Was the meeting re cruising on Yesterday??

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NSW-Tasmania-Victoria are the most likely given the vaccination statuses.

NSW-Queensland might take a bit longer to happen.

And SA, WA and the NT will be the last to join in.

Intrastate means cruising in the one state only.  Interstate means across borders. 

So NSW looks most likely.  Victoria is running out of time because they don't come after late March early April.  We don't have many ports capable of taking large ships either so only short trips would be possible.  P&O 3-4 dayers.  I guess you guys over the border could be the guinea pigs for testing protocols!

I reckon QLD would join the party if NSW gets going.  That beautiful new terminal needs an opening ceremony.

As they have now cancelled all of Pacific Explorers itineraries for this summer this leaves her with a clean slate to do test cruises.

They need a 3 month lead in time before commencing.  You can't grow lettuce etc overnight.  I believe some ships sailing in USA have a "bacation day" every second day because they can't source enough bacon.  I think Mardi Gra ran out of lettuce on her first trip.

Positive comments today

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Sunday

“I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks once we’ve got the medical information, but it will require at least one state or territory to partner on that,” he said.

“We’re working with a number of states and territories, we’ll let them make their own considerations. But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas.”

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/hunt-flags-cruise-ships-to-return-to-australian-shores-before-christmas-20211114-p598tl.html

Now just what that means for specific cruise lines plans - who knows?

• Thanks 1

“I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks ...."

"....But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas."

I just wonder if Greg Hunt has any idea of how long it takes to get a ship up and going.  I'd say none, which applies to most ideas associated with his department.  And does he know there are less than six weeks to Christmas?

I wouldn't start packing just yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

“I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks ...."

"....But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas."

I just wonder if Greg Hunt has any idea of how long it takes to get a ship up and going.  I'd say none, which applies to most ideas associated with his department.  And does he know there are less than six weeks to Christmas?

I wouldn't start packing just yet.

Yep, however it gives us all some hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Positive comments today

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Sunday

“I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks once we’ve got the medical information, but it will require at least one state or territory to partner on that,” he said.

“We’re working with a number of states and territories, we’ll let them make their own considerations. But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas.”

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/hunt-flags-cruise-ships-to-return-to-australian-shores-before-christmas-20211114-p598tl.html

Now just what that means for specific cruise lines plans - who knows?

Silversea might have a chance but I don't think it will be out of Cairns. Some sort of NSW-only itinerary out of Sydney maybe?