**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

On 12/30/2021 at 5:57 PM, sweatdrop said:

Wanted to also ask if anyone used the port testing at Long Beach on the day of embarkation and how it went.  Our circumstances won't allow us to use any of the other options and wanted to know more about this.  

We did long beach port testing because it was near impossible to book in cvs or  walgreens port testing on new years day.  Got to the pier at around 930, got in the testing line.  The terminal was opened about 10am.  We were scheduled 10am , got tested about 1015am then waited for 20 minutes for the results. It was nerve wracking.  But i’m happily on board right now.  Next time, i won’t  book something too close on the holidays if testing is still needed.

I scheduled my test for February 24th before my Feb 26th cruise and flight on the 24th to LAX.

The testing center at SJ airport has regular tests. If there is a delay in getting reaults due to backlogs will I be denied boarding if its beyond my control?

I dont drive so drive thru centers in Long Beach wont help due to my low vision.

Its discriminating to only have drive thru testing but in person vaccines. Its hard for me to do the at home proctored test.

Can we just end the testing January 30th as Omicron will hopefully be on a downward swing or at least increase the time back to 72 hours before for vaccinated cruisers?

The ADA requires equal access to testing centers but if you cannot drive or Uber refuses to take you through the line there is a problem.

Can Carnival make an exception and bill my Insurance or not charge me for a rapid test at the port the day before? Can I use my disability as a reason for it being hard to get a test?

I follow all guidelines however this test is hard for those with visual impairments who cannot drive.

Does the ADA and CDC require  testing centers require them to allow walkups for those who can't drive?

2 hours ago, travelplus said:

I found a testing center at SJC airport for 6:30 AM . When it says 2 days before I imagine it can be taken anytime on Feb 24th for Feb 26th.

Correct, you can test anytime after midnight of the 24th, 6:30am will be fine. Carnival is offering tests in the terminal ($100?) as a last resort, with appointment and prepayment. Not sure if that is available in all ports.

3 hours ago, travelplus said:

Its hard for me to do the at home proctored test.

It might be difficult, but it sounds like this might be the best option for you. And if you explain to the proctor that you are visually impaired, I would almost bet that they will allow somebody to assist you with the test where absolutely necessary. Although you are using an electronic device and internet to post here, so I'm sure that where there is a will there is a way.

If you prefer to go the "discrimination route", I would suggest that you contact a testing center and explain that you cannot drive and that you would like them to make an ADA related accommodation, and explain your limitations (rather than immediately accusing them of discriminating against you).

Hopefully, you can get it all figured out so that you can enjoy your cruise, best of luck!

• Like 1

Do you have a doctor??  Make an appointment to have your regular doctors office do the test under your circumstances (I would assume they would be aware of your situation).  You can also test at a pharmacy (ie  Walgreens ID NOW test), I assume uber can get you to Walgreens?  CVS?  

Edited by Drazil65

I was able to schedule it at the SJC airport before my flight. I was speaking more about those who need assistance. I have had the administrator at the drive thru test site assist me. Luckily in my case I can get a ride and my visual impairment is not severe but it does limit my driving for now.  I wish they had more "in store" testing.  I was able to get a  6:00 AM appointment on 2/24 for my 2/26 cruise which gives me more than enough time to get the results and board my 10:10 AM flight.

My original appointment was at 8:30 AM with City Health but then one of my contacts told me to try WorkSite Testing and they opened up the early testing time. They offer the RT-PCR regular test and guarantee a 36 hour turnaround. With this being said I am almost certain I will get the results in time. Worst case I can go to their Long Beach testing center.  I am covered!

Thanks so much for your concerns. 

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure what time zone is used for the home test. We need to be on the road about midnight central time but we are cruising from Miami. I was wondering if we test after 11 pm if it may show as Thursday since that will be after midnight eastern?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Denise72 said:

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure what time zone is used for the home test. We need to be on the road about midnight central time but we are cruising from Miami. I was wondering if we test after 11 pm if it may show as Thursday since that will be after midnight eastern?

If you are doing the home proctored test why does it have to be at midnight. you could do it the morning of the cruise and get your results while on the computer

5 minutes ago, canes20 said:

If you are doing the home proctored test why does it have to be at midnight. you could do it the morning of the cruise and get your results while on the computer

Because my home internet connection is vastly better than any hotel I've ever stayed in. 🙂

Just now, Denise72 said:

Because my home internet connection is vastly better than any hotel I've ever stayed in. 🙂

If it is UTC like stated above, I would imagine it will be well into Thursday in Greenwich.

Just now, canes20 said:

UTC is Greenwich? What time was it and what is your time zone when you took the test?

6:20am on 12/31 in Costa Rica, which is CST. Which makes sense, as UTC is 6 hours ahead. By the way, no wait during that time period, I was connected automatically with a proctor.

14 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

6:20am on 12/31 in Costa Rica, which is CST. Which makes sense, as UTC is 6 hours ahead. By the way, no wait during that time period, I was connected automatically with a proctor.

I wonder if they are all UTC or they are spread out all over the world to do the testing.

1 hour ago, dcsham said:

You have to declare what state you are in prior to the test. That is how they determine the day that the sample was collected.  On the printout of the results, UTC time will be converted to the local time where you took the test. So if you take it before midnight, it will show as Wednesday and won’t be acceptable. 

Hmm, I'm in Florida but in the panhandle where it is central time. I wonder if they would assume since Florida it is eastern. Most people do 😂

I had mine there (CVS) but when I made the appt online it asked what the test was for and checking the travel box made it go immediately to PCR testing which I got back in less than 24 hrs and that's acceptable for any and all travel that I know of 😄 

Edited by butterfly4108
  • Like 1