the long walk in the heat.  Wonder if they will still have the guys. . .

Totally allowed to do self exploration in ports per the FAQ.  Unvaccinated guests (which I did not think they were on board) can only do ship excursions.

Can I explore the destinations independently?

Shore excursions offered by Holland America Line are strongly encouraged as local officials oversee health and safety standards for these guides. Independent tours or on-your-own exploration are currently permitted by local authorities.  While on shore, guests are required to follow local health and safety direction and requirements

Unvaccinated guests will only be permitted to go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Holland America Line using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 controls. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Holland America Line will not be permitted.

Edited by Djb4CC

• 2 weeks later...

We were there on Thursday and walked to meet our tour guide outside the gate. You are correct, you can meet at the "Local Guides section" on the right side of the driveway. There are also some tour guides on the left side (ours - Marysol Tours - was on the left side).