FLL Departure Major Chaos -- why?

margauxNH

We arrived at FLL Saturday morning after our cruise, with more bags than we could easily handle, to find no curb-side bag check at USAir, long line for counter, they don't take the bag either, another long line to finally get rid of the luggage -- and we're not even through security yet!

Why did that experience seem so much worse than any other airport I've been to? Yes there were crowds, but I can deal with lines if I can strip down to my carry-ons.

On the positive side, the security lines, though very long, moved VERY quickly.

It was bad enough that if I ever cruise from FLL again, I'll travel with nothing but two pair of shorts, five T shirts and a swimsuit. Sorry guys I'd love to dress up for formal night, but I just can't carry it all to the airport!

It's not just cruisers, a friend came back from Sandals Montego Bay on Spirit Air and warned me that FLL was a big mess.

Saturdays and Sundays are always nuts at FLL. Not only do you have the regular 7 day cruises on the weekends, but every so often, those line up with the longer cruises that hit FLL on weekends infrequently.

Saturdays and Sundays are always nuts at FLL. Not only do you have the regular 7 day cruises on the weekends, but every so often, those line up with the longer cruises that hit FLL on weekends infrequently.

Also add in that mix, land vacationers as well as locals traveling elsewhere. I agree it can be a nightmare at FLL.

Last March we were at FL airport and it was the absolute worst ever. We live in LA and are use to busy LAX , but the security lines at FL were really awful.Just a mass of humanity moving at a snails pace. We will be flying into and out of FL again next month, I dread it. Last time we were with Air Tran , this time it will be Jet Blue and Song, hopefully it will be better. Any tips from any one would be appreciated.

Cori

I have travelled all over the world, and used literally dozens of airports in North America, Europe and southeast Asia. FLL is absolutely and unconditionally the worst, most poorly run airport I have ever experienced. It is shameful.

The problem seems to be that they are totally unprepared for the onslaught of several cruise ships all disembarking pax at the same time. Given the location and nature of the airport, this is inexcusable. It isn't rocket science...on cruise ship days you need more of everything.

In 1998 or '99 I hit the two brand, spanking new airports at Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur the first week they opened. These are both extremely busy airports, and being brand new' one would expect chaos. They we both far better than FLL on an average day.

Is anyone at FLL listening?

I have travelled all over the world, and used literally dozens of airports in North America, Europe and southeast Asia. FLL is absolutely and unconditionally the worst, most poorly run airport I have ever experienced. It is shameful.

The problem seems to be that they are totally unprepared for the onslaught of several cruise ships all disembarking pax at the same time. Given the location and nature of the airport, this is inexcusable. It isn't rocket science...on cruise ship days you need more of everything.

In 1998 or '99 I hit the two brand, spanking new airports at Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur the first week they opened. These are both extremely busy airports, and being brand new' one would expect chaos. They we both far better than FLL on an average day.

Is anyone at FLL listening?

A large part of the problem has to do with the way that baggage screening is set up. In some airports you just leave your bags and go, in others you have to stay with them until they are checked. When that happens you cannot chaeck and the curb and you cannot get them screened until you check in, the result 3 lines.

Cori, we have an AirTran flight out of FLL next month on a Saturday. How soon should we try to be at the airport for a 12:53 flight. The time was moved up from 1:09. How is AirTran?

Lucy 53: Hi, when we were there , they wouldn't let us check in with our luggage until 2 hrs prior to departure, so there we sat with all our luggage for about 2 hours ( and then our flight was delayed after that). Hopefully that has changed by now. If I were you I would try to arrive by 10 and see if you can check in and get in the security lines. Perhaps we hit it on the worst day of the year, but according to some of these other posts, thats normal. We took a cab from the port, I think it was $20 flat fee, we didn't want to wait and take the cruise ship transfer, they arrived much later. We are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best when we go there in three weeks. This time I booked red eye flights , coming and going, trying to avoid the masses. Good Luck :)

Cori

Archived