Musts in NOLA

macfam5

On 11/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, macfam5 said:

must see’s, do’s & eats in New Orleans. We will have two days there before our cruise. This is our first time to New Orleans

If it was my first time in town I would make sure to have drinks at the Carousel Bar at The Monteleone and make sure to make dinner reservations at Commander's Palace. Those two are central to the quintessential New Orleans experience. I'm sure other folks will have plenty of other options but make sure to do those. 

On 11/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, macfam5 said:

Hi Everyone, looking for recommendations of must see’s, do’s & eats in New Orleans. We will have two days there before our cruise. This is our first time to New Orleans

I am cruising from and visiting NOLA for the first time next year! Following along on this thread for ideas! 

We are definitely going to hit up the Hotel Monteleone (may stay there pre-cruise if the price isn't too high) and the Carousel Bar. 

I would say to check out some of these

Cafe Du Monde for beignets

Central Market for a Muffaletta and head over to Jackson Square to eat it

Lafitte's Blacksmith-which is an old historic bar on Bourbon St

Take a Street Car west on St Charles-get off close to 4th or 5th street and head south to Lafayette Cemetery 1-sounds weird but tons of history in there and there are usually guides outside who walk around and tell you the history-above ground tombs are really cool

Schedule a bicycle tour through the Garden District

French Market

Pat O'Briens for hurricane

• Like 1

We’ve been to New Orleans twice, staying once at the Intercontinental Hotel in the Central Business District before a Mississippi River Cruise and another time at the French Market Inn on Decatur Street in the French Quarter, and both were convenient to the Hop-On Hop-Off Bus, which is a great way to see the sights in New Orleans.  In addition to those must-sees already mentioned, don’t miss St. Louis Cathedral & the Cabaldo and Presbytere museums right off Jackson Square, and plan a few days to spend in the French Quarter & check out the many unique shops, restaurants & museums, including the Court of Two Sisters restaurant, Marie Laveau’s House of Voodoo, the NOLA Pharmacy Museum & the purportedly haunted LaLaurie Mansion on Royal Street (also where the best shops are located!).  Enjoy some pralines as you delight in the live music on every street.  The Mardi Gras Museum, Magazine Street and the Garden District, with its many beautiful old homes, are all accessible by the HO HO bus.  Among others, Sandra Bullock and Brad Pitt own homes here.  (Brad Pitt was instrumental in helping rebuild the city after Hurricane Katrina.)  Lafayette Cemetery is located in the Garden District & a walking tour was included with the HO HO bus fare at the time we visited.  We also toured St. Louis 1 & both cemeteries are fascinating.  There's also the sprawling Metarie Cemetery in Metarie, which we plan to visit next time.  Additionally, there's a Civil War Museum (which we have yet to visit) and the National WWII Museum, which is incredible.  Some will recommend taking one of the street cars that crisscross the city, but we found them to be extremely crowded & bumpy, although it’s a good way to see City Park and Lake Ponchartrain.  BTW, we’ve visited the city in May & it was hot and in April and it rained heavily most of the time.  US News says the best time to visit is February through May.  Whenever you go, I know that you’ll have a fabulous time!

• Like 1

Sorry, I just re-read your original post & I see that you only have two days, which is what we had before our Mississippi River cruise.  We did the HO HO bus first & rode the full route to get an idea of the city, then spent our time on the attractions around Jackson Square and walked the French Quarter, enjoying some of the great restaurants & shops, saw St. Louis 1 cemetery, visited the French Market, and ate beignets at Café Du Monde.  Have a great visit!