Ruby questions - Launderettes & Martini Spots

MarkBearSF

We'll be on the Ruby Princess for a Mexico cruise in two months and I have questions...
1) Are the self-service laundry rooms open?
2) What is the atmosphere of the Wheelhouse during SD Bistro hours? On past cruises on the Grand/Golden/Star sisters, our usual hangout was the Wheelhouse. For pre-dinner martinis and often for scotches later in the evening as we enjoyed the band and dancing (others dancing - not a dancer here). With the introduction of the Salty Dog Bistro, is it no longer operating as a bar? What is the atmosphere?
3) Related to that, the Wheelhouse was typically the site of the LGBT get-togethers. Have you noticed if they are still doing them (and where?)

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

...oh and one more that I forgot to mention.  On the topic of martinis, I noticed that the Sabatini's beverage menu features a drink using my favorite gin for martinis, Tanqueray 10, which is rare to find in a bar. Does anyone know if it's stocked in other bars. And how is Adagio as a bar? (rather than just somewhere you wait for your table in Sabatini's)

• Like 1

Aboard the Crown, the Wheelhouse Bar was still bar-like in atmosphere.  Granted, they did add ugly white high-top tables in the open area by the bar, which looked very down-market, but the comfy seating in the remainder of the room was as it always had been and the dance floor was still there.  I was never in there at lunch but for pre-dinner martinis and for late evening drinks, it definitely felt more like a bar and not a restaurant. 

I adore Adagio!  It does tend to be very quiet, which is a plus in my opinion.  No dance floor.  But often there will be a pianist or a trio or some other live music combo happening in the evening.  (Also, it's the only bar that serves a Citrus Bellini, which is an utterly delightful drink.)  I especially like Adagio for pre-dinner drinks because it's less busy than the Wheelhouse or Crooner's. 

• Like 2

Believe I read that the laundries have been open on other ships. Of course the Ruby is just re-starting.

Wheelhouse remains the comfortable lounge with dance floor. There are some tables for the gastropub on the starboard side. I never witnessed more than one or two tables being used. It isn't a very popular dining location. Dance floor and entertainment remained during certain sets as shown in the schedule. Bar seating could be restricted on the re-start. I've read that is the case at some bars on other ships.

Adagio is a very quiet location day and evening. Usually not crowded. There may be a musician there during cocktail hours.

LGBT get together times and location, if any, will be shown in the Princess Patter, or on the app schedule. The app schedule should be available about two weeks prior to boarding.  

• Like 1

Just got off the Ruby yesterday, yes the laundry rooms are open, there were free tokens to use for the washers and dryers.

The Wheelhouse Bar was used daily for word games in the morning [Scattegories] at 11 a.m. and LGBT get togethers at 5 p.m.  The Salty Dog dining was after 6 p.m.  The rest of the day the bar was empty and a great place for quiet reading [it's right next to the library], wonderful comfortable big chairs.  If you are familiar with the Grand Princess layout, the Wheelhouse bar and library are located where the Crown Grill is on the Grand.  On the Ruby, the Crown Grill is located on deck 7 [where Sabatini's is on the Grand].

The Wheelhouse bar has a "back door" that opens to the forward elevators and Princess Theater area.

Thanks all. Glad to hear that the Wheelhouse is pretty much as it was. We may do the bistro after a long port day with drinks rather than deal with the full MDR dinner. (Husband does NOT like buffets) 

Yeah, mostly familiar with Grand & Star, so yes, I noticed the swap of Crown Grill & Wheelhouse (and Sabatini's move to Deck 16). Also the reformatting of the Vista Lounge to Club Fusion.

Looking forward to a great trip!