weird passport status

Denise72

My dh and I both have 2 statuses on our passport applications. We have 2 boxes showing a status in each, and we have since they were received. Until now they have said the same thing in each box with dates off by a few days IIRC. Tonight the first box says status is not issued, and  we have determined you are not eligible for a passport book. The second box says approved, and we are printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. This is the case on both accounts. Also, these are renewals. Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas why we have 2 statuses?

47 minutes ago, Denise72 said:

My dh and I both have 2 statuses on our passport applications. We have 2 boxes showing a status in each, and we have since they were received. Until now they have said the same thing in each box with dates off by a few days IIRC. Tonight the first box says status is not issued, and  we have determined you are not eligible for a passport book. The second box says approved, and we are printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. This is the case on both accounts. Also, these are renewals. Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas why we have 2 statuses?

Need significantly more detail to respond.

11 minutes ago, Denise72 said:

Such as?

For starters, “IIRC” isn’t very helpful. Either the dates were different or they were not. It’s important because the easiest explanation is that a newer date on one box that says “OK” suggests that their comments are cumulative.

Have you called them to ask? I know for a fact that you can call a specific number (Google is you friend).

Also, it would be helpful to know if you copied your actual applications (and how they were submitted) so that you can review for any common mistakes by both of you that would’ve caused the original “no go” entry.

Well, since the status has changed "IIRC" is all I have. Sorry my memory isn't good enough.

No, I didn't call them because I was just curious. The passports are approved so no need to call. I just thought someone may have seen it before.

No, they were not copied. They were completed individually with the online form fill and each printed with a bar code for them to scan. And I triple checked everything as I always do.

And the statuses both appeared at roughly the same time, and changed at roughly the same time. I can't be more specific than "roughly" either because I was not refreshing the page 24/7. I never saw one without the other checking about once a week.

11 minutes ago, Denise72 said:

Well, since the status has changed "IIRC" is all I have. Sorry my memory isn't good enough.

No, I didn't call them because I was just curious. The passports are approved so no need to call. I just thought someone may have seen it before.

No, they were not copied. They were completed individually with the online form fill and each printed with a bar code for them to scan. And I triple checked everything as I always do.

And the statuses both appeared at roughly the same time, and changed at roughly the same time. I can't be more specific than "roughly" either because I was not refreshing the page 24/7. I never saw one without the other checking about once a week.

Could be a glitch where earlier status should’ve disappeared when later status was posted OR they leave them all intact. 

How long did it take from your submission to the OK note? Have you received them back? Did you use expedited service?

Perhaps most importantly, did you get the “most pages” ones? (No longer can you get pages added to an existing passport).

I mailed Aug 24 with standard processing. They were quoting 12-16 weeks at that time. The denied and approved statuses changed within the last week- last Tuesday it was still showing in process on both, yesterday was when I first saw the update. It says they should arrive around 11/15.

No extra pages, just the standard book.

7 hours ago, Denise72 said:

I mailed Aug 24 with standard processing. They were quoting 12-16 weeks at that time. The denied and approved statuses changed within the last week- last Tuesday it was still showing in process on both, yesterday was when I first saw the update. It says they should arrive around 11/15.

No extra pages, just the standard book.

Checking off the "extra pages" would have no impact other then they use a slightly thicker book.  But I jumped on this one issue because I do think most folks are wise to always ask for extra pages.  Most cannot predict how much travel they will do in the next ten years and those extra pages can come in handy if you need several blank pages to satisfy the requirements of a particular country.  Many years ago it did not cost anything to send in your Passport Book and have extra pages added.  But now, the process of getting extra pages added takes many weeks and does involve a fee plus postage.  But asking for those extra pages does not involve any extra cost if it is done when renewing or applying for a new passport.

As to how long it takes, the answers are all over the place.  Our SIL applied for a renewal back in February and paid the extra $60 for it to be expedited.  He still does not have his Passport although the web site does say it was approved (but no evidence it was ever mailed).  Phone calls have not done anything to resolve the issue.  While this is certainly an odd case it is the kind of thing that has been happening in the recent two years.  When I applied for my Global Entry renewal it took just over 9 months to get the approval and new card.  This process usually takes only a few days (or weeks if they want a new interview).

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Checking off the "extra pages" would have no impact other then they use a slightly thicker book.  But I jumped on this one issue because I do think most folks are wise to always ask for extra pages.  Most cannot predict how much travel they will do in the next ten years and those extra pages can come in handy if you need several blank pages to satisfy the requirements of a particular country.  Many years ago it did not cost anything to send in your Passport Book and have extra pages added.  But now, the process of getting extra pages added takes many weeks and does involve a fee plus postage.  But asking for those extra pages does not involve any extra cost if it is done when renewing or applying for a new passport.

As to how long it takes, the answers are all over the place.  Our SIL applied for a renewal back in February and paid the extra $60 for it to be expedited.  He still does not have his Passport although the web site does say it was approved (but no evidence it was ever mailed).  Phone calls have not done anything to resolve the issue.  While this is certainly an odd case it is the kind of thing that has been happening in the recent two years.  When I applied for my Global Entry renewal it took just over 9 months to get the approval and new card.  This process usually takes only a few days (or weeks if they want a new interview).

Hank

Last time I checked, the “adding extra pages” service has been discontinued.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Last time I checked, the “adding extra pages” service has been discontinued.

You can't add pages to an existing passport any longer but you now have the option of ordering your new or renewal passport either with the standard 28 pages or the larger 52 page book. There's no additional charge for the large book.

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You can't add pages to an existing passport any longer but you now have the option of ordering your new or renewal passport either with the standard 28 pages or the larger 52 page book. There's no additional charge for the large book.

The option for the fatter book has been around for at least as long as the added pages option has been eliminated.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Many years ago it did not cost anything to send in your Passport Book and have extra pages added.  But now, the process of getting extra pages added takes many weeks and does involve a fee plus postage.

adding extra pages to an existing passport was done away with years ago. Now the choice is 28 or 52 pages when you initially apply or renew.