Just off Divina (4 night, 07 Nov 21) - Ask Away

Morgsmom

I'm back at my desk at work - actually been here since 8:15am!  Will make this quick, but ask away if anyone has Divina questions.

In short:

1)  Food was so much better than it was in September.  We were on their 2nd sailing and clearly they didn't have all of their gears oiled at that time.  MDR food was much improved

2)  Butcher's Cut - was yummy, but NOTE that they current onboard price for Dining Experience is $59 + grat (it changed with the beverage package changes), so book BEFORE you BOARD at $37 if that's still an option.  At $59+ the tables were occupied only by Diamond pax (complimentary)

3) When we boarded we were given a "thanks for coming back" letter which basically said they reserve the right not to give any return guest/ Voyager's Club goodies due to the current situation.  Did NOT get any MSC schwag on this (or previous) cruise.  They also did not send the note about making reservation to use the "thermal" suite.  

4)  They are still getting used to the new beverage packages. The daily planner said that we could upgrade to a Premium Bev Package with no price limits (WRONG).  It actually said this for a few days until I pointed it out.. .whoopsie.

5) The crew has not been off the ship for MONTHS now and are happy, but weary.  (They have only touched the sand at Ocean Cay, but otherwise cannot go off).  Useful gifts are most welcome.  

6) Yes, there was a welcome back party but the Captain was busy getting ready to pull out of Ocean Cay so he didn't attend.

7) I did not get the Fantastica package "free photo" from Med/Italian night because Italian night was the final night and there were no roving photographers.   (I mean, not that I really cared but I was supposed to get it as part of the package).   In addition, you cannot order a BEVERAGE with room service after breakfast in Fantastica anymore.  So for the extra I paid I really got nothing (IMO) because the stateroom that I had selected was changed (by MSC) and I couldn't get a pot of herbal tea the one time I tried to get room service.  

To note, there were 890'ish pax on board and 1100 crew.

Please ask with any questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Thanks for the report!! Can you talk about the verification of travel insurance and/or COVID test results and testing stuff?

US citizens do not need travel insurance.  COVID tests results were checked 2x - one entering the check in hall and again at the check in desk.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

In the MDR, what was your favorite food?

What did you order at Butcher's Cut?

Did you listen to any of the music around the ship?  What was your favorite?

In the MDR the Italian night food was delicious (go figure) = the Asst Maitre D' was making fresh pasta arriabiata, and the Osso Bucco was yummy.  

At Butchers - a shrimp cocktail, chopped salad, Filet and Baked Potato (I subbed out a 2nd starter for dessert).  The filet was cooked perfectly.

Can't say that any particular music was my favorite; it's pretty hard (IMO) for entertainers to get really enthused when there are 10 people in the whole bar!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, styles27 said:

Glad to hear the food has improved. 

We have easyplus drink package did you notice if there were any $9 cocktails on the bar menus?

Particularly espresso martinis or old fashioned?😬

Food was very, very good.  I had wanted to do a running review but had trouble getting my laptop to connect (even guest services couldn't figure it out so I determined that it was a sign to not do any work). 

Easy Plus package is VERY generous - you can get espresso martinis, old fashioned's etc.  Make sure that you "call" the highest level of liquor you can get. For example you will want a TITOs espresso martini (otherwise it will be well vodka).  This is especially true if you are getting frozen drinks - folks were just asking for "strawberry daiquiris" but not specifying, so they were getting well when they could have gotten a better base liquor.  

When you are onboard PLEASE ask the crew about the Salsa Cruise.  They are more than happy to share their tales 🤪

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Morgsmom said:

Food was very, very good.  I had wanted to do a running review but had trouble getting my laptop to connect (even guest services couldn't figure it out so I determined that it was a sign to not do any work). 

Easy Plus package is VERY generous - you can get espresso martinis, old fashioned's etc.  Make sure that you "call" the highest level of liquor you can get. For example you will want a TITOs espresso martini (otherwise it will be well vodka).  This is especially true if you are getting frozen drinks - folks were just asking for "strawberry daiquiris" but not specifying, so they were getting well when they could have gotten a better base liquor.  

When you are onboard PLEASE ask the crew about the Salsa Cruise.  They are more than happy to share their tales 🤪

In the past, I saw postings of the a drink menu for the package.  Was there an EasyPlus menu with specialty or frozen drinks?

7 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

That’s great! Thank you!

I agree it was a sign that you couldn’t get your laptop to connect. It’s nice to completely unplug once in a while!

Will definitely ask the crew about the salsa cruise lol

We also have a large roll on bag filled with stuff for the crew 

Any advice on who to give it to?

I am sure the crew has a lot of tales to share about the Salsa cruise😄

We were supposed to be on that sailing but cancelled and went on RCI instead.  We wont be on Divina until May.

Glad to hear you had a great time and enjoyed delicious food!

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Any advice on who to give it to?

Well the folks who have it the hardest (in my opinion) are the cabin attendants, the "line" workers at the buffets and kitchens and the lower level servers.  They seem to work the hardest and have the least privileges.   

Alternately you can give it to Ms. Mauro (head of Guest Services) and ask her to distribute.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, tkwbear said:

Glad you had a great time, but no chocolate ship nor basket of fruit? I was hoping to get a hat.

I have Gold Status, DH is Diamond and he wasn't traveling. There WERE chocolate ships being given out, but no fruit.  Definitely no hats/lanyards/etc for any return guests at any loyalty level.

And the La Marca prosecco has been changed to an even cheaper one....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tkwbear said:

What do you suggest for "useful gifts"? I usually leave them some extra money for great work, but that won't help if they can't get off the ship.

This has been discussed but some things that have been suggested are:  socks (really!), personal hygiene supplies, bar soap, candy/chocolate (as always), the little manicure kits from the dollar store, etc.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tkwbear said:

What do you suggest for "useful gifts"? I usually leave them some extra money for great work, but that won't help if they can't get off the ship.

If your ship would make a trip to Cozumel do not forget to ask your cabin steward/dinning staffs (if you have a fixed sitting) for their needed.  As learned from previous cruise that cruise staffs can't get off so we offered this to our cabin steward.  One man I ran into at the buffet he brought back a lot of stuffs such shampoo etc the cruise staffs were extremely happy with items.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

I did not get the Fantastica package "free photo" from Med/Italian night because Italian night was the final night and there were no roving photographers.   (I mean, not that I really cared but I was supposed to get it as part of the package).

On the same cruise...

We were able to get our photo.

There were photogs roaming the Black Crab the first three nights during early sitting.

Last night, (Wednesday, Italian Night) we went up with an MDR Photo taken Monday night, when the guy said $24.95 my DW asked about the freebie, he scanned her card and told us one Fantastica MDR photo per cabin and gave it to her no charge.

So at least I got my photo with my White Dinner Jacket on.

The ones they took on the stairs sucked.

I have a question on the free photo. I originally booked Fantastica but won the upgrade to yacht club. Am I still entitled to the Fantastic free photo?  Do they take photos in the yacht club by the roving photographers?

45 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

On the same cruise...

We were able to get our photo.

There were photogs roaming the Black Crab the first three nights during early sitting.

Last night, (Wednesday, Italian Night) we went up with an MDR Photo taken Monday night, when the guy said $24.95 my DW asked about the freebie, he scanned her card and told us one Fantastica MDR photo per cabin and gave it to her no charge.

Ah, the official rules and then the MSC rules ... good for you!  "OFFICIALLY" the only free photo is the Gala/Italian night MDR. But at least you got one 🙂

3 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

This has been discussed but some things that have been suggested are:  socks (really!), personal hygiene supplies, bar soap, candy/chocolate (as always), the little manicure kits from the dollar store, etc.  

Thanks for suggesting these items.  I have wonder since crews have been "stuck" on ships for a long time as to what do they do for toiletries.  

I was on Divina on Sept.24 as my first MSC cruise. I loved Ocean Cay and had a great time. The food was OK but not fantastic, although the pizza was really good. I’m glad to hear it’s better, but aI think some of this is a consequence of the pandemic across lines. My wife and I sailed Princess in October and their buffet wasn’t nearly as good as I remember from our last cruise in 2019.

I’m going back for another 4 day on the Meraviglia in December to see the difference in boats. I REALLY hope we don’t miss Ocean Cay 😞

We went to the Dollar store and stocked up on all kinds of toiletries, protein bars, candy, chips, snacks etc. 

For the females I got some nail polish remover and polish, nail files, ladies disposable razors and feminine stuff.

For the guys disposable razors, shaving stuff, hair products etc. 

toothpaste and mouthwash. Some toothbrushes too  

Edited by styles27
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing this information.  I am sailing on the Divina.  Has anyone rec'd notification about stopping at Montego Bay Jamaica?  I check with some Locals and was told they haven't had ships stop there and the tourism board don't have a record of the ship arriving on Nov 24th.

18 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

They also did not send the note about making reservation to use the "thermal" suite.  

What services did you have to make a reservation for in the "thermal" suite?  Divina does not have much of one to begin with.  Looking to get a Spa Pass in Feb/Mar on the Sunshine but not if I have to make a reservation each time I want to go to the Thermal Spa.