Cabin(s) upgrade bid question

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Nice strawman.  I was referring only to the unusual situation that you are "struggling" with.

Not struggling, im perfectly happy with the cabins we book, but why not try to upgrade?  Just like everyone else that bids on the cabins, they are probably fine with what they have, but doesnt hurt to try.   Meheartcrusing gave me the exact answer i was looking for with my 2 cabin question.  Just bid a little higher on the one i want prioritized.  simple answer, but i didnt think of it and it answers my question.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, mjkacmom said:

Wow they must’ve changed it, I had to split up my 19 and 20 year olds and we had connecting cabins! Keep in mind if they move the cabins, they will no longer be adjoining, so you might need to put a parent and child in each cabin.

You could get adjoining or connecting cabins )(or neither of the above) when upgrading.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, 20165 said:

Has to be somewhat new.  We are very use to the parent in each room and doing the door card shuffle when we get on the ship with the purser. Royal Caribbean did allow us to do this on our last cruise about 2 years ago, but the cabins has to be connected.  I was surprised that we were able to do this will completely separate cabins in different locations.

No need to do a shuffle, just go to the front desk and ask for cabin access only keycard for everyone to the cabin they are not officially in.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

Why don’t you change the parents cabin bid to be $5 more than the kids cabin.  Then the parents would almost certainly be picked first and if space permits, the kids would likely be next. 

That will not always work.  Bid amount is not the only parameter that they use to award upgrades.

We have a similar situation. Me and my teen daughter in one cabin and my spouse and teen son in another. I really want to upgrade, but I still feel like 2 will be left out of the Haven possibly. When is your sailing? Ours is Dec. 18.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:00 AM, 20165 said:

No, once again, thats not the case.  see the other posts above. The 18 and 15yo are booked in their own room and no its not adjoining to ours.  There was some exception they make if one of the kids is an adult and traveling with their parents.

I am happy that you were able to arrange an exception. The cruise line policy is still:

Travelling with Minors and Young Adults:
Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or a connecting/adjoining stateroom) by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

• Minors – an individual under the age of 18 on the day of embarkation/boarding.
  • Young Adult– an individual between the ages of 18 and 20.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier prior to boarding.

I also find it interesting that they allowed the room with minors to bid since the Upgrade Advantage program requires that you be at least 21 to make an offer.

Edited by BirdTravels

On 11/13/2021 at 5:05 AM, 20165 said:

Not struggling, im perfectly happy with the cabins we book, but why not try to upgrade?  Just like everyone else that bids on the cabins, they are probably fine with what they have, but doesnt hurt to try.   

You must have missed the quotes.  That said, you're making this way too complicated.  Family trumps Haven every, single, time.  I would rather have the whole family together in steerage than have to play the Haven access for non-Haven guests game.  You have the rest of your life to upgrade to Haven.  Why not just enjoy being with your family as originally planned?

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You must have missed the quotes.  That said, you're making this way too complicated.  Family trumps Haven every, single, time.  I would rather have the whole family together in steerage than have to play the Haven access for non-Haven guests game.  You have the rest of your life to upgrade to Haven.  Why not just enjoy being with your family as originally planned?

Well, thats your opinion. We're on a boat, i think we will see each other plenty. 

I had a bid in on a Haven courtyard penthouse suite to get inside the courtyard. I looked this morning and for half my bid price I could get a 2 bedroom Haven family villa suite. I jumped on it and I happily cancelled my bid. Hopefully the op will luck into a deal like that. It only takes a few minutes to check each day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I had a bid in on a Haven courtyard penthouse suite to get inside the courtyard. I looked this morning and for half my bid price I could get a 2 bedroom Haven family villa suite. I jumped on it and I happily cancelled my bid. Hopefully the op will luck into a deal like that. It only takes a few minutes to check each day. 

OMG! you and Gary are so smart!! Thanks for the tip. I had a bid in for the H5 Haven 2 BR with the amazing 2 Baths. Just now, prices had dropped so I was able to do a straight upgrade like you, plus add the Premium Plus Bev. package as well as the Premium WIFI, use a little bit of Future Cruise Credit that we might have lost anyway (due to expiration). I also happily cancelled my bid! No money out of pocket for us and we saved $490 over possibly getting an Upgrade Advantage Bid Win! YEA!! Thank you! 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Yup. That's the way it works sometimes. We have done that when prices drop. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 8:39 AM, 20165 said:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but i couldnt find our exact scenario.  We have 2 club balcony suites booked in december, one for us, one for our 18 and 15yo.  I put in bids on upgrades for both cabins, all relatively low, but all haven cabins.  My question is what if one cabin gets upgraded and the other doesnt?  Will we and/or our kids be able to come to our cabin if its in the haven and the other is not? And if the kids cabin gets upgraded and ours does not, are they going to let us switch cabins?  

Great option though, especially if we were traveling with only 1 cabin, but two cabins seems to add a level of complexity...

thanks in advance

Following up on the outcome of this.  We were upgraded today from the club balcony to the Haven Forward-Facing Penthouse on both cabins so my original concern was that one of the cabins get upgraded to the Haven and the other doesnt but that didnt happen so great.  We are on different floors, but basically right above and below each other which is also fine with us, however, they left our 18 and 15 yo in their own room which we thought they would change, especially since they are no longer on even on the same floor anymore.  Wonder if they will leave it that way for the cruise or change it when we get to the port.  Either way, doesnt matter to us since both the cabins are in the Haven and both are the same category.  

So i stressed over nothing, in fact, we got a higher category than we were expecting.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Following up on the outcome of this.  We were upgraded today from the club balcony to the Haven Forward-Facing Penthouse on both cabins so my original concern was that one of the cabins get upgraded to the Haven and the other doesnt but that didnt happen so great.  We are on different floors, but basically right above and below each other which is also fine with us, however, they left our 18 and 15 yo in their own room which we thought they would change, especially since they are no longer on even on the same floor anymore.  Wonder if they will leave it that way for the cruise or change it when we get to the port.  Either way, doesnt matter to us since both the cabins are in the Haven and both are the same category.  

So i stressed over nothing, in fact, we got a higher category than we were expecting.  

Wonderful and congratulations.  Thank you also for reporting back the outcome.  Have an wonderful cruise!!!

On 11/14/2021 at 12:35 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

That will not always work.  Bid amount is not the only parameter that they use to award upgrades.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, Oxo said:

What else do they use? 

Curious on the answer to this as well.  😄

12 hours ago, becky11 said:

Curious on the answer to this as well.  😄

one thing i forgot to mention was one of the posters suggested i up the bid on the room i really wanted upgraded if it came down to one or the other so i did that, by $50 and that room seemed to get the better room upgrade.  Although they are both the same category, wifes and my room is on deck 10 and the kids are on deck 9.  Their room seems to be a bit smaller according to the deck plan.  Not sure the extra bid on ours helped with a higher deck or if it was just coincidence. 

• Like 1