Cabin(s) upgrade bid question

Sorry if this has been answered already, but i couldnt find our exact scenario.  We have 2 club balcony suites booked in december, one for us, one for our 18 and 15yo.  I put in bids on upgrades for both cabins, all relatively low, but all haven cabins.  My question is what if one cabin gets upgraded and the other doesnt?  Will we and/or our kids be able to come to our cabin if its in the haven and the other is not? And if the kids cabin gets upgraded and ours does not, are they going to let us switch cabins?  

Great option though, especially if we were traveling with only 1 cabin, but two cabins seems to add a level of complexity...

thanks in advance

36 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but i couldnt find our exact scenario.  We have 2 club balcony suites booked in december, one for us, one for our 18 and 15yo.  I put in bids on upgrades for both cabins, all relatively low, but all haven cabins.  My question is what if one cabin gets upgraded and the other doesnt?  Will we and/or our kids be able to come to our cabin if its in the haven and the other is not? And if the kids cabin gets upgraded and ours does not, are they going to let us switch cabins?  

Great option though, especially if we were traveling with only 1 cabin, but two cabins seems to add a level of complexity...

thanks in advance

This can be tricky because one might win an upgrade and not the other. The Bid winner can have the others visit them in their cabin in the Haven and also could arrange to pay for the others to join them for a meal in the Haven restaurant, but that's it I believe.

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

thanks in advance

There was a similar question asked a few weeks ago. The title starts with "Upgrade Advantage and Haven Question" and can currently be found on page 13. Has some good info.

29 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Technically the kids can’t be booked into a cabin without someone 21+, so if only one cabin gets upgraded, only one parent and one child would be allowed in the Haven.

I was thinking the same thing which makes this situation even more tricky.  

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

And if the kids cabin gets upgraded and ours does not, are they going to let us switch cabins?  

Here is my thoughts.  Since if you look at your reservation each cabin has an adult in in, bid a little higher so both cabins get upgraded.  Other then that, the non-haven cabin can visit but can not use the Haven amenities.  The cost to join at dinner is based on permission then $35.00 to $45.00 per meal. 

I think what you are really asking is, if it is worth the risk.  The answer is YES.

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I was thinking the same thing which makes this situation even more tricky.  

Here is my thoughts.  Since if you look at your reservation each cabin has an adult in in, bid a little higher so both cabins get upgraded.  Other then that, the non-haven cabin can visit but can not use the Haven amenities.  The cost to join at dinner is based on permission then $35.00 to $45.00 per meal. 

I think what you are really asking is, if it is worth the risk.  The answer is YES.

But one adult will not be able to enjoy the Haven.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But one adult will not be able to enjoy the Haven.

Yep, there is the risk.  Yet if you are reading all the many folks talking about the ability to upgrade to the Haven lately, your odds are good.  If the risk is to great, then pass.  I say, what the heck.  Go for it.

My wife and i are currently booked in one cabin under a reservation number and my 2 sons in another cabin under a different reservation number.  They wanted to put my wife and i in each cabin, but you can get an exception if one of you kids are 18 or if they are adjoining cabins.  Our current cabins arent adjoining, but my oldest son is 18.

Just now, 20165 said:

My wife and i are currently booked in one cabin under a reservation number and my 2 sons in another cabin under a different reservation number.  They wanted to put my wife and i in each cabin, but you can get an exception if one of you kids are 18 or if they are adjoining cabins.  Our current cabins arent adjoining, but my oldest son is 18.

Wow they must’ve changed it, I had to split up my 19 and 20 year olds and we had connecting cabins! Keep in mind if they move the cabins, they will no longer be adjoining, so you might need to put a parent and child in each cabin.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

Wow they must’ve changed it, I had to split up my 19 and 20 year olds and we had connecting cabins! Keep in mind if they move the cabins, they will no longer be adjoining, so you might need to put a parent and child in each cabin.

they currently are not adjoining so i dont think that will be an issue. 

2 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Have you thought about bidding for a two-bedroom Haven stateroom?  I wonder how NCL would handle that.  If you only won an upgrade for one of your current rooms, would your other family members be allowed to join you in the second bedroom of the Haven room?

We bid on pretty much all of the haven upgrades offered with both cabins.  Reading through this, i think our biggest risk is if our kids cabin gets upgraded and ours doesnt and we want to swap cabins.  Needless to say, they dont get the penthouse suite if theirs gets upgraded to that...

BTW, this also stumped NCL customer service.  I ran this scenario by them and they didnt have an answer.  They said we would have to check with the ship purser when we boarded which from past experience means they dont know...  

Edited by 20165
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I can not believe this stumped NCL customer service, LOL.  

Yea, thats why we started with this question here vs. asking NCL directly, but my wife thought she would give it a shot.  Pretty much got the non answer we expected.

To be fair, it is a pretty oddball situation.  2 teenage boys booked in a cabin by themselves.  Then trying to upgrade it...

NCL CS does not know a lot of the answers and really they should or know who to ask in their office to get a reasonable response back to the client.

When you get on the ship, to ask GR or Hotel Director or anyone else, their answer is 'we must contact NCL Office to find the answer.' Been there and done that.  

Last time we were on NCL Encore Feb 2019 on a B2B, we tried to get the same cabin for the B2B. We were told since we did a Bid Up we could not change cabins as the rules state. Even though we had the same Category Cabin and it was only 2 cabins down. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Why don’t you change the parents cabin bid to be $5 more than the kids cabin.  Then the parents would almost certainly be picked first and if space permits, the kids would likely be next. 

Man, i dont know why i didnt think of that.  Thank you.  Awesome idea.

thanks again

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 20165 said:

thanks in advance

So, it would be really bad if one gets upgraded and one does not. I assume that the parents split the cabins (because you can't book a room for an 18 and 15 yo, neither meet the minimum age). So one adult is left out in the cold (and the concierge staff is pretty good at knowing "who belongs" and "who doesn't belong" in the Haven. So, mom and one of the kids can eat in the Haven restaurant and use the Haven sundeck and Haven pool, but dad and the other kid will be stuck at the buffet. 

Edited by BirdTravels

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So, it would be really bad if one gets upgraded and one does not. I assume that the parents split the cabins (because you can't book a room for an 18 and 15 yo, neither meet the minimum age). So one adult is left out in the cold (and the concierge staff is pretty good at knowing "who belongs" and "who doesn't belong" in the Haven. So, mom and one of the kids can eat in the Haven restaurant and use the Haven sundeck and Haven pool, but dad and the other kid will be stuck at the buffet. 

No, once again, thats not the case.  see the other posts above. The 18 and 15yo are booked in their own room and no its not adjoining to ours.  There was some exception they make if one of the kids is an adult and traveling with their parents.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 20165 said:

No, once again, thats not the case.  see the other posts above. The 18 and 15yo are booked in their own room and no its not adjoining to ours.  There was some exception they make if one of the kids is an adult and traveling with their parents.

I’m really hoping this is a new policy and they keep it.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m really hoping this is a new policy and they keep it.

Has to be somewhat new.  We are very use to the parent in each room and doing the door card shuffle when we get on the ship with the purser. Royal Caribbean did allow us to do this on our last cruise about 2 years ago, but the cabins has to be connected.  I was surprised that we were able to do this will completely separate cabins in different locations.

19 hours ago, 20165 said:

Man, i dont know why i didnt think of that.  Thank you.  Awesome idea.

thanks again

Please let us know what ends of happening.    As a married couple who also travels with two young adult children, I feel invested in your dilemma.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:39 AM, 20165 said:

I put in bids on upgrades for both cabins, all relatively low, but all haven cabins.  My question is what if one cabin gets upgraded and the other doesnt?  Will we and/or our kids be able to come to our cabin if its in the haven and the other is not? And if the kids cabin gets upgraded and ours does not, are they going to let us switch cabins?  

Have you considered just avoiding all of this and sticking with the nice rooms that you have?  If you really want everybody in the Haven, just bite the bullet, pull out your wallet, and pay for it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Have you considered just avoiding all of this and sticking with the nice rooms that you have?  If you really want everybody in the Haven, just bite the bullet, pull out your wallet, and pay for it.

So NCL should do away with bidding on upgrades?

9 minutes ago, 20165 said:

So NCL should do away with bidding on upgrades?

I don't believe anyone is suggesting this.

Check the price of the cabin you want. You may be surprised that it may be cheaper now and even cheaper than what you bid. Then you can call your TA to make the change. Good Luck! Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

• Like 1