Excursion tipping

Turn 8A

It's totally up to you, but I most often tip the Guide AND the Driver about $5.00 each.  Sometimes more if it seems they went out of the way and less if it appears they didn't do anything more than Day-Care and ensuring they finished work on time.   

One guide we had went above expectations securing a water taxi for our Regent tour group to make it to Portofino IT.  The prevailing reports were that rough seas were curtailing services from Santa Maria.  The seas flattened out and she convinced the Master of the ferry to make the trip.  [by doing so she also helped a bunch of other visitors since once we left, the other boat(s) felt comfortable to make the trip.].  That guide was rewarded by many of us.

• Like 1

I agree that usually $5-10 each for the driver and guide.  Shorter, less-intensive tours may be closer to $5 or so, all-day and informative tours can be $10-20 for driver and guide.  It's really what you're comfortable with.

Especially now, though, I tend to over-tip everyone just as a little extra in this new Covid world...

• Like 3

i generally do some research and tip according to recommendations for different places. We don't tip the same in all places cuz the economy in each palce can be vastly different.

As well I check to see if i need to purchase the local currency as some places tipping in USD is a problem for the locals.

We also tip according to the length of the tour. More for all day tours compared to half day ones.  We generally tip the driver about half what we tip the guide and unless my research specifically says to give the tip to the guide for them to share as they determine,  we give the tips to each of them separately. 

Have a wonderful cruise. 

I agree that it would help to have suggestions about proper tipping, do you think the Destinations area could publish a short note in the daily paper?  I also would want suggestions for the proper tipping for pre and post cruise tours.